"Middletown Dreams" V. "Emotion Detector"

RUSHHEAD666

Which Rush Song Do You Love The Most?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rush Song Do You Love The Most?

• "Middletown Dreams"
    • "Emotion Detector"

I never should have put COS on the stereo last week.

I am in a serious Rush obsession now.

I could type on here about Rush forever right now.

"Power Windows" truly is EPIC!

I just listened to "Middletown Dreams" and "Emotion Detector."

Two of the most underrated Rush songs ever!!

Geddy's bass licks and Alex's guitar riffs and solos just blow my mind on these two terrific tracks! (nice alliteration eh? LOL)

It's all in the mind I guess.

If you tune out the keyboards and focus on the bass, guitar and drums, it's just incredible.

These songs never get old either.

I love them both equally at this point. Hence another poll.

Which song is better?

I like Emotion Detector better. The melody, the words, the riffs - really great stuff. The solo is gorgeous, too! wub.gif

I really don't care for "Middletown Dreams" at all; I think it's the weakest track on Power Windows.

"Emotion Detector," meanwhile, really spoke to me at one point in my life; I gave my therapist the lyrics and played it for him.

"Sometimes our big splashes are just ripples in the pool. Right to the heart of the matter; right to the beautiful part. Illusions are painfully shattered, right where discovery starts. In the secret wells of emotion, buried deep in our hearts, feelings run high!"

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 13 2011, 08:35 AM)
"Right to the heart of the matter; right to the beautiful part. Illusions are painfully shattered, right where discovery starts. In the secret wells of emotion, buried deep in our hearts, feelings run high!"

That chorus new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

That's exactly why it's a better song. I always thought Middletown gets a bit over praised at times. It's a very good song but Emotion Detector is just on a whole other level.

I love both of those songs for different reasons. If I had to choose, I;d say Emotion Detector would be have a slight edge due to the overall feel of the song being more up tempo.

However from a musician / technical viewpoint, I've always been blown away by how the guys could keep such tight time with the very quick synth pattern at the beginning of Middletown Dreams. I guess that's one of the many things I really love most Rush - the first 20 seconds of that song displays better musicianship than whole albums worth of material by most other bands.

cheers,

ew

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 13 2011, 07:55 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 13 2011, 08:35 AM)
"Right to the heart of the matter; right to the beautiful part.  Illusions are painfully shattered, right where discovery starts.  In the secret wells of emotion, buried deep in our hearts, feelings run high!"

That chorus new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

That's exactly why it's a better song. I always thought Middletown gets a bit over praised at times. It's a very good song but Emotion Detector is just on a whole other level.

I think ED is more poetic than MD. To me, MD feels very grounded and real. It tells a story about people. ED is awesome in a different way. It's more abstract and about ideas and emotions (well, duh tongue.gif).

Both killer songs for different lyrical reasons, IMO.

Middletown Dreams is my favorite on the whole album. I like Emotion Detector also.

Middletown Dreams revisits the subject matter on Subdivisions except this time it's not the suburban crowd being addressed but the rural one.

Also, it made for a great segue for "Mission". This is like part 1 where Mission is part 2. The first is about the dream as a motivator, the second is about taking the action.

Middletown Dreams. It is one of the few 80s songs that I really want to hear live. I really dig the lyrics for that song.

These two are my favorite of the album. Actually there is not a bad note on side 2...Side 1 is phenomenal as well. I would love to hear this in its entirety.

Love both these tunes and they're so different but I have to give ED the edge because of the awesome Alex solo but also because of the way Neil utilizes the electric kit...this song, along with Mystic Rythyms, expresses how an electric kit should be played.

Oh yeah, Ged's pretty good too.

Edited by theredtamasrule

Emotion Detector is my second favorite Rush song, right behind Marathon. Love the Alphaville-y keyboards and Geddy's voice. Lyrically, it PERFECTLY describes a social situation I got into a few years ago, and has helped me make sense of what happened and move on (to Rush, chief among other things) as a much better-adjusted person. cool.gif

That's not to say Middletown Dreams is far behind. I feel like I'm living that song, too, and still get misty at the end on occasion, knowing that someone gets what a person like me is going through/feeling.

Power Windows is fabulous. FABULOUS cosmo.gif

I have to go with Middletown Dreams. It really speaks to me because I lived in a rural town for much of my life, and in order to pursue my dreams of having a successful career, I had to go away to college. Besides that, I find that Geddy's vocals are simply amazing. This song is probably in the top 5 of best vocal performance from him. It's very powerful and definitely shows the guy can really sing. Geddy's bassline also really has an impact on me.

I will say though that Emotion Detector is simply beautiful. Alex's solo so creative and really represents the song. I really enjoy playing the song on keyboards, which isn't that complex, but it really serves the song for a great purpose. Needless to say, I think Power Windows is now my favorite album, especially from the synth era, so all the songs on there are great.

Oh, and just for quick facts, Middletown Dreams is my second song on my Rush playlist, and has remained there since I added it to my library since March. (Probably the second longest place right behind The Enemy Within at number 1 added last November.) biggrin.gif