Which epic song is better: 2112 or Hemispheres?

HereAgain

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 26 2011, 02:50 AM)
I like "2112" better (primarily for the story) but "Hemispheres" is the better song. It's overall more impressive and obviously from a more mature band, even in the space of just those couple years. "2112" has the edge for me overall but I can't say it's better than its later counterpart.

yes.gif I feel that way with a lot of songs. Hemispheres is their 'best' song (and album) but it is not necessarily my 'favorite'.

For example, I much prefer Closer to the Heart, but Xanadu is easily the 'better' song.

Come on guys... it inspired an entire novel from me (which I need to work on; gah). I'm going to be biased. xD

I. Want. To. Read. That. yes.gif

2112 has a slightly stronger cast of characters and more intense emotion, but Hemispheres is a more musically polished piece and lyrically superior, and Cygnus's reawakening is beautifully sung. Hemispheres is more "quotable", if that makes sense.

Too hard to pick. Even harder to pick if the choice was 2112 vs. both books of Cygnus.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 26 2011, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 26 2011, 09:06 PM)
I'll tell ya this much, I think both songs are among Geddy Lee's best recorded vocal performances.

Hemispheres is so good, Geddy can't even sing it anymore!

lol tongue.gif

There's a reason for that, seriously. Apparently, they recorded the music first and when they got around to recording the vocals they realized the music was in a higher key than Geddy's normal vocal range. Obviously, he can no longer sing like he did in his early days, so I guess it's somewhat moot.

Edited by ReRushed

Eh. "Hemispheres" is good, but it always seems like a missed opportunity to me, even incomplete. The "heart versus mind" moral is trite and unmemorable next to Peart's then-usual Objectivist bent, and the didactic execution undermines the song's own message. If the music complemented the lyrics at all, I'd be inclined to forgive that, if only because the lyrics would have provided the song with an interesting, entertaining conceit. Using the same arrangement for both the Apollo and Dionysus sections really works against the contrast that the lyrics so desperately strive to create, though, and the song really suffers for it. If Peart had put a more interesting and distinctive spin on the message, and if the tone of the music reflected the tone of the lyrics themselves, I'd probably be in love with the song, but I just can't bring myself to like it all that much when neither is actually the case.

"2112", on the other hand, is a blast. I don't care that it sounds thin or that it has a goofy plot; I can't think of another song of comparable length that's so fun for me to listen to. It doesn't feel like twenty minutes at all, which is far more than I can say for "Hemispheres".

Edited by StellarJetman

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 26 2011, 01:40 AM)
Hemispheres. Absolutely. 2112 was written and performed by a band that was trying to get a foothold on what they wanted to do and it did the job. But Hemispheres realized the potential.

very well said.

And I agree.

Although I will say that Grand Finale of 2112 may be the greatest 2 minutes in Rush's history!

2112 pretty easily for me. I think it's a much better story. Overture and Grand Finale in particular I find to be stronger than Prelude and The Sphere. Sure Hemispheres is great and probably has the edge in terms of complexity and musicianship which I guess a lot of people prefer (personally I would rate Fountain of Lamneth above it). It just feels that they were more personally and emotionally invested in the ideals and philososphy behind 2112 and it really comes across in the music. It has a passion, anger and intensity that Hemispheres can't quite match. It's up there among the best and most memorable music they've ever done along with Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 26 2011, 04:44 PM)

Come on guys... it inspired an entire novel from me (which I need to work on; gah). I'm going to be biased. xD

I. Want. To. Read. That. yes.gif

Ah, no, I don't think you want to. Right now it's roughly 75,000 words of.. well, crap. By the end of last November I just wanted it to be over with and I was typing out words without thinking. xD

In case you're curious, though, this is the cover for the story, and...

...this is the protagonist of the novel. Well, one of them. She has a co-protagonist whose picture isn't on the interwebs.

The project's nearly a year old, but since I'm not officially doing NaNoWriMo this year (I don't really plan to) I might take November to edit and perhaps complete.

ANYWAYS.

I like the edge that "2112" has, too. There's just so much passion and power, and that's not something I get from (at least Bk. II) of "Hemispheres". Yes, that is my inner scifi nerd speaking, but I can't shut her up!

Edited by CMWriter

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 27 2011, 12:20 AM)
Overture and Grand Finale in particular I find to be stronger than Prelude and The Sphere.

Exactly, so I give the reluctant nod to 2112. Though, as others have said, Hemisphere's is a much more polished and coherent piece of work (and also as an album). I hold the Hemispheres album slightly in favor over the 2112 album though. They are #2 & #3 in my rankings, respectively.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 25 2011, 09:15 PM)
Hemispheres by a country mile. Hands down, easy-peasy. 2112 has its moments, but Discovery is possibly in the Top 5 Worst Things They've Ever Done list, and given that it's right up front after Temples, it throws me right out of the song and I skip the rest.

That said, Grand Finale is one of my all time favorite pieces of music they've ever recorded. "WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL" - indeed.

Woah easy there friend, Discovery in the top 5 worst? That's a little harsh, yea it's not one of their best, but definitely not one of their worst.

QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Sep 27 2011, 10:54 PM)
Hemispheres by a country mile. Hands down, easy-peasy. 2112 has its moments, but Discovery is possibly in the Top 5 Worst Things They've Ever Done list, and given that it's right up front after Temples, it throws me right out of the song and I skip the rest.

That said, Grand Finale is one of my all time favorite pieces of music they've ever recorded. "WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL" - indeed.

