The New Guy

PrismEye

Hey, I'm a new member of the 2.gif forum (after checking back to it almost every day since June 2011 and enjoying the fine commentaries and posts from fans of like mind), and I figured I should introduce myself, exercising some type of "forum etiquette".

Currently, I'm really digging "Caress of Steel", "Signals", "Hemispheres", and "Grace Under Pressure"; all albums that seem to have been placed next to more popular or better selling records.

Any thoughts on these records?

Well, COS and Hemispheres are my top two albums. I think we'd get along just fine. As Union 5-3992 stated, all pre HYF albums are wonderful.

I'm such a sucker for the epics. COS-Hemispheres is where it's at. trink39.gif

I don't think I can listen to Alex's fretwork in 'The Necromancer' and not have some kind of cosmic moment (sober or with some 'help'). The Fountain just means so much on so many levels.

The entire Hemispheres album is just so balsy-in your face rockin-exploratory-look what the f I can do-self indulgant brilliance. Can't be matched. EVER. It should be what every want to be rocker aspires to.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jan 25 2012, 09:18 PM)
I don't think I can listen to Alex's fretwork in 'The Necromancer' and not have some kind of cosmic moment (sober or with some 'help'). The Fountain just means so much on so many levels.

The entire Hemispheres album is just so balsy-in your face rockin-exploratory-look what the f I can do-self indulgant brilliance. Can't be matched. EVER. It should be what every want to be rocker aspires to.

Wow - I've never felt this understood!! wink.gif

I've always felt, from the first time I heard it, Lamneth is SO under appreciated! Most people dismiss the song as a "stepping stone" to 2112, and there is an obvious progression from one to the next, but there's so much more going on underneath the surface!!

-Alex's chorus-drenched guitar

-Geddy developing his signature gritty and active playing style

-And Neil, in the worlds of Jack Black, "right on the nuggets"

QUOTE (PrismEye @ Jan 25 2012, 09:57 PM)
Hey, I'm a new member of the 2.gif forum (after checking back to it almost every day since June 2011 and enjoying the fine commentaries and posts from fans of like mind), and I figured I should introduce myself, exercising some type of "forum etiquette".

Currently, I'm really digging "Caress of Steel", "Signals", "Hemispheres", and "Grace Under Pressure"; all albums that seem to have been placed next to more popular or better selling records.

Any thoughts on these records?

You have crappy taste in music. wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jan 25 2012, 09:44 PM)
Great choices, try to snag Counterparts as well it's a great album too! trink38.gif

yes.gif

Even though the two albums before this they retired the keyboard sound, Counterparts was Alex's official comeback after the synth era. If you like the guitar driven Rush sound then you should like CP.

bekloppt.gif trink39.gif

Welcome to TRF!

Hemispheres is one of my favorites. And I love Grace a lot.... oh heck, it's all good AFAIC. biggrin.gif

Welcome PrismEye! Hope you enjoy it here!

It's cool you have favorites from different eras. The synth era is my fave, and GUP and Signals are my #2 and #3 favorite Rush albums, after Power Windows (and GUP could take the top spot some days).

Caress of Steel has really grown on me since I've come to understand what Fountain is about, and used it to help me through a loss of a loved one (I'm a recently serious fan, so this took place over the last year and a half). I love all the different musical styles in the Necromancer, and even like the poignant but humorously defiant Going Bald! Geddy's vocals are a little off for me in Lakeside Park, but once I get over that, this album will rank a lot higher on my list.

Hemispheres is my only full-length colored vinyl in the records I started collecting last year, so it has a special place among their albums that's associated with that.

Have you been a fan a while? I see our last Rush show is the same one - Hershey, PA. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

See you around! bekloppt.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (PrismEye @ Jan 25 2012, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jan 25 2012, 09:18 PM)
I don't think I can listen to Alex's fretwork in 'The Necromancer' and not have some kind of cosmic moment (sober or with some 'help').  The Fountain just means so much on so many levels.

The entire Hemispheres album is just so balsy-in your face rockin-exploratory-look what the f I can do-self indulgant brilliance.  Can't be matched.  EVER.  It should be what every want to be rocker aspires to.

Wow - I've never felt this understood!! wink.gif

I've always felt, from the first time I heard it, Lamneth is SO under appreciated! Most people dismiss the song as a "stepping stone" to 2112, and there is an obvious progression from one to the next, but there's so much more going on underneath the surface!!

-Alex's chorus-drenched guitar

-Geddy developing his signature gritty and active playing style

-And Neil, in the worlds of Jack Black, "right on the nuggets"

Thank you for understanding me as well. trink39.gif It certainly is a great feeling when someone else REALLY GETS what you are passionate about as well.

Another Hemispheres comment: It was definately a 'light bulb' moment for me when watching 'Beyond The Lighted Stage' and Neil was discussing La Villa. He basically said that song was the apex of what they could accomplish.

So, I stick to my original statement that Hemispheres couldn't be duplicated. Even Rush couldn't match that again. That is why it is so awesome.

I listen to Hemispheres and Signals regularly since both albums contain some of my absolute favorite Rush songs. Not so much Caress of Steel and Grace Under Pressure. I guess they are too stuck in their time. They're good albums, just not great.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 25 2012, 10:58 PM)
Have you been a fan a while? I see our last Rush show is the same one - Hershey, PA. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

See you around! bekloppt.gif

Well, I grew up with the Moving Pictures album; half the songs were on classic rock radio and I think YYZ was in a Guitar Hero game awhile back.

Sometime in October '10 heard my friend Ryan talking about some album called "2112" at school one day, and a week later I saw it at Walmart for $7.00, so I figured it was worth a shot. At the time, I had just stopped listening to rap, and I was listening to punk and rock --- 2112 changed my life, opening the doors of progressive rock and jazz fusion to enter my ears.

Later in the year, I "borrowed" a kid's Rush collection (Rush - Snakes & Arrows) and then I moved to NC (along with the CDs).

So that's my "Rush Testimony" smile.gif

And yeah, Hershey was my first Rush show; I brought my brother who hated the band with me and he's listened to Hemispheres almost every week since!

Welcome to TRF PrismEye! bekloppt.gif

Apart from six songs that I'm not so fond of, I love all their albums. I got into the band about 3/4 years ago and Time Machine was my first Rush concert.

I hope you enjoy it here!

2.gif Rocks!

Hemisheres in my personal opinion was ahead of its time. I listen to it a lot on long car rides or sitting in traffic. It's a great concept album just like 2112. I never get tired of listening to them both.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jan 25 2012, 09:03 PM)
Good picks. You can't really make any wrong choices pre Hold Your Fire

Words of wisdom. If you do venture beyond this album, you may find yourself doing http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/225012/wtf.gif

Edited by GeminiRising79

Hey The New Guy and everyone! I'm a new guy too so I suppose I should also introduce myself, if it's forum etiquette. My name is Sam and this is the first forum I've joined.

It looks like a really cool place so far.

I play bass and guitar, and almost everything I play is Rush or Rush-inspired. I plan on posting some bass/vocal covers on the Music of the Spheres section, (I think that's where that would go) and I look forward to learning more about and embracing the holy trinity with my fellow Rush fans.

Nice to meet everyone!