Van Halen single "TATTOO" - reaction thread

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 10 2012, 05:51 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2012, 01:57 AM)
I'll post the album cover just because there's a guy in the thread now called "turbine freight" which fits the album artwork a little bit...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Van_Halen_-_A_Different_Kind_of_Truth.jpg

Buddy!!!

I've had this artwork on my iPhone for weeks!!!

I AM ADDICTED!!!

VAN HALEN IS BACK! F THE VAN HATERS!!!!!!!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Even 1001001 might be impressed.

I've seen the artwork for a while too, but I wasn't sure it was the album artwork...

I like it, it looks like a Van Halen cover...

trink38.gif

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2012, 01:43 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 10 2012, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 9 2012, 03:57 PM)
This might be the METAL album of the year!

1022.gif

METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR FOR SURE!

F THE VAN HATERS!!!!!

I can't get the chorus out of my head! I'm hooked! Can't wait to hear the guitar solo on this song.

It will probably be better than anything Alex does on "Far Cry." LOL!

I have the song on now on youtube...

It does sound like a DLR song...

It's not bad...pretty sweet...

Eddie doesn't seem to have recovered the brown sound exactly but it's pretty beefy and somewhat dirty...a deep, swirling distortion, it's like Ed couldn't resist adding most of his favourite effects. The solo is decent, not vintage but perfectly acceptable Ed style fare...

I don't notice Wolfgang...

For some reason the repeated line "Tattoo" makes me think of Fantasy Island, Dave should have finished the song off with cries of "de plane, de plane!"

It's kind of jazzy in some ways, mainly Dave's delivery...

On the second listen, the rhythm guitar parts are very cool...

I like it Earl and I'll be picking that album right up...

1022.gif

trink39.gif

Duck!

I have known you for six fukking years now! You and I are always connected with music no matter what genre!!

I see I have a few pms to respond too. It's been a while.

I better hit the hay. It's 3 AM here.

I love the new song soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!

Wolfie seems in the background on this song but he impressed the hell out of me on "She's The Woman."

I am a David Lee Roth Addict. To me "Tattoo" actually reminds me a little bit of "Sensible Shoes."

Still though Eddie's guitar makes me fukkin' smile.

He's back. Love the hair. Alex is Alex. The Van Halen brothers still seem to have zero body fat.

Wolfgang didn't get that gene but who cares. The kid can play.

Maybe they used Pro Tools on David's voice but the official video is great.

I can't wait to spend tons of money on this band.

Life is fuckking short.

Live Long And Prosper.

1022.gif

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2012, 03:54 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2012, 05:40 AM)
tongue.gif treeduck

confused13.gif

from a different VH thread about this song:

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 6 2012, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2012, 06:11 PM)
I gotta say, based on that 30 seconds I'm not that impressed, but it is just a tiny clip with bad sound seemingly from some random place within the song.  Hopefully the full song (and album) will be much better.  Just my opinion...

Well obviously you don't like it Gazzer...

1 It's not 70s prog or esoteric krautrock

2 It's not KISS

3 It's going to be released after 1987

tongue.gif

and you assumed i would hate it! tongue.gif

just goes to show, a crappy sounding 30 second clip meant nothing - i didn't even recognize that clip in listening to the whole song. on my 4th listen - this is a kick ass song, earl! trink39.gif 1022.gif

Has anyone noticed how quiet Sammy has been lately? I haven't read any comments from him about the latest moves in the Van Halen camp...he might be growing even bigger from swallowing his pride than he already was.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 10 2012, 04:00 AM)
Has anyone noticed how quiet Sammy has been lately? I haven't read any comments from him about the latest moves in the Van Halen camp...he might be growing even bigger from swallowing his pride than he already was.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

I love the Red Rocker but in Sam Halen forget about it! Pure Pop Poop!!!!!!

I have Sammy's book and I read it. He was abducted by aliens?

Give me a break.

David Lee Roth is the REAL DEAL! He is an EMT too.

How cool is "The Ice Cream Man?"

Diamond Dave!!!!! My HERO! 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 10 2012, 05:58 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2012, 01:43 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 10 2012, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 9 2012, 03:57 PM)
This might be the METAL album of the year!

1022.gif

METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR FOR SURE!

F THE VAN HATERS!!!!!

I can't get the chorus out of my head! I'm hooked! Can't wait to hear the guitar solo on this song.

It will probably be better than anything Alex does on "Far Cry." LOL!

I have the song on now on youtube...

It does sound like a DLR song...

It's not bad...pretty sweet...

Eddie doesn't seem to have recovered the brown sound exactly but it's pretty beefy and somewhat dirty...a deep, swirling distortion, it's like Ed couldn't resist adding most of his favourite effects. The solo is decent, not vintage but perfectly acceptable Ed style fare...

I don't notice Wolfgang...

For some reason the repeated line "Tattoo" makes me think of Fantasy Island, Dave should have finished the song off with cries of "de plane, de plane!"

It's kind of jazzy in some ways, mainly Dave's delivery...

On the second listen, the rhythm guitar parts are very cool...

