Clockwork Angels

FeelingUnlimited

Even though I hate the lyrics to BU2B, I think its an awesome song. Lyrics to me are secondary to the music. If the music is good, then I don't really give the lyrics much thought. I do kind of wish that Neil would move away from the religious subjects since it does offend many people, but at the end of the day the music is what matters the most. JMO.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 20 2011, 08:35 PM)
Even though I hate the lyrics to BU2B, I think its an awesome song. Lyrics to me are secondary to the music. If the music is good, then I don't really give the lyrics much thought. I do kind of wish that Neil would move away from the religious subjects since it does offend many people, but at the end of the day the music is what matters the most. JMO.

I don't like the music or the lyrics personally, but that's just me. and to me lyrics absolutely matter. If a great musical song is about brutally raping someone, or killing children you would probably feel different. I know that is extreme, but we all have things we would not want filtering though our ears if we find it vile or disturbing or whatever.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 20 2011, 08:40 PM)

I don't like the music or the lyrics personally, but that's just me. and to me lyrics absolutely matter. If a great musical song is about brutally raping someone, or killing children you would probably feel different. I know that is extreme, but we all have things we would not want filtering though our ears if we find it vile or disturbing or whatever.

Good point. I should have said that most of the time I don't mind the lyrics, but there's always the extreme exceptions like you pointed out.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 19 2011, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Sep 19 2011, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Sep 18 2011, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 16 2011, 05:46 PM)
Omit Caravan and BU2B? Are you crazy? Those are two of the best songs I've heard from them in a long time.

goodpost.gif

Oh yes, since Snakes and Arrows came out!

To me Far Cry is the only song off SnA that can rival these two.

Both songs are much better than Far Cry, let alone the rest of the tedium that makes up S&A (Mal Nar, excluded), IMO...

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 20 2011, 08:47 PM)

Good point. I should have said that most of the time I don't mind the lyrics, but there's always the extreme exceptions like you pointed out.

Tick, I understand your point if lyrics are gratuitous or sadistic, something which the lyrics of "BU2B" are not. The song is about an idea, one that has been around and debated about for millennia. Do you really find the lyrics of "BU2B" to be vile and disturbing? If so, that's different than lyrics being poorly written.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 20 2011, 08:57 PM)

Tick, I understand your point if lyrics are gratuitous or sadistic, something which the lyrics of "BU2B" are not. The song is about an idea, one that has been around and debated about for millennia. Do you really find the lyrics of "BU2B" to be vile and disturbing? If so, that's different than lyrics being poorly written.

I find Neil Peart's writing these days paints him as a bitter, cynical old man. Its old, its tired and its time to move on to something else. That is if he has anything else to say about...anything?

Seriously. His redundant bashing of religion is getting pathetic. Does he really have nothing else relevant to say anymore?

and yeah, his views are a joke to me. Vile or disgusting? Maybe not, but tired and worn out.

Talk about anything else please!

His lyrics on BU2B are something anything 15 year old kid could have written in creative writing class. Something that if they handed it in as homework, they would get a C.

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 21 2011, 06:38 AM)

I find Neil Peart's writing these days paints him as a bitter, cynical old man. Its old, its tired and its time to move on to something else. That is if he has anything else to say about...anything?

Seriously. His redundant bashing of religion is getting pathetic. Does he really have nothing else relevant to say anymore?

and yeah, his views are a joke to me. Vile or disgusting? Maybe not, but tired and worn out.

His lyrics on BU2B are something anything 15 year old kid could have written in creative writing class. Something that if they handed it in as homework, they would get a C.

If you are going to make a statement like that on your last point, you could at the very least back it up...

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 21 2011, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 21 2011, 06:38 AM)

If you are going to make a statement like that on your last point, you could at the very least back it up...

lyrical excerpt from my song, free

Inside the realm of time and space

I know somewhere there is a place

far from the bitter cold

far from the world we know

sometimes only the blind can see

someone stop to rescue me

finding the light of day

I found a better way

chorus

ever you ever thought you've lost a gift

could you feel the pain inside

oh then you realize

its only you, that brings it back to life.

link to the song and others...

http://www.myspace.com/primeelementrocks

atickhum.gif

Just so I understand the process, they are writing a few songs, recording....then some more songs written and recorded. As opposed to writing the entire album and then recording it?

Let me send Geddy a message on Facebook and ask him...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/24b6zk4_thjpg.gif

It happens when it happens.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 21 2011, 08:53 AM)
Just so I understand the process, they are writing a few songs, recording....then some more songs written and recorded. As opposed to writing the entire album and then recording it?

I thought MOST of it was already written? Maybe they only need one or two more tracks and they are going to do some spontaneous stuff in the studio like they have done on MANY records. Sometimes the last minute adds even become the single. I think Force Ten was a last minute add on.

New info from Nick R. reported at RIAB about Clockwork Angels:

It is coming along fantastic, we have recorded two songs already and we released them last year and then the band went on tour. But we are currently in preproduction right now so that we can finish the rest of the record which we will start recording again in mid October.

This seems to indicate that these songs will NOT be re-recorded or re-done in any way. Shame... I stand by my the album is already less than perfect comment.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 21 2011, 04:38 PM)

It is coming along fantastic, we have recorded two songs already and we released them last year and then the band went on tour. But we are currently in preproduction right now so that we can finish the rest of the record which we will start recording again in mid October.

This seems to indicate that these songs will NOT be re-recorded or re-done in any way. Shame... I stand by my the album is already less than perfect comment.

Rush and "perfect" albums are long gone my friend.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 21 2011, 07:49 PM)

Yep. Presto was the last one. sad.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 21 2011, 05:20 PM)

Alas, you have to go back farther than that. CP was great, but not perfect. HYF was perfect except for the last two tracks. Power Windows didn't have any weak tracks, but for perfection as in every track is completely awesome, in my book you have to go back all the way to Grace Under Pressure. eh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 21 2011, 07:51 PM)

Alas, you have to go back farther than that. CP was great, but not perfect. HYF was perfect except for the last two tracks. Power Windows didn't have any weak tracks, but for perfection as in every track is completely awesome, in my book you have to go back all the way to Grace Under Pressure. eh.gif

I'd argue that they haven't made a perfect album. Closest they came was Permanent Waves, but they ruined it with Freewill comp26.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 21 2011, 08:51 PM)

I don't like CP too much.......but I definately have to go back to Moving Pictures as their last "perfect" album.