Rush: Time Machine editing gripes

Kelly D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Nov 7 2011, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 6 2011, 07:09 PM)
I know during "YYZ" my section (the first five rows, at least) were going MENTAL, Rush in Rio style, singing along to the instrumental. Apart from one sidelong view, there aren't really any shots of the audience for that song.

That's...really weird. I just watched it this morning and I didn't notice. How odd.

Yeah, we were absolutely insane. I felt like I was high cool10.gif because it was so surreal. . . but nope, I was completely sober for the entire concert. . . and it was a bit disappointing to find that the editors didn't include the audience losing their s@#$ confused13.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Nov 6 2011, 09:54 PM)
haha like i said, i'm not hating, it was just weird after a while.

also seems like they went out of their way to film any woman they could laugh.gif

There were a lot of us- a lot of my friends, too! A bunch of Rush Ratnesses, immortalized! wink.gif

QUOTE (Drewski @ Nov 7 2011, 01:10 PM)
I only saw this DVD once during the movie theater release, but my gripe is there was A LOT of out of focus shots. At least that's what I remembered. I'm getting the DVD in the mail today and will review again (and again, and again, and again...). However, that was my only gripe. I'd say this is the best live concert they've released in their modern era. smile.gif

I hope that was the fault of the movie theater's and not the DVD's. Can you shed any light on that? I don't have the DVD yet.

QUOTE (jmdyyz @ Nov 7 2011, 11:21 AM)
this was more annoying on the big screen -  Bogus RUSH fans- some are picking there nose!

And what if I did do it? Even though I admit to nothing, and never will. What does that make me? And I'm not here just defending myself but all those pickers out there who've been caught. Each and every one of them, who has to suffer the shame and humiliation because of people like you. Are we not human?! If we pick, do we not bleed?! I am not a bogus fan!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 7 2011, 05:58 PM)

also seems like they went out of their way to film any woman they could laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure the camera operators were given the directive to capture as many women as possible in order to show that Rush audiences aren't 99% guys. I think they succeeded. yes.gif

I thought they showed those females cos they were "hot".. that blonde bird in the silver spangly top especially. drool1.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 9 2011, 02:56 PM)
...why did the editors include that particular shot of the "distracted" fans?! Seems silly if there was another perfectly good view of the band or fans that are actually rawking out 1022.gif

Yeah, good question. Plus you'd have thought people would have been a bit more attentive/involved knowing full well they could end up on film...

20 years ago I was all over the place too, now I think I enjoy it even more just sitting, watching, listening, absorbing, catching a nice buzz on the way. Im not bored in my seat, Im studying greatness

QUOTE (Fred Star @ Nov 9 2011, 07:21 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 7 2011, 05:58 PM)

I'm pretty sure the camera operators were given the directive to capture as many women as possible in order to show that Rush audiences aren't 99% guys. I think they succeeded. yes.gif

I thought they showed those females cos they were "hot".. that blonde bird in the silver spangly top especially. drool1.gif

Need a bucket to catch the drool? Or a Shamwow? rofl3.gif eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Nov 9 2011, 11:16 PM)
20 years ago I was all over the place too, now I think I enjoy it even more just sitting, watching, listening, absorbing, catching a nice buzz on the way. Im not bored in my seat, Im studying greatness

goodpost.gif Thanks for your input! I also don't disparage people who sit at a concert if they have health problems/body pain (like I do). . . I was more talking about the editors' decision to include less than "perfect" shots of the crowd, but ah, as we all know, "perfect's not for real." NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 9 2011, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 9 2011, 02:56 PM)
...why did the editors include that particular shot of the "distracted" fans?! Seems silly if there was another perfectly good view of the band or fans that are actually rawking out  1022.gif

Yeah, good question. Plus you'd have thought people would have been a bit more attentive/involved knowing full well they could end up on film...