I like it Earl and I'll be picking that album right up...

1022.gif

trink39.gif

Duck!

I have known you for six fukking years now! You and I are always connected with music no matter what genre!!

I see I have a few pms to respond too. It's been a while.

I better hit the hay. It's 3 AM here.

I love the new song soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!

Wolfie seems in the background on this song but he impressed the hell out of me on "She's The Woman."

I am a David Lee Roth Addict. To me "Tattoo" actually reminds me a little bit of "Sensible Shoes."

Still though Eddie's guitar makes me fukkin' smile.

He's back. Love the hair. Alex is Alex. The Van Halen brothers still seem to have zero body fat.

Wolfgang didn't get that gene but who cares. The kid can play.

Maybe they used Pro Tools on David's voice but the official video is great.

I can't wait to spend tons of money on this band.

Life is fuckking short.

Live Long And Prosper.

1022.gif

Earl while you're here I've sent you about 12 PMs about UFO's new album Last of the Bone Riders and Accept's Stalingrad! Don't give up on these bands Earl, half their income comes from your Japanese purchases! laugh.gif

Props to Dave. His performance on Me Wise Magic, while a fine enough song, was much shakier than he is here 16 years later. You don't always know what to expect with Dave, especially live, but here in the studio (fixes or not)...he did quite well. People really ragging on his voice on the song are off base. There are some moments of reach, indeed, but as there are with most aged rockers on some level or another. Quite honestly his was the performance I most worried about and one song in, he's doing fine. If the rest of the record carries this kind of vocal performance and swagger, I'll be pleased.

I know there's a reliance on old material going into this thing, but also nice to hear a great guitar tone from Edward too. After the noodling quality of 3 and some of the hyper compressed tones of some of the other one off tunes (Up For Breakfast...the earlier Dave tunes....3), I think the tonality is a marked improvement. I miss Mike, but this song doesn't really scream for high backgrounds either. Works naturally without it. Not sure what they're doing on the studio version of She's The Woman, but Wolfie pulled that off fine, so I'm guessing he provided backgrounds (with Ed) where needed? We'll see.

A nice little curveball, but hardly a bad one. I think some folks legitmately don't like this song and that's perfectly fine and others were simply caught off guard by a tune not quite as frantic or riffy as the afore-mentioned She's The Woman, especially since they just played that one live and got fans excited. But I like when the band zigs instead of zags too. Those throwing the baby out with the bath water I'm going to say were a bit itchy to look for flaws to begin with. Hyperbole is RAMPANT in the age of the internet, but it's just something you get used to.

For people of realistic expectations this was a fun little twist and in some ways I'm as excited as ever if not more so to hear the other tracks. For me tempo's not the key. Some people only like it if the song makes them want to bounce across the room, but this song had a killer cool vibe to it and some lyrics that are f***ing FAR more interesting than what Sammy brought to the table in '04. (Up For Breakfast and the junior high level innuendos and guffaws!). Dave is great with lines like "...housewife to bombshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo" and the line just rolls right out too. Nicely done. Another verse I love is: "Uncle Danny had a gold tattoo; He fought for the unions, some of us still do; On my shoulder is a number of the chapter he was in; That number is forever like the struggle here to win..."

I'd add to that list the delivery "....so very autobiographic." He just exudes those old "Dave-isms" there.

First off, I hear some complaining its too pop? Has anyone ever listened to Van Halen before? Jump...Pretty Woman...Dance the night away......

Van Halen was never exactly Slayer.

Anyhoo, its not bad. Its not a world beater for a first single if you want to blow peoples minds but its cool.

It is disappointing to hear they tapped into a song they played back in 78 as there first single. That doesn't exactly paint a picture of inspiration for there creative juices in 2012.

I will keep an open mind and see what comes but I'm not expecting anything earth shattering based on a first song that was written over 30 years ago. Not a great sign.

atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 10 2012, 05:56 AM)
It is disappointing to hear they tapped into a song they played back in 78 as there first single. That doesn't exactly paint a picture of inspiration for there creative juices in 2012.
I will keep an open mind and see what comes but I'm not expecting anything earth shattering based on a first song that was written over 30 years ago. Not a great sign.
atickhum.gif

You know, that doesn't have to be a negative thing.

A personal example:

I wrote a poetry book that I self-published. I went through an enormous stack of poems I wrote from between 20-25 years to start. I took out the very best ones, and even some of those I tweaked. Then I used parts of ones I wrote back then and incorporated them into brand new poems. Some I wrote newly from scratch. Recently my aunt died, and my mother read a very appropriate poem of mine at the memorial service. I laughed a little inside when she read it, because most of the poem was written a few months ago, but one paragraph was written 20 years ago.

To go back to one's original inspiration of good or great ideas, update them into the present and also to add in brand new stuff can result in a great product. Maybe if they do another album it will be all from scratch. What's important is whether the album rocks and is awesome or not.

