last movie you watched

sonicjams

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/honest-movie-poster-prometheus.jpg

I had heard all the bad comments about this flick but I just couldn't resist. But man, that WAS bad. Worse than Alien 4 bad. It actually started out fine and had all the nice and pretty special effects. It even had a core group of actors that I really like: Fassbender, Pearce, Theron, and Elba. Sadly, all were wasted on this movie that went nowhere. Usually, I'd give a movie like this some points for the effects, being interesting for at least part of it, and having a good cast. But not this time. Damn you Ridley Scott!

Grade: F

Oh, I just read that there'll be a sequel titled "Alien: Paradise Lost" with Scott at the helm again and a couple of the actors from Prometheus reprising that roles. I'm scared.

The Dead Zone. Really dated but interesting to see a young Christopher Walken.

How do you mean dated? If it was made in 1983 then it's going to look like 1983.

Hehe. Would "hasn't held up over the years" be better?

I don't see it though. if it's a good story and the acting is good, Cronenberg did a good job. What's the problem? Just because it hasn't got an annoying roving camera and a million edits during the action scenes so you can't see anything doesn't mean it's dated.

What's wrong with saying it's dated? It is. :LOL:

Well so is every other film that's 10 years old or more, what's your point?

Some films age really well, and manage to survive the passing of time due to a certain X Factor!

Some films just don't last beyond two or three years, and after fifty, they just don't add up to much.

Are you insane? :LOL:

Films that old or even older are classics. Not like the junk these days.

So every film released in the 1950's is a classic? Every film released in the 21st century is junk?

I didn't say every film,

I will take any of the older films and actors over today's stuff hands down. JMO. :D

I don't entirely agree, Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, (on form) Johnny Depp and Jack Black are treasures.

But I don't know if all of them measure up to the old greats, aside from Streep.

She sucks,

Compared to the women that I enjoy in movies. :codger:

I don't agree with this at all. Only actress who rivals her is Bette Davis.

Thats funny! :LOL:

I would love to know what actresses you like the most.

I am talking strictly talent, not sex appeal (Liz Hurley and Raquel Welch don't qualify as great actresses).

First of all,

I shouldn't have said she sucks. She is better than most these days. I liked her in the movie with Clint Eastwood. Foget what it was called. Here is a list of some if not all that I will take any day of the week over the actresses of today. I just prefer older actors and actresses.

http://www.moviemaidens.com/

• Like 1

How do you mean dated? If it was made in 1983 then it's going to look like 1983.

I don't see it though. if it's a good story and the acting is good, Cronenberg did a good job. What's the problem? Just because it hasn't got an annoying roving camera and a million edits during the action scenes so you can't see anything doesn't mean it's dated.

Some films age really well, and manage to survive the passing of time due to a certain X Factor!

Some films just don't last beyond two or three years, and after fifty, they just don't add up to much.

So every film released in the 1950's is a classic? Every film released in the 21st century is junk?

I didn't say every film,

I will take any of the older films and actors over today's stuff hands down. JMO. :D

I don't entirely agree, Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, (on form) Johnny Depp and Jack Black are treasures.

But I don't know if all of them measure up to the old greats, aside from Streep.

She sucks,

I am talking strictly talent, not sex appeal (Liz Hurley and Raquel Welch don't qualify as great actresses).

First of all,

I shouldn't have said she sucks. She is better than most these days. I liked her in the movie with Clint Eastwood. Foget what it was called. Here is a list of some if not all that I will take any day of the week over the actresses of today. I just prefer older actors and actresses.

Before I look at that link, I will say this: I neither prefer older or newer actors/actresses. If someone has talent, and they do something that moves or inspires me, I am a fan.

Meryl Streep and Katherine Hepburn are timeless greats. Meryl feels of an older time, and countless times I will watch a Hepburn performance and find myself thinking what a wonderful, and still relevant actress, she was. The Philadelphia Story has a performance I swear feels like something worthy of a modern movie, and Meryl always comes across as an actress who could have been an enticing, and worthy, rival to Bette Davis (another favourite of mine).

