OMG Rush on American Idol

krlowe

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Feb 1 2012, 09:29 PM)
Video clip now online for those who missed it.

Click HERE to watch (assuming YouTube doesn't remove it...)

The Idol editor should get an Emmy for the timing of the actual TS backing music coming in! laugh.gif Classic!

Mountain Home is a very small place. Wonder how the town will react.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that last night. That was just horrid to listen to. It's just the worst listening to people try to sound like Geddy. He has such a unique voice, so few people can sing like that and actually sound cool doing it.

This kid summed up 99% of every rush cover ive ever heard. They're all just embarrassing to listen to.

I felt bad for that kid because he obviously thought he sounded good, but noone wants to listen to that voice on an album. He should just find something else to do like the judges said. At least they didnt lie to him. Or at least try to sing in his natural singing voice, not imitate someone with such a distinct style.

I think it's SO COOL that Rush made the show in some way! And Randy's compliment was awesome - usually Rush get slammed for their vocals, so for him to say something nice about Geddy in front of a national audience was really cool.

Did you notice how geeky and nerdy the guy was singing the song? Nothing wrong with geeky or nerdy, mind you, but we're certainly not breaking THAT stereotype in this instance. wink.gif

Nothing wrong with Geddy's vocals, of course, but I would never, EVER, choose a Rush song to display my singing prowess (if I had any wink.gif ). Ged's voice is so unique, that anyone other than him singing Rush songs sound weird, no matter how well they can sing. Have you guys heard the Working Man tribute to Rush? The weak link in every single track is the vocals...either trying to impersonate Geddy or doing something different in the arrangements, all vocalists there failed miserably IMO.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 2 2012, 11:03 AM)
I think it's SO COOL that Rush made the show in some way! And Randy's compliment was awesome - usually Rush get slammed for their vocals, so for him to say something nice about Geddy in front of a national audience was really cool.

Did you notice how geeky and nerdy the guy was singing the song? Nothing wrong with geeky or nerdy, mind you, but we're certainly not breaking THAT stereotype in this instance. wink.gif

No, noone noticed how nerdy that kid was. wink.gif

He looks like much of what ive seen at Rush concerts. I think most people think thats what many Rush fans look like.

As soon as he mentioned he was singing Rush, I was like, "Oh it figures..."

eh.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Feb 2 2012, 11:28 AM)
Nothing wrong with Geddy's vocals, of course, but I would never, EVER, choose a Rush song to display my singing prowess (if I had any wink.gif ). Ged's voice is so unique, that anyone other than him singing Rush songs sound weird, no matter how well they can sing. Have you guys heard the Working Man tribute to Rush? The weak link in every single track is the vocals...either trying to impersonate Geddy or doing something different in the arrangements, all vocalists there failed miserably IMO.

This pretty much sums up almost every Rush cover ive ever seen on youtube. Most of them are just painful to listen to. Even if the singer is technically good, just trying to sound like Geddy almost never works well and they usually just end up sounding really corny and overly dramatic.

I wish these people would just sing normal, in their god given singing voice, which is NOT Geddy's voice. He sings like that because thats just how he sings, well if you werent born to sing just like that, then dont.

Id much rather hear a singer sing Rush in their natural singing voice. You can tell this kid can sing, he's got a vibrato and some control, but he sounds like a complete idiot because he's trying to sound like Geddy, and only Geddy can sound cool singing like that because he isnt forcing it.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 2 2012, 05:56 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Feb 2 2012, 12:47 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 1 2012, 07:40 PM)
What about the voice of Geddy Lee?
How did it get so high?
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
(I know him and he does!)

Ok partner! I have your back!

Great lyrical quote!

Pavement!

trink39.gif

And you're my fact-checking cuz!

Pavement were/are off the charts. Love them.

QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 2 2012, 08:32 AM)
I think it's SO COOL that Rush made the show in some way!  And Randy's compliment was awesome - usually Rush get slammed for their vocals, so for him to say something nice about Geddy in front of a national audience was really cool.

Did you notice how geeky and nerdy the guy was singing the song?  Nothing wrong with geeky or nerdy, mind you, but we're certainly not breaking THAT stereotype in this instance. wink.gif

He looks like much of what ive seen at Rush concerts. I think most people think thats what many Rush fans look like.

eh.gif

I was relaying the idol scene to my wife and made a comment about how much of a nerd the guy was...

Without missing a beat, she says, "A nerdy guy signing Rush? Shocking!!! Duh! You're an accountant..."

pokey.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 2 2012, 08:32 AM)
I think it's SO COOL that Rush made the show in some way!  And Randy's compliment was awesome - usually Rush get slammed for their vocals, so for him to say something nice about Geddy in front of a national audience was really cool.

Did you notice how geeky and nerdy the guy was singing the song?  Nothing wrong with geeky or nerdy, mind you, but we're certainly not breaking THAT stereotype in this instance. wink.gif

eh.gif

I was relaying the idol scene to my wife and made a comment about how much of a nerd the guy was...

Without missing a beat, she says, "A nerdy guy signing Rush? Shocking!!! Duh! You're an accountant..."

pokey.gif

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Feb 1 2012, 10:42 PM)
Poor guy. Gallant effort, though.

Interesting aside: Steven Tyler said absolutely nothing, and I'm not sure it was just due to the lackluster performance. Didn't Aerosmith basically shit on Rush when they were starting out? He seems like a jerk.

Must be jealous that Rush has musicians that can actually play!

I just figured Tyler was high, still.

QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 2 2012, 11:35 AM)
This pretty much sums up almost every Rush cover ive ever seen on youtube. Most of them are just painful to listen to. Even if the singer is technically good, just trying to sound like Geddy almost never works well and they usually just end up sounding really corny and overly dramatic.

Have you seen the Jacob Moon cover? If not, definitely check it out.

If I were going to be on American Idol, I'd find some way to sing Bravado. I think that song would work really well singing in a non-Geddy voice.

QUOTE (trenken @ Feb 2 2012, 11:32 AM)

eh.gif

I do not dress the part of geek at all, but yes literally every Rush fan I have run into has been extremely geeky. I guess it takes intelligence to get into 2.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

i know we as people (especially americants) love watching cases of harsh criticism, humiliation, and people forced into uncomfortable situations

but you think at least here on trf more people would be siding with the fellow rush fan than some ass hole tv star. oh well.

That was about as bad as a representation of a Rush fan we could have asked for.

So in essence the time tested sterotype of nerdy D&D geeks making up 95% of Rush fans in the world lives on.

Oh brother.

And sorry those that are D&D nerdy Rush fans. I love you guys.

Just saying.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Feb 2 2012, 02:00 PM)
i know we as people (especially americants) love watching cases of harsh criticism, humiliation, and people forced into uncomfortable situations

but you think at least here on trf more people would be siding with the fellow rush fan than some ass hole tv star. oh well.

I was rooting for the kid. As soon as he said I will be singing Tom Sawyer from Rush I lept from my chair.

Then he sucked ass.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Feb 2 2012, 01:50 PM)

Have you seen the Jacob Moon cover? If not, definitely check it out.

If I were going to be on American Idol, I'd find some way to sing Bravado. I think that song would work really well singing in a non-Geddy voice.

If someone can really sing...there are so many great "vocal" driven Rush songs to choose from.

Totally agree.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 2 2012, 03:33 PM)
Rush music on American Idol just ain't natural...period!

It would not offend me at all. I am always hoping to see someone with a real voice have the balls to roll out songs from bands like Rush or floyd, Yes, Porcupine Tree.

It would be great.

It won't win a popularity contest but it sure would be cool. And to me that show lacks "hip" in a bad way!