Van Halen vs. Satriani

danielmclark

Who is the better overall player?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better overall player?

• Eddie Van Halen
    • Joe Satriani

I know the thread will take on a life of its own but what I'm going for here is overall skill, longevity, breadth of output and influence.

Eddie Van Halen

1978-2004 with Van Halen, plus a few guest appearances here and there.

11 studio albums over 16 years, not counting greatest hits or live packages.

Joe Satriani

1986-2010 as a solo artist, plus many guest appearances.

2009-2011 with Chickenfoot, 2 albums

15 studio albums over 15 years, not counting greatest hits/live stuff.

Please, for the love of god, leave Sammy and Dave out of this.

Please?

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 22 2011, 09:47 AM)
Eddie circa 1981 over satch. But Eddie stopped being interesting by the late 80s. I would say satch has been more consistent.

I'm a big fan of Satch and VH, VH since 1978 and Satch since about 1998. Eddie from pre-debut up to about 1982 was so phenominal but then he just got lazy and uninspired after that. Satch has slowly gained momentum and made some great albums, even as recently as "Super Colossal". I think he too has run his course the last few years but he put out great albums much more consistently over the 25 years than Eddie did.

Right now, I'd rather pay money to see Satch but if I has a time machine, I'd rather see Eddie play circa 1979 -1981.

Easily Eddie for me. I saw Satch once, in the early 90's. Bored the hell out of me.

Eddie's got a better sense of songwriter to go with his chops...has the bluesy/pop sensibility underlying most of his work.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 22 2011, 09:37 AM)
I know the thread will take on a life of its own but what I'm going for here is overall skill, longevity, breadth of output and influence.

Skill: EVH is probably one of the 5 greatest rock guitarists.

Longevity: EVH has been at it professionally since 1978.

Breadth of Output: Beat It and The Seduction of Gina.

Influence: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

This is not close.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Oct 23 2011, 08:23 PM)

This is not close.

Eddie has been at it since '78, but Van Halen hasn't released a new album in 13 years. He was quite prolific from '78 to about '95. Satriani , skill wise, is more advanced than eddie. I think this is more about what style you prefer, and in that case, i like Eddie better. But Satriani is a monster technician. Eddie layed the ground work for guys like Satriani and Vai, but they surpassed him in many areas. It's the same argument when talking about Peart, and guys like Portnoy and Mangini, who were obviously influenced by him, but have taken his influence and gone even further.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 23 2011, 07:17 PM)

This is not close.

Eddie has been at it since '78, but Van Halen hasn't released a new album in 13 years. He was quite prolific from '78 to about '95. Satriani , skill wise, is more advanced than eddie. I think this is more about what style you prefer, and in that case, i like Eddie better. But Satriani is a monster technician. Eddie layed the ground work for guys like Satriani and Vai, but they surpassed him in many areas. It's the same argument when talking about Peart, and guys like Portnoy and Mangini, who were obviously influenced by him, but have taken his influence and gone even further.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 23 2011, 10:30 PM)

This is not close.

goodpost.gif

I totally understand taking the influence further on a technical level. I believe it's the truth. But, as far as being an artist or a composer or an original, I don't know if that's the case. I never heard a guitarist like Eddie Van Halen before Eddie Van Halen. I never heard a drummer like Neil Peart before Neil Peart. Is that the case with Satriani and Vai? Or Portnoy or Mangini? To me they are like the enjoyable, bigger is better sequel, but I always look to the original for that spark of inspiration or wonderment. That's not to say the newer musicians don't do that for some, but I love Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly because of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Does this make any sense? I'm ramblin' on again!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 23 2011, 09:44 PM)

This is not close.

goodpost.gif

I totally understand taking the influence further on a technical level. I believe it's the truth. But, as far as being an artist or a composer or an original, I don't know if that's the case. I never heard a guitarist like Eddie Van Halen before Eddie Van Halen. I never heard a drummer like Neil Peart before Neil Peart. Is that the case with Satriani and Vai? Or Portnoy or Mangini? To me they are like the enjoyable, bigger is better sequel, but I always look to the original for that spark of inspiration or wonderment. That's not to say the newer musicians don't do that for some, but I love Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly because of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Does this make any sense? I'm ramblin' on again!

It makes perfect sense. And as far as being a true original, Eddie takes it. He changed the whole concept of rock guitar playing. But i think peoples love of Eddie from their youth cloud the fact that what he was doing 30 years ago isn't all that challenging to many players anymore, ON A SKILL LEVEL. As far as songwriting, tone, soul, and just overall cool, kick ass hard rock guitar playing, Eddie wins. But yeah, a lot of guys can outshred him now.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 23 2011, 07:44 PM)

This is not close.

goodpost.gif

goodpost.gif

Your rambles are good! Keep them going!!

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Oct 23 2011, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 23 2011, 09:44 PM)

This is not close.

goodpost.gif

It makes perfect sense. And as far as being a true original, Eddie takes it. He changed the whole concept of rock guitar playing. But i think peoples love of Eddie from their youth cloud the fact that what he was doing 30 years ago isn't all that challenging to many players anymore, ON A SKILL LEVEL. As far as songwriting, tone, soul, and just overall cool, kick ass hard rock guitar playing, Eddie wins. But yeah, a lot of guys can outshred him now.

yes.gif

From 1978 to 1984 Eddie was untouchable in my book

Joe is a very gifted player but his music bores the hell out of me

QUOTE (tontonfranck @ Oct 24 2011, 03:00 PM)
Joe is a great guitar player but Eddie is a true rock legend!
So go EVH go!

They are BOTH 'rock legends'.

Whether people like one better than the other, no-one can deny that both Eddie and Joe are two of the greatest guitar players in history.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 24 2011, 08:01 AM)
From 1978 to 1984 Eddie was untouchable in my book
Joe is a very gifted player but his music bores the hell out of me

Ditto. I find myself saying, "Man, this guy is an amazing talent! Will this song be over soon?"