Other modern actresses, such as Kate Winslet or Cate Blanchette, have performed roles superior to nearly everyone in the old school, and Angelina Jolie, in Changeling, gave a performance of a lifetime.

No bias for any era when it comes to the arts.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I didn't say every film,

She sucks,

First of all,

Before I look at that link, I will say this: I neither prefer older or newer actors/actresses. If someone has talent, and they do something that moves or inspires me, I am a fan.

Meryl Streep and Katherine Hepburn are timeless greats. Meryl feels of an older time, and countless times I will watch a Hepburn performance and find myself thinking what a wonderful, and still relevant actress, she was. The Philadelphia Story has a performance I swear feels like something worthy of a modern movie, and Meryl always comes across as an actress who could have been an enticing, and worthy, rival to Bette Davis (another favourite of mine).

Other modern actresses, such as Kate Winslet or Cate Blanchette, have performed roles superior to nearly everyone in the old school, and Angelina Jolie, in Changeling, gave a performance of a lifetime.

Fair enough,

But today's Hollywood will never match the Hollywood from back in the day. Pus, I just prefer the movies from back then.

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

I didn't say every film,

She sucks,

First of all,

Fair enough,

But today's Hollywood will never match the Hollywood from back in the day. Pus, I just prefer the movies from back then.

Individual, and minority, examples aside, I agree. I enjoy a lot of movies of the last thirty years, and many are great, but old school movies have a certain magic, and love of invention, that has so equal today.

One example: Gone With The Wind. An epic on both a large and small scale, it combines drama with high cost production values, and none of the Hollywood epics of the last twenty years come close.

Films like Lord Of The Rings were nominated for many awards, but how many of them were for acting? Exactly.

Films like All About Eve, Brief Encounter, The Philadelphia Story and Ben Hur are just beyond words brilliant. Plus, the stars of that time have a mythical quality that none share today (but this has more to do with the fact that nothing is private anymore, stars today are too accessible, thus too human to carry the weight of mystery that makes stars like Greta Garbo, Clark Gable or Grace Kelly so iconic).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

http://caffeine-headache.net/blog3/this_is_england.jpg

Never heard of this before but it was a good find. Set in the early 80s a little after the Falklands War, the story follows a group of young skinheads...the youngest of which is a 12 year old boy who's constantly picked on. Best part: Stephen Graham as a sociopathic skinhead constantly making you feel something chaotic is about to happen.

Grade: B+

http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/3347/p3347_p_v7_aa.jpg

I hadn't seen this in years. I used to own the VHS tape, which tells you something. :LOL: Still love this movie though. It's so atmospheric. You can almost feel the heat coming off of them both. Literally.

• Like 2

I hadn't seen this in years. I used to own the VHS tape, which tells you something. :LOL: Still love this movie though. It's so atmospheric. You can almost feel the heat coming off of them both. Literally.

I loved Kathleen Turner in this, especially at the very end. You are right, the whole atmosphere is hypnotic.

• Like 1

I loved Kathleen Turner in this, especially at the very end. You are right, the whole atmosphere is hypnotic.

Its no wonder she became a star after this movie. Reminds me a lot of Basic Instinct, but done better.

• Like 3

http://www.persinsala.it/userimages/blood.jpg

Entertaining while occasionally being gritty & horrific, it's good overall but should've taken more chances and been more provocative given the theme. On the acting front, Hounsou reliably delivers as usual and DiCaprio (who I think is 50/50) does decent here. Worth a rental but not a buy.

Grade: B

• Like 1

Its no wonder she became a star after this movie. Reminds me a lot of Basic Instinct, but done better.

Body Heat is smarter and more seductive despite how much I'd like to rip Sharon Stone's clothes off in Basic Instinct.

• Like 2