Rush: Time Machine editing gripes

Kelly D

Now that I've had a chance to see the entire Time Machine film twice, I noticed a few things that confused me, editing-wise. Forgive me if there are perfectly logical explanations for 'em, but here are some things that had me baffled:

• A lot of the crowd shots, particularly the ones from far away, show many disinterested fans (including a shot of someone tying his/her shoe)!
  • Some of the shots are mirrored- you can tell by the lettering on some of the tour shirts- "HSUR"- that some fans are wearing. I wonder why the editors did that. Surely the opposite (original) image would've sufficed?
  • I know during "YYZ" my section (the first five rows, at least) were going MENTAL, Rush in Rio style, singing along to the instrumental. Apart from one sidelong view, there aren't really any shots of the audience for that song. Curious!

I am absolutely sincere when I say that this DVD is probably the best-edited one of the bunch (the other ones kind of hurt my brain with their quick cuts). I'm pleased as punch we only had to wait five months to see it (six months to see it in its entirety)! However, I just had a few issues with some of the decisions. . . does anyone agree? Disagree? Have an explanation?

Much 2.gif love, y'all cool10.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 6 2011, 09:09 PM)
  • A lot of the crowd shots, particularly the ones from far away, show many disinterested fans (including a shot of someone tying his/her shoe)!

I don't think they were disinterested. When I saw Rush last April in NYC, I was 4 rows from the stage. I wasn't jumping up and down screaming the whole time. For the first half of the concert I was just standing there in awe. It probably looked like I wasn't interested, but I was! I'm guessing that those people were in awe too (except for the guy tying his shoes laugh.gif).

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 6 2011, 09:15 PM)

I don't think they were disinterested. When I saw Rush last April in NYC, I was 4 rows from the stage. I wasn't jumping up and down screaming the whole time. For the first half of the concert I was just standing there in awe. It probably looked like I wasn't interested, but I was! I'm guessing that those people were in awe too (except for the guy tying his shoes laugh.gif).

Ah yes, forgot to mention one of the shots shows a woman on her smart phone dazed025.gif

[*]Some of the shots are mirrored- you can tell by the lettering on some of the tour shirts- "HSUR"- that some fans are wearing. I wonder why the editors did that. Surely the opposite (original) image would've sufficed?

Regarding the backward shots, where these shots showing the front of the fans shirts? Because one of the 2011 tour shirts I bought at the merch had the Rush logo reversed in the back print. (it was the white/light grey one) Since I've never seen the full concert footage yet, nor I could ever recall seeing such an issue on the VH1 airing, I think that could only be the possible explanation.

As for the overall finished product, I agree that it's probably has the best editing. The footage was done by the same guys responsible for Iron Maiden: Flight 666, and that had the best editing out of their DVDs too. As for the other Rush DVDs, the editing wasn't bad as you think. S&A Live was really good IMO. If you ever saw Maiden's Death on the Road, it contained the worst concert DVD editing in history, it made Rush In Rio look like it was Exit...Stage Left.

i agree. some of the crowd shots were annoying. a lot of the people shown we not very interested, it seemed, including people taking to each other and on phones and etc. the shots from way up were pretty annoying. also(not hating here!! lol) but they showed the same people a lot. i understand some people were into it, but it's like, c'mon. lol

also, they showed shots of the boys talking to each other. i'm sorry, but that's distracting, trying to read their lips. lol

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Nov 6 2011, 09:43 PM)
[*]Some of the shots are mirrored- you can tell by the lettering on some of the tour shirts- "HSUR"- that some fans are wearing. I wonder why the editors did that. Surely the opposite (original) image would've sufficed?

Regarding the backward shots, where these shots showing the front of the fans shirts? Because one of the 2011 tour shirts I bought at the merch had the Rush logo reversed in the back print. (it was the white/light grey one) Since I've never seen the full concert footage yet, nor I could ever recall seeing such an issue on the VH1 airing, I think that could only be the possible explanation.

As for the overall finished product, I agree that it's probably has the best editing. The footage was done by the same guys responsible for Iron Maiden: Flight 666, and that had the best editing out of their DVDs too. As for the other Rush DVDs, the editing wasn't bad as you think. S&A Live was really good IMO. If you ever saw Maiden's Death on the Road, it contained the worst concert DVD editing in history, it made Rush In Rio look like it was Exit...Stage Left.

