• Burning Japan Live - Glenn Hughes
    • Live at Budokan - Dream Theater
    • Live at Budokan - Bob Dylan
    • Live at Budokan - Ozzy Osbourne
    • Tokyo Tapes - Scorpions
    • The Tokyo Tapes - Steve Hackett
    • Made in Japan - Deep Purple
    • Cheap Trick at Budokan- Cheap Trick

Cheap Trick's Budokan is pure brilliance. It's an album that - like Frampton Comes Alive - elevates that band to momentary greatness. I don't think any of the other Japanese live sets achieve that for the other bands.

BTW, why no love for Maiden Japan? 1022.gif

I voted Scorps-corps..they SMOKED on that one. yes.gif 1022.gif banghead.gif

You forgot the clear winner---Judas Priest, Unleashed in the East

I've recently rediscovered how great this album is. I'm not a huge Priest fan, and I'm not a huge fan of live albums, but all of my favorite renditions of Priest songs, even some that are not that great on studio albums, are great here.

The Ripper, Exciter, the Sinner, Diamonds and Rust, The Green Manilishi, Running Wild, Victim of Changes, Tyrant...gotta give it up for Priest and their crowning achievement (at least in my book). I like this better than British Steel and Screaming for Vengenance.

The ONLY mark against this album is that Halford claims (and he ought to know) that some of the vocals were dubbed in later due to some recording issues.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 5 2011, 12:45 AM)
Cheap Trick's Budokan is pure brilliance.  It's an album that - like Frampton Comes Alive - elevates that band to momentary greatness.  I don't think any of the other Japanese live sets achieve that for the other bands.

Bingo. Like with Frampton, when you think of Cheap Trick, you think of this great live album. The complete concert version is a must.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Aug 5 2011, 03:40 AM)

I've recently rediscovered how great this album is. I'm not a huge Priest fan, and I'm not a huge fan of live albums, but all of my favorite renditions of Priest songs, even some that are not that great on studio albums, are great here.

The Ripper, Exciter, the Sinner, Diamonds and Rust, The Green Manilishi, Running Wild, Victim of Changes, Tyrant...gotta give it up for Priest and their crowning achievement (at least in my book). I like this better than British Steel and Screaming for Vengenance.

The ONLY mark against this album is that Halford claims (and he ought to know) that some of the vocals were dubbed in later due to some recording issues.

Yeah of course, that's great...

Whether it was doctored in the studio or not, they managed to improve on earlier versions of lots of songs...

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 5 2011, 01:48 PM)

I've recently rediscovered how great this album is.  I'm not a huge Priest fan, and I'm not a huge fan of live albums, but all of my favorite renditions of Priest songs, even some that are not that great on studio albums, are great here.

The Ripper, Exciter, the Sinner, Diamonds and Rust, The Green Manilishi, Running Wild, Victim of Changes, Tyrant...gotta give it up for Priest and their crowning achievement (at least in my book).    I like this better than British Steel and Screaming for Vengenance.

Yeah of course, that's great...

Whether it was doctored in the studio or not, they managed to improve on earlier versions of lots of songs...

1022.gif

I put all the albums that immediately came to mind, and meant to put an "other" option as well... but posted the thread before I could...

My f**k up....

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Aug 5 2011, 01:40 AM)

God I forgot about this album. Love it.

yes.gif 1022.gif

"Unleashed In The East" by Priest takes the cake for me, but I have to give a slice of the pie to Dokken's "Beast From The East" recorded in 1988.

Dokken was never really a great live band but I love them nonetheless.

Dokken just played at the Solano County Fair tonight at 8 pm and I didn't go.

Don's voice has the "Kiss Of Death" even after successful throat surgery.

Signed,

"Paris Is Burning"