Van Halen single "TATTOO" - reaction thread

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't care much for it. It was sub par to Van Halen's previous work. And I hate the word "Hater". That implies that people hate it for fun and not because they actually dislike it. It is like saying that Van Halen is above failure. They aren't and neither is anybody else. Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, but I dislike Coda. If I commented on my dislike of Coda, I'm sure I'd get a "STFU! CODA IS THEIR BESTEST ALBUM EVER! YOU'RE JUST A H8R THAT IS JEALOUS THAT YULL NEVER EVA BE ABLE TO DO THAT!"

I couldn't even finish listening to it. I guess I got off the Van Halen bus a long time ago. After Fair Warning, it was hit or miss...mostly miss with me. I did enjoy some of the Hagar stuff and I thought Balance was good, so I am not just a Roth era fan. In fact, the last thing I readlly liked from them was Humans Being. This new song, not so much.

I just listened to it for the first time. I like it. It's got a cool hook and I like the way it grooves. Wolfie sounds really good on bass, so no complaints there. Catchy lyrics, too. No, it doesn't sound like Fair Warning-era VH, but there's still a whole album's worth of material that we haven't heard yet.

Not understanding the hate and I do realize that musical tastes vary wildly and are subjective.

I'm on board. Can't wait to buy this album and crank the f**k out of it!!!

1022.gif

Just listened to the whole thing and its grown on me. I think its got a good melody. The vocals are a little rough, but the whole package of this first song Im fine with. Let me listen to the others. Im looking forward to seeing them live. Eddie is still awesome, one of the best.

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 11 2012, 12:26 AM)
Don't know if this has been posted...lots of activity for me to read through here today!

Anyway...here's "She's the woman" from the recent live NY gig. Sounds good. Dave reminds me of Jagger these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzNNg9ALr8w

OK...faith restored.

this is the full cut...Everybody Wants... into She's the Woman into Dance the Night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9QBxrzx1Tc cheer.gif

Cool. I can actually hear the bass too.. hope the record and the show are like that.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jan 11 2012, 02:35 PM)
I didn't care much for it. It was sub par to Van Halen's previous work. And I hate the word "Hater". That implies that people hate it for fun and not because they actually dislike it. It is like saying that Van Halen is above failure. They aren't and neither is anybody else. Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands, but I dislike Coda. If I commented on my dislike of Coda, I'm sure I'd get a "STFU! CODA IS THEIR BESTEST ALBUM EVER! YOU'RE JUST A H8R THAT IS JEALOUS THAT YULL NEVER EVA BE ABLE TO DO THAT!"

"Walter's Walk!"

Come on man "Bonzo's Montreux" steals the show!

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Jan 11 2012, 05:47 PM)
I just listened to it for the first time. I like it. It's got a cool hook and I like the way it grooves. Wolfie sounds really good on bass, so no complaints there. Catchy lyrics, too. No, it doesn't sound like Fair Warning-era VH, but there's still a whole album's worth of material that we haven't heard yet.

Not understanding the hate and I do realize that musical tastes vary wildly and are subjective.

I'm on board. Can't wait to buy this album and crank the f**k out of it!!!

1022.gif

Just wait for "She's The Woman" and "Bullethead!"

Not only am I on board, I'm flying this Van Halen plane too! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 11 2012, 07:57 PM)
HOLY SHITSTERS BATMAN!! 11 pages now on this??? wtf.gif

Well, DLR re-joining Van Halen and making a new studio album is AN EVENT!

I gotta say that the general malaise/hate for the song here is bumming me out, especially since I think it's a great song. To me it sounds like a surefire hit, and makes me think this album/tour will be massive... that is until I read the reviews here and it makes me think it will be a colossal failure. I'm betting I'm right, but then again, what chance does a rock album have in this day and age? At least I think it will be wildly successful by whatever standards that can be for a rock album today. unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 11 2012, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 11 2012, 07:57 PM)
HOLY SHITSTERS BATMAN!!  11 pages now on this???  wtf.gif

Well, DLR re-joining Van Halen and making a new studio album is AN EVENT!

I gotta say that the general malaise/hate for the song here is bumming me out, especially since I think it's a great song. To me it sounds like a surefire hit, and makes me think this album/tour will be massive... that is until I read the reviews here and it makes me think it will be a colossal failure. I'm betting I'm right, but then again, what chance does a rock album have in this day and age? At least I think it will be wildly successful by whatever standards that can be for a rock album today. unsure.gif

Well stated Gary! It's great seeing how excited you are about this record.

I love that this thread is 11 pages. I could type about Van Halen forever!!

This album is going to be EPIC!!!!!!!!!

trink39.gif

So thanks to all of this hype about the new Van Halen I bought an Eddie Van Halen guitar pick from the "1984" Tour. I was lucky enough to see that tour when I was 16 years old. It was out of this world.

Anyway I was emailing the buyer and I asked him if he was excited about the new VH record.

He said "absolutely!" He then told me a cool story. He went to high school with Dennis Anthony, Mike's brother. He went over to his mom and dad's house a lot over the years and many of Mike's gold and platinum records are hanging on their walls.

Fukkin' sweet!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 11 2012, 09:20 PM)
So thanks to all of this hype about the new Van Halen I bought an Eddie Van Halen guitar pick from the "1984" Tour. I was lucky enough to see that tour when I was 16 years old. It was out of this world.

Anyway I was emailing the buyer and I asked him if he was excited about the new VH record.

He said "absolutely!" He then told me a cool story. He went to high school with Dennis Anthony, Mike's brother. He went over to his mom and dad's house a lot over the years and many of Mike's gold and platinum records are hanging on their walls.

Fukkin' sweet!

You sure? Mike's surname is Sobolewski.

Anyway......Eddie's tone sounds awesome. The more I listen to the new tune, the more I like it!

I can see Ed going into Cathedral after Tattoo in concert.

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Jan 11 2012, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 11 2012, 09:20 PM)
So thanks to all of this hype about the new Van Halen I bought an Eddie Van Halen guitar pick from the "1984" Tour.  I was lucky enough to see that tour when I was 16 years old.  It was out of this world.

He said "absolutely!"  He then told me a cool story.  He went to high school with Dennis Anthony, Mike's brother.  He went over to his mom and dad's house a lot over the years and many of Mike's gold and platinum records are hanging on their walls.

Fukkin' sweet!

You sure? Mike's surname is Sobolewski.

Anyway......Eddie's tone sounds awesome. The more I listen to the new tune, the more I like it!

I can see Ed going into Cathedral after Tattoo in concert.

Very true, but I don't think this guy would be making that story up.

He sounded sincere to me. Who knows?

Glad you dig the new tune!!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 9 2012, 04:01 PM)
wow (based on the clip you posted, PD)

singularly awful

Hey Ghostworks!

Even a guy like you will eventually fall in love with the new Van Halen record.

I will make a deal with you. Go out on Feb. 7th 2012 and buy the cd.

If you absolutely hate the record I will send you a refund!!!

THIS RECORD WILL KICK YOUR ASS!!