Rush: Time Machine editing gripes

Kelly D

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 12 2011, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (grand phil-nale @ Nov 12 2011, 12:39 AM)
Taking Alex's vocals out of the mix and continuously showing shots of him singing is bad editing.

yeah, I've always hated that. Alex pretending to sing over a backing track....lame.

That is lame when he fakes it (Stick It Out, Far Cry), but there are songs where he actually sings live. Numerous shots on TM with him singing away and all you hear is Geddy singing live.

Edited by grand phil-nale

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 12 2011, 11:21 PM)
kelly D, you been to alot of rush shows. you must be rich.... ha ha
Cool you got on the dvd..

RICH?! rofl3.gif laugh.gif z7shysterical.gif joker.gif

*wipes away tear*

Man, thanks for that laugh. I needed it!

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 13 2011, 07:03 AM)

*wipes away tear*

reani is TRF's court jester, except we can't fire him tongue.gif

Kelly, can you elaborate on that part in the dvd when it looked like you and Alex had a "moment". I forget what song that was right now, but your hand was on your chin and you had a great big acknowledging smile.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 6 2011, 07:09 PM)
Now that I've had a chance to see the entire Time Machine film twice, I noticed a few things that confused me, editing-wise. Forgive me if there are perfectly logical explanations for 'em, but here are some things that had me baffled:
  • A lot of the crowd shots, particularly the ones from far away, show many disinterested fans (including a shot of someone tying his/her shoe)!
  • Some of the shots are mirrored- you can tell by the lettering on some of the tour shirts- "HSUR"- that some fans are wearing. I wonder why the editors did that. Surely the opposite (original) image would've sufficed?
  • I know during "YYZ" my section (the first five rows, at least) were going MENTAL, Rush in Rio style, singing along to the instrumental. Apart from one sidelong view, there aren't really any shots of the audience for that song. Curious!
I am absolutely sincere when I say that this DVD is probably the best-edited one of the bunch (the other ones kind of hurt my brain with their quick cuts). I'm pleased as punch we only had to wait five months to see it (six months to see it in its entirety)! However, I just had a few issues with some of the decisions. . . does anyone agree? Disagree? Have an explanation?

Much 2.gif love, y'all cool10.gif

This is the funniest posting I've seen yet. laugh.gif

Speaking of the 'tying the shoe' bit:

Geddy says "One, two, buckle my shoe" in "In The End" on 'All The World's A Stage'.

QUOTE (grand phil-nale @ Nov 13 2011, 03:58 AM)
Taking Alex's vocals out of the mix and continuously showing shots of him singing is bad editing.

yeah, I've always hated that. Alex pretending to sing over a backing track....lame.

That is lame when he fakes it (Stick It Out, Far Cry), but there are songs where he actually sings live. Numerous shots on TM with him singing away and all you hear is Geddy singing live.

I can assure you, he isn't faking, his voice, during the live performance, is passing through the PA system. It may not be in your face loud, but it is there.

Best example I can think of for "Far Cry" :

I also think that his voice is included in the Live Releases as well, but heavily processed, and not very high in the mix. His voice must be applied in some manner, otherwise he wouldn't even have a microphone on his side of the stage - it just makes the FOH and Monitor Engineers jobs so much harder each time you add another vocalist.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 13 2011, 08:42 AM)

*wipes away tear*

Kelly, can you elaborate on that part in the dvd when it looked like you and Alex had a "moment". I forget what song that was right now, but your hand was on your chin and you had a great big acknowledging smile.

Ahhh, I think this should be its own post! I've had to answer it a lot already tongue.gif What happened was that I, being the big fat baby that I am, was overcome with emotion during the entire concert- surrounded by some of the greatest people I've ever met through our mutual love of the greatest band ever in the history of the world (hehe) and way up close, too!

I was able to keep it together until the opening notes of "Closer to the Heart." I lost it shortly thereafter. I started bawling from sheer happiness. . . and naturally, the camera guys pounced on me. Luckily, the shots of me actually crying didn't make the final cut. But Alex noticed me crying (which is what that shot of him is directly before the shot of me) and he made a "ooooh, look at da widdle girl cwying" face at me- and all I could do was smile and acknowledge the fact that, yes, at that moment, I was a big simpering mess blush4.gif

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Nov 13 2011, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (grand phil-nale @ Nov 13 2011, 03:58 AM)

I can assure you, he isn't faking, his voice, during the live performance, is passing through the PA system. It may not be in your face loud, but it is there.

Best example I can think of for "Far Cry" :

I also think that his voice is included in the Live Releases as well, but heavily processed, and not very high in the mix. His voice must be applied in some manner, otherwise he wouldn't even have a microphone on his side of the stage - it just makes the FOH and Monitor Engineers jobs so much harder each time you add another vocalist.

