Trying to Like Dream Theater

Nate2112

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 7 2011, 03:54 PM)
Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory is their best album imo. Many people consider Images & Words and Awake to be their best so you may want to check them out too.

I usually listen to Train Of Thought and Octavarium

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Sep 7 2011, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 7 2011, 03:54 PM)
Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory is their best album imo. Many people consider Images & Words and Awake to be their best so you may want to check them out too.

I usually listen to Train Of Thought and Octavarium

Many fans (on this board anyway) don't like either of those. Personally I love Octavarium and Train of Thought is good, but I haven't been listening to it lately.

Well lets see:

When Dream and Day Unite- Likely not the place to start. Some pretty good songs on it however the lack of James LaBrie and the poor production hinder its likability.

Images and Words- A must listen. Incredible in almost every way. Produced there only radio hit to date in "Pull Me Under". No weak points IMO! biggrin.gif

Awake- Also an amazing listen. The tone is considerably darker and heavier. It can generate an awesome mood. Listen to "Voices" from the Mind Beside Itself Suite to get a taste!

A Change Of Seasons EP- One 25 minute epic along with some tasty covers! The title track is a fan favorite and is among the Dream Theater classics. Give it a spin once you have introduced yourself some other material already, so not to be overwhelmed cool.gif

Falling Into Infinity- Often receives mixed reactions from fans because the band was pressured into creating more radio friendly songs. However a few songs were big hits with the fan base. Listen to "Trial of Tears" and "Lines In The Sand".

Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory- Just awesome stuff here. A concept album concluding the story that began 7 years earlier from Metropolis Pt. 1 a song off of Images and Words. My favorite album! Really the re birth of DT after FII.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence- A double album, the first disk being a collection of smaller songs. I love the first disk. I'd recommend listening to "The Glass Prison" and "Blind Faith". Disk two is a 40 minute sidelong epic. It is good, however I find myself listening to disk 1 more. Very good album.

Train Of Thought- A thoroughly metal album, very in your face. But you know enough about it already. Also Fledge hates this album biggrin.gif

Octavarium- You have it covered.

Systematic Chaos- Not a favorite of many. If any. It really veered away from good songwriting into some sort of metalcore phase. Just a mess. I do enjoy "The Ministry Of Lost Souls" however.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings- Very hit and miss album, often described as the album with some of the best musical compositions and worst lyrical compositions tongue.gif 4 of the 6 tracks clock at way over 10 minutes. Listen to "The Count Of Tuscany"!

A Dramatic Turn Of Events- It comes out on the 13th smile.gif

Hope this wasn't useless! laugh.gif 1022.gif

Edited by FallTempest

I would go with Images & Words and Awake first. If those albums don't get you then nothing will.

Here's a few songs to help you out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKhfkfnbAMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvEOsdH8T_8&feature=related

Scenes From A Memory is great but I wouldn't recomened it right away for a Dream Theater newbie.

Dream Theater walks like a duck and quacks like a duck but it ain't a duck

You'd think I would love them but I never will. I've tried and tried, but I've accepted that they are just not there.

It's alll about the emotion and feel for Rush's music, Alex's chords,a and Geddy's melodies.....Dream Theater just doesn't have that

How many members of this board have started topics like this thinking they'll like them because they're so similar to Rush?

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 7 2011, 08:58 PM)
Dream Theater walks like a duck and quacks like a duck but it ain't a duck

You'd think I would love them but I never will. I've tried and tried, but I've accepted that they are just not there.

It's alll about the emotion and feel for Rush's music, Alex's chords,a and Geddy's melodies.....Dream Theater just doesn't have that

How many members of this board have started topics like this thinking they'll like them because they're so similar to Rush?

Its not that THEY aren't there. Their music is the soundtrack to my life and carries a lot of emotion for me. You just don't connect with them. Which is perfectly okay.

Start with 'Images and Words', and the EP 'A Change of Seasons'.

If those don't work for you, cut your losses. If they do work for you, move on to 'Scenes from a Memory' and grab their newest album 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' when it comes out next week.

Edited by KenJennings

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Sep 7 2011, 09:51 PM)
Please help.

Any reques on any albums/songs i should look into

Go to their page at Progarchives you can check out album reviews and listen to some full tracks too.

I'd suggest "Black Clouds", "SDoiT" and "Metropolis Part II" then buy the new one next week.

Edited by Tony R

I love Scenes From A Memory, so I was hoping I'd like their other stuff too.

