Van Halen single "TATTOO" - reaction thread

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 10 2012, 11:29 AM)
I was never the biggest Van Halen fan, but the songs can get under your skin after a while.

Yeah...they're fun for about 15 minutes or so at a party then after that I don't need to hear them for 6 months or so.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2012, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 10 2012, 01:24 PM)
friends, co-workers and acquaintances, summing it up nicely:

http://i.imgur.com/jR5J9.jpg

facebook comments used to back up your views? Uh huh...

wacko.gif

Oddly I could post as many praising it. But clearly the man's hell-bent on not only not liking it, but making sure everyone else has a sense of what others think about it too. Wonder what he gets if he "wins"...?

Yeah....open-minded. rofl3.gif

Ironically he went on about sad 40 year olds claiming to love it in a desperate attempt to hold onto their youths or some dramatic hyperbole like that (blah, blah) and yet doesn't see the irony of his desperate re-posting of facebook statuses to malign the song. biggrin.gif

ghostworks is merely the pathetic flipside to the "lap it up" fanboy he so eagerly labels anyone who dares say, "Hey, I like it!"

Weak.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 10 2012, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2012, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 10 2012, 01:24 PM)
friends, co-workers and acquaintances, summing it up nicely:

http://i.imgur.com/jR5J9.jpg

facebook comments used to back up your views? Uh huh...

wacko.gif

Oddly I could post as many praising it. But clearly the man's hell-bent on not only not liking it, but making sure everyone else has a sense of what others think about it too. Wonder what he gets if he "wins"...?

Yeah....open-minded. rofl3.gif

Ironically he went on about sad 40 year olds claiming to love it in a desperate attempt to hold onto their youths or some dramatic hyperbole like that (blah, blah) and yet doesn't see the irony of his desperate re-posting of facebook statuses to malign the song. biggrin.gif

ghostworks is merely the pathetic flipside to the "lap it up" fanboy he so eagerly labels anyone who dares say, "Hey, I like it!"

Weak.

Aye...

The irony is Ghostworks is probably just the kind of guy who would normally ridicule someone for using facebook...

laugh.gif

This post on youtube seems to aptly perfectly sum up what's wrong with most negative commenters on this subject:

was going to post something derogatory but now i've actually heard their new song. there's nothing bad i can say at all. really like it a hell of a lot.

So....he was going to post negative things about it before he heard it? Yeah, that sounds about right.

These are the guys you're quoting, ghostworks. biggrin.gif Brilliant.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 11 2012, 09:18 AM)
I can imagine someone not liking it, but saying it's a pile of crap? Come on, guys...

I've actually heard the song a few times now, and love it!!! Bring on the full CD!!!

It's ok that's all confused13.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 10 2012, 03:33 PM)
This post on youtube seems to aptly perfectly sum up what's wrong with most negative commenters on this subject:

was going to post something derogatory but now i've actually heard their new song. there's nothing bad i can say at all. really like it a hell of a lot.

So....he was going to post negative things about it before he heard it? Yeah, that sounds about right.

These are the guys you're quoting, ghostworks. biggrin.gif Brilliant.

Yeah but I can't totally discount that approach either. To me, a great deal of

VH's music sounds very much the same. The guy was just hedging his bets

for predictability.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 10 2012, 03:52 PM)
Its alright. I hope the new album will have more variety or it'll be pretty dull.

Pardon the "via youtube interpretation" thing (so bear with me), but this version is sonically clearer than the live bootlegs that exist. Anyhow, here's another song on the record, for comparison, for those concerned that Tattoo is a bit too mid-tempo and blah:

Bullethead

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 10 2012, 04:01 PM)
Its alright. I hope the new album will have more variety or it'll be pretty dull.

Pardon the "via youtube interpretation" thing (so bear with me), but this version is sonically clearer than the live bootlegs that exist. Anyhow, here's another song on the record, for comparison, for those concerned that Tattoo is a bit too mid-tempo and blah:

Bullethead

That one's awesome and way better! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 10 2012, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 10 2012, 04:01 PM)

Bullethead

That one's awesome and way better! 1022.gif

You're welcome. biggrin.gif

Have faith, people.

trink39.gif

It's far from being a great song, it's good. I'll take it. All in all, it's not bad. It has a nice groove, a killer guitar solo and, at times, a catchy melody. I can't imagine there aren't better songs on the album. Hopefully the strategy is "leave 'em underwhelmed at first" then hit 'em with the hard stuff.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 10 2012, 08:29 AM)
I was never the biggest Van Halen fan, but the songs can get under your skin after a while. This one is an utter piece of crap. Maybe there are better songs to come, but I'm thinking that excitement is overwhelming objectivity here.

I seriously disagree. That sounds like you trying to justify why people disagree with you (admittedly, something I've been guilty of myself). First off, most people seem to not like it or hate it, so that can hardly be construed as a general sense of "excitement." Secondly, I fully expected to not like or hate it, and I love it. If I wasn't being objective, I would find something not to like about it to justify my expectations. I would argue that most people are fully qualified to listen to something with an objective ear and decide if they legitimately like something or not regardless of what they thought or expected going in.

That said, time and critical distance is always a factor. I did notice after S&A came out that the overwhelming response was positive, and a few months or a year later people's opinions started to turn to a degree (not everyone obviously) towards the negative. I myself had it briefly as their #4 album, and quickly it sank to #14, which is where it stays for me, but still I think it's a really good album. Was that excitement clouding my objectivity? Perhaps, but the songs I immediately loved never faltered for me. It was the lesser songs I initially liked (not loved), where eventually I could no longer overlook their deficiencies.

I have to say that personally I find the hatred towards the song (your "utter piece of crap" comment is not unique) to be sad, especially as I am enormously pleasantly surprised, but then again I'm used to being in the minority opinion. As far as I'm concerned, however, Van Halen is BACK... 28 years later! The song is so much more than I would have ever thought possible of them. Of course, I might hate the rest of the album, but time will tell. I remain open-minded, and when I hear it, my assessment will be an objective one.

One more word on this whole not liking the song because it's a re-working of an old song.

I've been thinking more about this, and I sincerely think that not liking the song solely for this reason (if that's the case for anyone) is a ridiculous reason to hate on it IMHO.

The song either sounds great to you or it doesn't. Why should it matter when it was written? I never would have even known this was a reworked song unless the Van Halen geeks who know all their demos and everything they've ever done told me so. What if you never knew that, heard the song and loved it, and then later found out it wasn't written solely in 2011? Would you then hate it or start feeling disappointed or cheated or disgruntled in some way? We're not talking Milli Vanilli here.

It just doesn't make any sense to me, but then again some people seem incapable of being interested in the band because of the way Michael Anthony was ousted. Everyone's entitled to their views and their opinions and their principles, but I'm glad none of this is getting in the way of me loving a great song. If you objectively don't like the song or hate it without any of that stuff getting in the way, great, you just don't like it. I just wish people could listen without a whole host of extraneous factors getting in their way of an objective opinion of whether the song just plain old sounds good to their ears or not.

Edited by rushgoober

My local radio station has been playing Tattoo all day.

As others have stated, it's bad. Very boring, underwhelming and disappointing.

I usually reserve judgment until after I've heard a song many times as I never LIKE a song the first time I hear it...but I must say if this is any indication and the best they could come up with for a single, we're in trouble!