Scrap that Far Cry link, this one illustrates my point better : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzHeI4oTDQ&t=4m05s

Especially on the first "I can get back on".

Kelly, I did notice your Closer to the Heart moment, you appear several other times as well, possibly the most featured audience member in any Rush DVD.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 14 2011, 04:55 PM)
wow, you been to all these rush shows in a short period of time. and your not rich? yeah right.. thats thousands of dollar right there.

Who are you to judge? Do you know her (or anyone else here) well enough to make that assessment? No, you don't. You asked, she answered, done.

wow, you been to all these rush shows in a short period of time. and your not rich? yeah right.. thats thousands of dollar right there.

I really fail to see why this point is either here or there (in this thread or at all). . . but okay. Go on believing that rofl3.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 14 2011, 04:58 PM)

Who are you to judge? Do you know her (or anyone else here) well enough to make that assessment? No, you don't. You asked, she answered, done.

Thank you! common001.gif

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Nov 14 2011, 04:53 PM)

Kelly, I did notice your Closer to the Heart moment, you appear several other times as well, possibly the most featured audience member in any Rush DVD.

I never thought of it like that wub.gif bncegrn.gif hug2.gif How amazing!

Edited by Kelly D

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 14 2011, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 13 2011, 08:42 AM)

*wipes away tear*

Ahhh, I think this should be its own post! I've had to answer it a lot already tongue.gif What happened was that I, being the big fat baby that I am, was overcome with emotion during the entire concert- surrounded by some of the greatest people I've ever met through our mutual love of the greatest band ever in the history of the world (hehe) and way up close, too!

I was able to keep it together until the opening notes of "Closer to the Heart." I lost it shortly thereafter. I started bawling from sheer happiness. . . and naturally, the camera guys pounced on me. Luckily, the shots of me actually crying didn't make the final cut. But Alex noticed me crying (which is what that shot of him is directly before the shot of me) and he made a "ooooh, look at da widdle girl cwying" face at me- and all I could do was smile and acknowledge the fact that, yes, at that moment, I was a big simpering mess blush4.gif

Sweeeet!!! Nice. Looked like a wonderful emotional moment. cool.gif I figured you had been asked before, but I hadn't seen it. Shanks trink39.gif AlexFinal.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 14 2011, 09:04 PM)
Sweeeet!!! Nice. Looked like a wonderful emotional moment. cool.gif I figured you had been asked before, but I hadn't seen it. Shanks trink39.gif AlexFinal.gif 1022.gif

No no no, I meant I had been asked via text or in person- not on TRF. Sorry if I seemed exasperated; twasn't my intent. I'm so pleased they included it! It means the world to me biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 14 2011, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 14 2011, 09:04 PM)
Sweeeet!!! Nice. Looked like a wonderful emotional moment.  cool.gif  I figured you had been asked before, but I hadn't seen it. Shanks  trink39.gif  AlexFinal.gif  1022.gif

No no no, I meant I had been asked via text or in person- not on TRF. Sorry if I seemed exasperated; twasn't my intent. I'm so pleased they included it! It means the world to me biggrin.gif

Oh not at all exasperated. I thought for sure it'd come up here or on RIAB. I hadn't seen if it did, and when I was watching it again Sat night with the wife I see you on my screen having a moment with Alex and I'm like, she's having a beautiful moment there- what went on smile.gif Had to ask about it. You're in the annals of 2.gif history now yes.gif trink38.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 14 2011, 09:32 PM)
Oh not at all exasperated. I thought for sure it'd come up here or on RIAB. I hadn't seen if it did, and when I was watching it again Sat night with the wife I see you on my screen having a moment with Alex and I'm like, she's having a beautiful moment there- what went on smile.gif Had to ask about it. You're in the annals of 2.gif history now yes.gif trink38.gif common001.gif

Heck yes!!! I'm so, so happy about that fact!

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Nov 14 2011, 10:38 PM)
Idk if it's been mentioned, but quite a few shots look out of focus. Strange for being a hi def movie...

Ah well, I'd rather have a few out-of-focus shots now than have to wait another year to have the DVD in my hot little hands laugh.gif

One thing I really dislike are the out of focus full stage shots. Because of the quality I didn't notice it on VH1, but on the Blu-Ray it's really annoying. This happens on a majority of songs. Some examples are the first shot of Freewill, pyro shot on Marathon and numerous shots at the end of Vital Signs.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Nov 21 2011, 06:07 PM)
they know in the beginning of freewill neil throws his stick. but the last 2 dvds, they never focus on him doing it... They did in rio..

There are plenty of Neil stick tosses elsewhere in the TM video, for a few different angles.