Ohhh, then that would be my mistake- I didn't know the writing on that particular tour shirt was already reversed. Okay, that explains it tongue.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Nov 6 2011, 09:44 PM)
i agree. some of the crowd shots were annoying. a lot of the people shown we not very interested, it seemed, including people taking to each other and on phones and etc. the shots from way up were pretty annoying. also(not hating here!! lol) but they showed the same people a lot. i understand some people were into it, but it's like, c'mon. lol

also, they showed shots of the boys talking to each other. i'm sorry, but that's distracting, trying to read their lips. lol

Welp, as one of those fans who got shown a few times, sorry! laugh.gif oops.gif

I agree with you that the editing is very good. I did not notice the uninterested fans as much as you did. confused13.gif

And I think they showed any women they could because they don't want to give the impression that Rush is totally a guy band. smile.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 6 2011, 07:25 PM)

Ah yes, forgot to mention one of the shots shows a woman on her smart phone dazed025.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/smiley129.gif

I can't understand that at ALL! confused13.gif

From what I saw on VH1 the editing for this DVD is better than most. I have a Genesis DVD (When In Rome) that is, IMO, the perfect example of how NOT to edit a concert. So it's nice to have this special show handled with loving care. smile.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 6 2011, 07:09 PM)
I know during "YYZ" my section (the first five rows, at least) were going MENTAL, Rush in Rio style, singing along to the instrumental. Apart from one sidelong view, there aren't really any shots of the audience for that song.

That's...really weird. I just watched it this morning and I didn't notice. How odd.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Nov 6 2011, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 6 2011, 07:25 PM)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/smiley129.gif

I can't understand that at ALL! confused13.gif

From what I saw on VH1 the editing for this DVD is better than most. I have a Genesis DVD (When In Rome) that is, IMO, the perfect example of how NOT to edit a concert. So it's nice to have this special show handled with loving care. smile.gif

What it lacks in editing it makes up for in sheer ass kicking power 1022.gif

Death on the Road is nothing compared to Rock In Rio! The worst editing of any concert dvd ever! Someone needs to have the balls to tell Steve Harris he's a shitty editor. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Nov 7 2011, 02:25 AM)

Death on the Road is nothing compared to Rock In Rio! The worst editing of any concert dvd ever! Someone needs to have the balls to tell Steve Harris he's a shitty editor. 062802puke_prv.gif

yes.gif Horrible . Not more than 2 or 3 sec on one shot. Seizure worthy , that's for sure laugh.gif

QUOTE (jmdyyz @ Nov 7 2011, 11:21 AM)
this was more annoying on the big screen - Bogus RUSH fans- some are picking there nose!

Same when i see people at the Super Bowl with seats behind the bench texting or talking on the phone. Why are you there ? Because someone Gave you Free tickets. 1287.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 7 2011, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (jmdyyz @ Nov 7 2011, 11:21 AM)
this was more annoying on the big screen -  Bogus RUSH fans- some are picking there nose!

Same when i see people at the Super Bowl with seats behind the bench texting or talking on the phone. Why are you there ? Because someone Gave you Free tickets. 1287.gif

Ehh, I don't hold that against people, personally - unless I see them doing it the whole time. If I'm at the Super Bowl and my Dad calls, I'm going to pick up. If my wife texts me, I'm (probably tongue.gif) going to write back. But it wouldn't take long and I'd be focused on my surroundings for the rest of the time.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Nov 6 2011, 09:54 PM)
haha like i said, i'm not hating, it was just weird after a while.

also seems like they went out of their way to film any woman they could laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure the camera operators were given the directive to capture as many women as possible in order to show that Rush audiences aren't 99% guys. I think they succeeded. yes.gif

I only saw this DVD once during the movie theater release, but my gripe is there was A LOT of out of focus shots. At least that's what I remembered. I'm getting the DVD in the mail today and will review again (and again, and again, and again...). However, that was my only gripe. I'd say this is the best live concert they've released in their modern era. smile.gif

When we posted concert review, I stated that in my row & section (upper tier section 100) there were a block of "subdued" older fans in there late 50's who clapped and sang but didn't get out of there seats and go crazy......

That was my job!!! tongue.gif icon_alienjig.gif

My wife got into it briefly with some woman sitting in front of us who thought i was to loud,she let her know I'm a hardcore fan and told her to turnaround. Then her boyfriend told her the same thing and said I'm enjoying the concert.

I have not seen TM yet, picking it up at Best Buy Tuesday Can't wait!!!

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 7 2011, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Nov 7 2011, 02:25 AM)

yes.gif Horrible . Not more than 2 or 3 sec on one shot. Seizure worthy , that's for sure laugh.gif

Yeah ..I've never been able to get all the way through that Maiden video.

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 6 2011, 09:25 PM)
Ah yes, forgot to mention one of the shots shows a woman on her smart phone  dazed025.gif

I'm willing to bet this was the case for 90% of what seemed like "disinterested" but were actually "distracted" fans. Unfortunately, we're living in the smartphone age, where if you're not Tweeting or Facebooking the entire experience, people are going to question whether you were there (unless, like you, one ends up being filmed)! I actually had someone ask me if I was going to Tweet the show of another band I like...uh, no. Just taking some pics takes enough of my attention. I used to do write-ups/photo galleries for series of their shows I would travel to, but I waited until after the show. When the expectation turned to DURING the show, that was something else entirely.

Edited by 1 of the 7