PoW vs CP

Gompers

Which do you prefer?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Power Windows
    • Counterparts

These are in the top half of my favorite Rush releases. While I like the rawness of CP, it has a couple dogs for me, albeit more songs than PoW. PoW only has one dog and even though it is the Synth era, I think it was much more tastefully done over HYF. This is a very close battle.

But...

I have to go with PoW.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the same criteria you've used, I'd say overall PoW wins this one. There's less filler than CP, Neil is absolutely on fire with his lyrics and drumming, and the synths are not as bad as they were on HYF.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Dec 1 2011, 11:20 AM)
Counterparts.

Both are great albums but I prefer to hear Alex actually play guitar on a Rush record as opposed to him taking a backseat to the synths.

Part of the reason I like CP so well is due to the reemergence of Lifeson's guitar power riffs. The producer easily had a hand in bringing this out as well.

Yeah, the overall tone of Alex's guitar is just tremendous on those 1982>post era records during 80's, and I'm talking about studio albums. Little gets me bored when someone sounds the same live or record, live can be heavier, albums lighter. Something like that : )

Wow...14-4 for Power Windows.....

I am an Alex Lifeson fan and am not a fans of keyboards so this was an extremely easy choice for me. I have made no secret that Counterparts is incredibly underrated and is probably Alex's greatest achievement post Moving Picture.

As a matter of fact, I am listening to Double Agent as we speak, and , DAMN, Alex just smokes on that song.

Phenomenal album....gimme more Alex guitar and less keys every day

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 1 2011, 11:19 AM)
Wow...14-4 for Power Windows.....

I am an Alex Lifeson fan and am not a fans of keyboards so this was an extremely easy choice for me. I have made no secret that Counterparts is incredibly underrated and is probably Alex's greatest achievement post Moving Picture.

As a matter of fact, I am listening to Double Agent as we speak, and , DAMN, Alex just smokes on that song.

Phenomenal album....gimme more Alex guitar and less keys every day

goodpost.gif

some of Neil's finer moments on CP too! Drumming I mean!

Counterparts has some fantastic songs and is a great record. That being said, PoW is a phenomenal record that just gets better as it plays. One of the last albums that was great throughout. Not one dud on it.

Ah this one was too easy. I think Power Windows is better in every possible way. Better songs, lyrics, music (This is Geddy's best bass playing), vocals, everything is better in my opinion.

I only like maybe 4 songs on CP. There is some serious garbage on that album, but love everything on PoW.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Dec 1 2011, 04:29 PM)
Counterparts has some fantastic songs and is a great record. That being said, PoW is a phenomenal record that just gets better as it plays. One of the last albums that was great throughout. Not one dud on it.

goodpost.gif

That pretty much sums up my opinion.

This was actually a really tough one for me, but then again, not really. Both records are among my very favourites, and both get regular spins with me. They probably both rank somewhere in my Top 8 overall.

To me, Counterparts is definitely the best album SINCE Power Windows. But PoW to me, like micgtr71 said, is one of the last truly flawless albums start to finish. Not a weak moment on it.

How much do I love Power Windows? I would rank 'The Big Money' as my "least favourite" track on it. That's how great this record is. 1022.gif