Instrumental on Clockwork Angels

losingit2k

Will there be an instrumental on CA?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be an instrumental on CA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (In the middle of a longer piece or Epic)
    • Maybe (In the extended beginning of a longer song)
    • Maybe ( At the end of a longer song)

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 25 2011, 07:25 PM)
I hope they keep it at 2 or less. Three was one too many on S&A, one suffered from mediocrity and the other from downright uselessness.

I thought they were all pretty great. Mind you, none of them were YYZ or Overture or La Villa, but they were better than any other post-MP instrumentals.

I really hope so, I love nothing more than their instrumentals. If there's even a chance we can get another YYZ, La Villa or Mal Nar, I'll take it. Even if it's a kickass instrumental section in the middle of a song, like Freewill, I'd love that as well.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 25 2011, 09:56 PM)
I hope they keep it at 2 or less. Three was one too many on S&A, one suffered from mediocrity and the other from downright uselessness.

I thought they were all pretty great. Mind you, none of them were YYZ or Overture or La Villa, but they were better than any other post-MP instrumentals.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Nov 25 2011, 09:19 PM)
I really hope so, I love nothing more than their instrumentals. If there's even a chance we can get another YYZ, La Villa or Mal Nar, I'll take it. Even if it's a kickass instrumental section in the middle of a song, like Freewill, I'd love that as well.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

I say no but it will feel like there are plenty because this record will be aggressive with plenty of jams in the middle of the songs. There may be an instrumental type piece at the beginning of a song that transitions right into the song or something. Here's hoping the whole record feels like one big instrumental with words over top 2.gif Time to kick a## and take names with this one and I think that is what they are going for. All indications from interviews seem to be that the playing will shine through again on CA like it hasn't in a long time.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 25 2011, 10:23 PM)

yes.gif

I almost forgot there were instrumentals between MP and S&A. I'd have to agree with you there.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 25 2011, 11:29 PM)

yes.gif

I almost forgot there were instrumentals between MP and S&A. I'd have to agree with you there.

LTTA is good, and even better live, but Where's My Thing? and Limbo are terrible.

These three guys are some of the most amazing players around, and I feel like when they just cut loose on an instrumental jam without having to worry about structuring it around lyrics, magic can happen. Sure, they may not all be gems - I usually forget Limbo even exists - but the great ones shine so bright that it doesn't matter.

YYZ, La Villa, and for me Mal Nar also, are hands down the most awesome pieces of music I have ever heard. They are pure representations of the things I love best about music. So to me, there is no greater thing musically that can happen in this world than Rush making an instrumental, just for the mere chance that they will strike gold again.

It happened as recently as S&A with Mal Nar, so they can certainly still do it. And considering both the ferocious playing they displayed on the tour, and that I love the direction CA is going in so far, I think there could be something really amazing on the new album.

Personally I like the idea of having an instrumental piece inside of a long song. I love when you can hear the setting of the music change from the chorus/vocal section into a long instrumental break. You either settle in to something warm and deep, or strap yourself down for something kick ass and filled with adrenaline surge. Coming out of that into Geddy's vocal again all charged up and smoked... nothing better.

With all the complaining about Geddy's voice and all the gushing about Leave that thing alone on the Time machine disc, I would think you guys would be begging for instrumentals!

Geddy is MUCH better when he's not tied to the vocal mic...

What about Leave That Thing Alone?

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 25 2011, 11:42 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 25 2011, 11:29 PM)

yes.gif

LTTA is good, and even better live, but Where's My Thing? and Limbo are terrible.

I knew I forgot one :S

"The Main Monkey Business" is one of their best instrumentals, I think. The title, however. . . laugh.gif

Also, with all the talk from Big Al about the songs being longer, I think there HAS to be at least one instrumental.