Who knows. I'm pretty damn pleased with 98% of the editing, but I guess some things fell through the cracks. I'll take my 15 minutes of fame, though, gladly! 653.gif

Crowd editing aside I thought performance editing was spot on. Lots of fretboard closeups when somebody was tearing it up and cuts to Neil when there was a signature fill and such. There is a moment during the solo in Working Man where all three are just tearing it up and it's great. Geddy gives Alex a look like "man did that solo kick ass". The old Rush we know and love. And lets don't forget Geddy's "bass solo" at the end of LTTA. Mind boggling goodness.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Nov 10 2011, 01:35 PM)
I kinda LOL'd when they showed the nose-bleed audience shot right at the beginning of Freewill: They all immediately stood up like "HEYYY, I know this song!!!"

HAHAHAHA I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that!!! rofl3.gif

Going back to the fan footage for a second - I forgot to say I was surprised they didn't include footage of the "Thank You Donna Halper" banner or Donna herself (although, she's modest enough to have possibly communicated to the filmmakers that she didn't want to be included). Ditto for Todd Walterspaugh's RRHOF protest banner. Maybe they felt including it would have contibuted too much to the bad blood with the Rock Hall.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 6 2011, 09:09 PM)
Now that I've had a chance to see the entire Time Machine film twice, I noticed a few things that confused me, editing-wise. Forgive me if there are perfectly logical explanations for 'em, but here are some things that had me baffled:
  • A lot of the crowd shots, particularly the ones from far away, show many disinterested fans (including a shot of someone tying his/her shoe)!
  • Some of the shots are mirrored- you can tell by the lettering on some of the tour shirts- "HSUR"- that some fans are wearing. I wonder why the editors did that. Surely the opposite (original) image would've sufficed?
  • I know during "YYZ" my section (the first five rows, at least) were going MENTAL, Rush in Rio style, singing along to the instrumental. Apart from one sidelong view, there aren't really any shots of the audience for that song. Curious!
I am absolutely sincere when I say that this DVD is probably the best-edited one of the bunch (the other ones kind of hurt my brain with their quick cuts). I'm pleased as punch we only had to wait five months to see it (six months to see it in its entirety)! However, I just had a few issues with some of the decisions. . . does anyone agree? Disagree? Have an explanation?

Much 2.gif love, y'all cool10.gif

rofl3.gif I caught the person tying their shoe too!!!

QUOTE (grand phil-nale @ Nov 12 2011, 12:39 AM)
Taking Alex's vocals out of the mix and continuously showing shots of him singing is bad editing.

yeah, I've always hated that. Alex pretending to sing over a backing track....lame.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 12 2011, 02:25 PM)
Going back to the fan footage for a second - I forgot to say I was surprised they didn't include footage of the "Thank You Donna Halper" banner or Donna herself (although, she's modest enough to have possibly communicated to the filmmakers that she didn't want to be included). Ditto for Todd Walterspaugh's RRHOF protest banner. Maybe they felt including it would have contibuted too much to the bad blood with the Rock Hall.

Yeah, Donna told me she was flown out there to do some voiceover work for the movie. . . wonder what happened with that. Todd has said that you can see his "THANK YOU DONNA HALPER" sign in some shots but I haven't watched the movie yet in detail to see for myself.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 12 2011, 08:20 PM)
Taking Alex's vocals out of the mix and continuously showing shots of him singing is bad editing.

yeah, I've always hated that. Alex pretending to sing over a backing track....lame.

I think it's cute. Can he really not sing that well?! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Nov 12 2011, 09:34 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 12 2011, 08:20 PM)

I think it's cute. Can he really not sing that well?! laugh.gif

bekloppt.gif Hey Kelly!

He's not so good. (Not that I can throw stones at someone trying to sing) Every once in awhile you can here him. Best example I can think of is the youtube videos from that SARStock (or whatever they called it) show they did in Toronto years back. Just adds to his charm if you ask me.

I did think at the beginning of this tour that I did hear him in a youtube here and there and he seems to sound better, maybe he's had some lesson.