Just my 2 cents...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2012, 08:23 AM)
atickhum.gif

A personal example:

I wrote a poetry book that I self-published. I went through an enormous stack of poems I wrote from between 20-25 years to start. I took out the very best ones, and even some of those I tweaked. Then I used parts of ones I wrote back then and incorporated them into brand new poems. Some I wrote newly from scratch. Recently my aunt died, and my mother read a very appropriate poem of mine at the memorial service. I laughed a little inside when she read it, because most of the poem was written a few months ago, but one paragraph was written 20 years ago.

To go back to one's original inspiration of good or great ideas, update them into the present and also to add in brand new stuff can result in a great product. Maybe if they do another album it will be all from scratch. What's important is whether the album rocks and is awesome or not.

Just my 2 cents...

Maybe they're simply picking up where they left off!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2012, 08:23 AM)
atickhum.gif

A personal example:

Just my 2 cents...

I agree. It doesn't matter where or WHEN a song comes from, as long as it rocks.

I put Tattoo on repeat since I arrived at work today, and it's growing on me. I like it, the solo is kickass, Dave's vocals don't suck, and yes, it's kind of poppy and catchy, as Van Halen alwas were!

And there you have it folks...you get Chickenfoot AND Van Halen with good outputs almost at the same time.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 10 2012, 07:52 AM)
For people of realistic expectations this was a fun little twist and in some ways I'm as excited as ever if not more so to hear the other tracks. For me tempo's not the key. Some people only like it if the song makes them want to bounce across the room, but this song had a killer cool vibe to it and some lyrics that are f***ing FAR more interesting than what Sammy brought to the table in '04. (Up For Breakfast and the junior high level innuendos and guffaws!). Dave is great with lines like "...housewife to bombshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo" and the line just rolls right out too. Nicely done. Another verse I love is: "Uncle Danny had a gold tattoo; He fought for the unions, some of us still do; On my shoulder is a number of the chapter he was in; That number is forever like the struggle here to win..."

I always thought Dave was a better lyricist than Sammy. Sammy relied on cliches far too much. Dave puts his own twist on things. I listened to "Tattoo" again and concentrated on the lyrics. They're good. They fit the melody and they are interesting and intelligent. I think David Lee Roth is underrated as a lyricist.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2012, 09:23 AM)
atickhum.gif

A personal example:

Just my 2 cents...

Yeah but that's different as far as I'm concerned. You were tapping into a lifetime of unpublished works to make your ultimate compilation. Its your best work. Nothing wrong with that.

Van Halen on the other hand should be out to prove they have something left in tank considering this is the first album with Roth in over 25 years.

Its not that I have a problem with Tatoo being included on the album, its the fact they didn't start off with something new that could say...Hey bitches, look what we still have left!

You get what I'm saying?

On a side note, ave you guys noticed how the new video is kind of a homage to the Jump video? Just 4 guys goofing off on stage and nothing else. It has a similar sort of vibe, whether intentional or not.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jan 10 2012, 06:30 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2012, 09:23 AM)
atickhum.gif

A personal example:

Just my 2 cents...

Yeah but that's different as far as I'm concerned. You were tapping into a lifetime of unpublished works to make your ultimate compilation. Its your best work. Nothing wrong with that.

Van Halen on the other hand should be out to prove they have something left in tank considering this is the first album with Roth in over 25 years.

Its not that I have a problem with Tatoo being included on the album, its the fact they didn't start off with something new that could say...Hey bitches, look what we still have left!

You get what I'm saying?

I hear what you're saying, and I agree on general principle, but that's all somewhat moot to me as I think it's a great song. If the whole album rocks, I'll just be happy for a great new Van Halen album with DLR 28 years after I thought it would never happen again.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 10 2012, 06:51 AM)

VAN HALEN IS BACK! F THE VAN HATERS!!!!!!!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Even 1001001 might be impressed.

I doubt it. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 10 2012, 08:41 AM)
On a side note, ave you guys noticed how the new video is kind of a homage to the Jump video? Just 4 guys goofing off on stage and nothing else. It has a similar sort of vibe, whether intentional or not.

I think that's more because it was a way to do an inexpensive shoot. biggrin.gif I like that it's in black and white though. Nice touch.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 10 2012, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 10 2012, 07:52 AM)

I always thought Dave was a better lyricist than Sammy. Sammy relied on cliches far too much. Dave puts his own twist on things. I listened to "Tattoo" again and concentrated on the lyrics. They're good. They fit the melody and they are interesting and intelligent. I think David Lee Roth is underrated as a lyricist.

I think so too. He gets dismissed as a goof by those who don't like him, but he's no dummy. He's a wise ass, but he's a good wordsmith. Often clever. Usually has something to say.

Sammy had his moments. A song like Seventh Seal is pretty great. Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do...another. But he's either doing something insightful and cool or pretty damn dumb. Certainly cliche. He doesn't know the true meaning of clever in his lyrics. Not a bash either...I like Sammy.

Up For Breakfast may just be the most unlistenable VH song ever, lyrically-speaking. It's what I'd have scribbled down in the 6th grade. Ironically then Hagar scores on Learning To See from the same sessions. He's a head-scratcher.

Edited by Presto-digitation