Alas, a good friend here at TRF sent me a few compilations of their best tracks (according to him) of all their other albums, and outside of a song or two, most all of them were either too metally for my tastes, or I just didn't connect with them.

So for me Scenes is the masterpiece, but I haven't listened to any other of their albums all the way through except for their very first one, and that one was horrible.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 7 2011, 09:43 PM)
Start with 'Images and Words', and the EP 'A Change of Seasons'.

If those don't work for you, cut your losses. If they do work for you, move on to 'Scenes from a Memory' and grab their newest album 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' when it comes out next week.

I agree with this.

Try but do not try too hard. To me the more musically complex the longer it takes to set in. Give it a spin and put it down for a awhile.

Definitely not everyones cup of tea but probably the most /popular/important/influential prog band in recent history ( if some reading want to puke after reading that, please think it through before doing so) and if you don't like DT then try liquid tension experiment or any of the other side projects the members have done.

Or you could just say screw it and check out some Between The Buried and Me instead.

BTBAM is like I&W era DT on musical steroids... 1022.gif

QUOTE (FallTempest @ Sep 7 2011, 08:13 PM)
Well lets see:

When Dream and Day Unite- Likely not the place to start. Some pretty good songs on it however the lack of James LaBrie and the poor production hinder its likability.

Images and Words- A must listen. Incredible in almost every way. Produced there only radio hit to date in "Pull Me Under". No weak points IMO! biggrin.gif

Awake- Also an amazing listen. The tone is considerably darker and heavier. It can generate an awesome mood. Listen to "Voices" from the Mind Beside Itself Suite to get a taste!

A Change Of Seasons EP- One 25 minute epic along with some tasty covers! The title track is a fan favorite and is among the Dream Theater classics. Give it a spin once you have introduced yourself some other material already, so not to be overwhelmed cool.gif

Falling Into Infinity- Often receives mixed reactions from fans because the band was pressured into creating more radio friendly songs. However a few songs were big hits with the fan base. Listen to "Trial of Tears" and "Lines In The Sand".

Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory- Just awesome stuff here. A concept album concluding the story that began 7 years earlier from Metropolis Pt. 1 a song off of Images and Words. My favorite album! Really the re birth of DT after FII.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence- A double album, the first disk being a collection of smaller songs. I love the first disk. I'd recommend listening to "The Glass Prison" and "Blind Faith". Disk two is a 40 minute sidelong epic. It is good, however I find myself listening to disk 1 more. Very good album.

Train Of Thought- A thoroughly metal album, very in your face. But you know enough about it already. Also Fledge hates this album biggrin.gif

Octavarium- You have it covered.

Systematic Chaos- Not a favorite of many. If any. It really veered away from good songwriting into some sort of metalcore phase. Just a mess. I do enjoy "The Ministry Of Lost Souls" however.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings- Very hit and miss album, often described as the album with some of the best musical compositions and worst lyrical compositions tongue.gif 4 of the 6 tracks clock at way over 10 minutes. Listen to "The Count Of Tuscany"!

A Dramatic Turn Of Events- It comes out on the 13th smile.gif

Hope this wasn't useless! laugh.gif 1022.gif

I pretty much concur with this assessment!

My "personal" tastes end up with Falling into Infinity..after that I think Train of Thought is the only one that doesn't seem like it's "forced" to be heavy metal prog with CHOPS!

I never was a big Metropolis 2 fan...and as much as I like Jordan Rudess outside of this band, I HATE most of his output WITH DT!

Maybe this "change" will get the band back to "brass tacks" but I'm not holding my breath!

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 7 2011, 01:54 PM)

this^^^^^^

but,

I just don't dig his singing style. I wish I did.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Sep 7 2011, 03:51 PM)
Please help.

Any reques on any albums/songs i should look into

When Dream And Day Unite - Status Seeker

Images & Words - Pull Me Under, Under A Glass Moon

^ there's the three songs you need in your collection

that's it!

Well lets see:

When Dream and Day Unite- Likely not the place to start. Some pretty good songs on it however the lack of James LaBrie and the poor production hinder its likability....

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 7 2011, 04:54 PM)
Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory is their best album imo.

Only if you like a contrived sounding Rock Opera. IMO, of course.

Get Awake, then I&W, then Octavarium.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Sep 8 2011, 12:31 PM)
Well lets see:

When Dream and Day Unite- Likely not the place to start. Some pretty good songs on it however the lack of James LaBrie and the poor production hinder its likability....

rofl3.gif

To each his own tongue.gif