Woah easy there friend, Discovery in the top 5 worst? That's a little harsh, yea it's not one of their best, but definitely not one of their worst.

unsure.gif I love Discovery. Great song. IMO it just gets overshadowed by the rest of the song.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 27 2011, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Sep 27 2011, 10:54 PM)

unsure.gif I love Discovery. Great song. IMO it just gets overshadowed by the rest of the song.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

huh.gif

QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Sep 27 2011, 09:54 PM)

not so fast, pardner

I've found 2112 in it's entirety to be pretty weak in general... for over 25 years

I think you'll find dmc's right on the money if you give 'Discovery' an objective listen

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 28 2011, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Sep 27 2011, 09:54 PM)

not so fast, pardner

I've found 2112 in it's entirety to be pretty weak in general... for over 25 years

I think you'll find dmc's right on the money if you give 'Discovery' an objective listen

Now hold on just one gul darn minute. What in Sam Hill are you talkin' about?

I agree, actually. I have a sentimental enjoyment of 2112; and mostly for the parts they usually play (Overture, Priests), and the triumphant ending, but overall Hemispheres I believe is a better and more "Proggy" song.

Discovery.. a little weak... a little simple... now probably something Neil would describe as a "Kindergarten drawing" - both lyrically and musically....

2112 is better.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 27 2011, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 28 2011, 12:09 AM)

not so fast, pardner

Now hold on just one gul darn minute. What in Sam Hill are you talkin' about?

I agree, actually. I have a sentimental enjoyment of 2112; and mostly for the parts they usually play (Overture, Priests), and the triumphant ending, but overall Hemispheres I believe is a better and more "Proggy" song.

Discovery.. a little weak... a little simple... now probably something Neil would describe as a "Kindergarten drawing" - both lyrically and musically....

Now, hold it right...

...Yeah, I was gonna make a Stargate comment or pun or something, but I couldn't think of anything.

Anyways, back to RUSH.

I think it's really interesting you two say that about "Discovery". I thought "2112" was, at least lyrically, one of the goofiest things I'd ever heard. My reaction the first couple times was something like, "lol what is this?" Then, though, I actually looked into the story, and everything seemed so deliberate and right. Here's what I mean...

In "Discovery", the protagonist has discovered something new and, to him, wondrous. I liken it to a small child making a discovery of that kind of magnitude to the individual. The protagonist is trying to describe this very foreign object, if only to himself, in the best way he can, yes?

He's a very different character from, say, Cygnus of "Hemispheres" (and "Cygnus X-1"). That guy is obviously pretty darn genius (he was able to make his way all the way to a black hole and then have the guts to go check it out up-close) so he's going to have a different kind of narrative. The same for Apollo and Dionysus, respectively.

Now, granted, this is all just speculation. I don't know for a fact how much of what Neil wrote was deliberate and how much he just kind of scrawled down and said, "Here! Lyrics! Be happy. Now let's write a killer song." There's a definite evolution between the two songs; between the two albums; but is it necessarily better or worse?

I personally believe that "Discovery" fits in with "2112" very well. I love the section and at times it has nearly moved me to tears.. if only knowing the fact that the protagonist will be dead by the end. (I get very attached! Don't judge!) It's the discovery and ultimate rejection of a gift that was supposed to bring joy and the freedom of personal expression to humanity. No, not quite in chime with the inspiring novel, Anthem, but to me it still fits pretty well.

So... there's my two.. three... maybe four or five cents. tongue.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 28 2011, 01:19 AM)
I think it's really interesting you two say that about "Discovery". I thought "2112" was, at least lyrically, one of the goofiest things I'd ever heard. My reaction the first couple times was something like, "lol what is this?" Then, though, I actually looked into the story, and everything seemed so deliberate and right. Here's what I mean...

In "Discovery", the protagonist has discovered something new and, to him, wondrous. I liken it to a small child making a discovery of that kind of magnitude to the individual. The protagonist is trying to describe this very foreign object, if only to himself, in the best way he can, yes?

He's a very different character from, say, Cygnus of "Hemispheres" (and "Cygnus X-1"). That guy is obviously pretty darn genius (he was able to make his way all the way to a black hole and then have the guts to go check it out up-close) so he's going to have a different kind of narrative. The same for Apollo and Dionysus, respectively.

Now, granted, this is all just speculation. I don't know for a fact how much of what Neil wrote was deliberate and how much he just kind of scrawled down and said, "Here! Lyrics! Be happy. Now let's write a killer song." There's a definite evolution between the two songs; between the two albums; but is it necessarily better or worse?

I personally believe that "Discovery" fits in with "2112" very well. I love the section and at times it has nearly moved me to tears.. if only knowing the fact that the protagonist will be dead by the end. (I get very attached! Don't judge!) It's the discovery and ultimate rejection of a gift that was supposed to bring joy and the freedom of personal expression to humanity. No, not quite in chime with the inspiring novel, Anthem, but to me it still fits pretty well.

So... there's my two.. three... maybe four or five cents. tongue.gif

Well stated! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You better believe it was deliberate. I think the point is that some people are looking at a piece as emotional and idealistic as 2112 is in an over analytical and intellectual way. Or as Pete Townshend once wrote: "Typewriter tappers, you're all just crappers. You listen to love with your intellect." I wonder if the ones criticizing the lyrics to 'Discovery' felt that way when they first heard it or if that was a view that developed over time after entering adulthood and becoming more jaded and cynical.

Don't do this to me, lol.

Hemispheres is basically my favorite thing ever, of all time, but 2112's..."ferocity", I guess you could say, hits harder in some ways. I'm really not sure. Hemispheres is more advanced, but 2112 is so raw and powerful in places that if the two albums were giant monsters fighting, the Earth's crust would be peeled back and it would take life billions of years to return.

Edited by Astromancer