last movie you watched

sonicjams

The War of the Worlds - the original and best. Still gives me the creeps.

I love the effects and the pacing of the action scenes of the 2005 version.

But the angle of the story was awful and the ending was atrocious.

Original is the best. The newer version needed a better screenplay.

The ending was atrocious? I'm not sure I'd go that far. It was totally unexpected, that's for sure.

• Like 1

The ending was atrocious? I'm not sure I'd go that far. It was totally unexpected, that's for sure.

It was the pacing...it went from a major action set piece to...they reach their destination what seems like two hours later in the morning light...the aliens are dying and everyone's alive and well.

It's not so much the ending it's the fact it feels like the film has a scratch and it skipped an entire section of the screenplay.

But I am such a massive fan of the novel I'm not happy with either adaptation.

Best for me is still the musical album.

It was the pacing...it went from a major action set piece to...they reach their destination what seems like two hours later in the morning light...the aliens are dying and everyone's alive and well.

It's not so much the ending it's the fact it feels like the film has a scratch and it skipped an entire section of the screenplay.

I guess there was so much stress about the aliens taking over, the world was about to end as we know it and we had exhausted all of our weapons..etc. and then the littlest of things kills them off. Something we take for granted most of the time saved our lives. I think you have to take it in that context. Just the unexpectedness of it.

• Like 1

I guess there was so much stress about the aliens taking over, the world was about to end as we know it and we had exhausted all of our weapons..etc. and then the littlest of things kills them off. Something we take for granted most of the time saved our lives. I think you have to take it in that context. Just the unexpectedness of it.

I agree...but for me it wasn't handled well. It was the right way to end the film, it just felt extremely poor in execution.

My biggest gripe is simy the fact that we had to follow those characters over anyone else. I found them insufferable.

And a straightforward adaptation of the novel would be something truly spectacular.

Edited by Segue Myles

I agree...but for me it wasn't handled well. It was the right way to end the film, it just felt extremely poor in execution.

My biggest gripe is simy the fact that we had to follow those characters over anyone else. I found them insufferable.

And a straightforward adaptation of the novel would be something truly spectacular.

I suppose. Might be a bit boring though with the kind of stilted dated vocabulary that the protagonist uses if it were done exactly like the book. It's harder to adapt first person books to the screen, IMO.

Jaws. Took two attempts: last night, fell asleep halfway through. This evening, watched the rest.

Never mind "You're going to need a bigger boat", more like "You're going to need extra catnip grade coffee..."

:P

It's on Rifftrax which might make it easier.

If that makes you fall asleep, wait until you see that godawful one with Sir Michael Caine. Nostalgia Critic was dead on. For a movie called The Revenge it's a pretty lame revenge. :LOL:

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Pacific Rim.
  • Like 1

Jaws. Took two attempts: last night, fell asleep halfway through. This evening, watched the rest.

Never mind "You're going to need a bigger boat", more like "You're going to need extra catnip grade coffee..."

If that makes you fall asleep, wait until you see that godawful one with Sir Michael Caine. Nostalgia Critic was dead on. For a movie called The Revenge it's a pretty lame revenge. :LOL:

Worst Jaws ever! What in God's name possessed them to write a script wherein the shark somehow knows Eileen Brody is flying down to the Bahamas and swims down from Martha's Vineyard to meet her there???? Did they really expect us to believe that such a thing was possible???
  • Like 1

Worst Jaws ever! What in God's name possessed them to write a script wherein the shark somehow knows Eileen Brody is flying down to the Bahamas and swims down from Martha's Vineyard to meet her there???? Did they really expect us to believe that such a thing was possible???

I missed that one. I stopped after Jaws Quaid 3-D which was only watchable because I was 10 at the time and it was 3-D

• Like 1

I missed that one. I stopped after Jaws Quaid 3-D which was only watchable because I was 10 at the time and it was 3-D

I watched it on HBO at around 2 am 20 some odd years ago because I couldn't sleep and there was nothing else on.

Pacific Rim.

Watched this just the other week..highly enjoyable

Yep! The movie is just balls-out fun!

• Like 1

Pacific Rim.

It's funny how people see things differently. I thought it was one of the worst action movies I've ever seen. A couple hours of my life I'll never get back.

Pacific Rim.

It's funny how people see things differently. I thought it was one of the worst action movies I've ever seen. A couple hours of my life I'll never get back.

I was bored the entire time and still find it hard to believe it isn't a Michael Bay movie.

Seriously...I think people want to like it so they claim they do all because it's from Guillermo del Toro.

No different to the recent rubbish Transformers movies are that dull and lifeless Godzilla.

• Like 1

Pacific Rim.

I was bored the entire time and still find it hard to believe it isn't a Michael Bay movie.

Seriously...I think people want to like it so they claim they do all because it's from Guillermo del Toro.

No different to the recent rubbish Transformers movies are that dull and lifeless Godzilla.

It'd be a boring-ass world if we all liked the same stuff. I'm sure you dearly love some movies that I think are utter crap.

Pacific Rim.

It'd be a boring-ass world if we all liked the same stuff. I'm sure you dearly love some movies that I think are utter crap.

You don't have to take offense. If the world is that big you should be able to accept a differing opinion.

• Like 1

The Incredible Hulk.

Not great but it's still much better than Ang Lee's attempt.

The Good: It did a lot of good things such as skipping over an origin story, having Hulk the right size and power level, and giving him a worthy adversary. William Hurt was the best suited actor for their role...though nobody did a bad job. Also, the homage bits to the tv show were smartly done without seeming too forced. Oh, and the favella chase scene was pretty cool.

The Bad: I like Tim Roth and Tim Blake Nelson but they just didn't seem like they belonged in their roles. Edward Norton seems a little off in the casting too even though I think he's great in most other roles. What else? Some of that CGI looked too video-gamey at times. And what was up with Abomination's design? He looked more like DC's Swamp Thing than what he should've.

Most important: As the second film in the MCU (the first being Iron Man), it was the first to connect the Marvel characters. They've come a long way in these 8 years.

Marvel needs to get full control over the Hulk instead of just being on loan from Universal Studios. There's no reason why big green can't have a properly made Marvel movie.

Grade: C+

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Cats are lazy and sleep a lot. ;)

:LMAO:

I had Jaws on dvd - late night. 'Nuff said. :P