That thing you do

Lost In Xanadu

Is there anything that you are "known for" with your friends... other than being the "Rush guy/girl"

We seem to always be quoting movies, but my "thing" is putting everything in a Simpsons context. I notice I do this a lot, and am almost always greeted with laughter. Nobody has told me to stop with the Simpsons references yet. I found I can twist most anything into a Simpsons reference (but I try to not overdo it) in one way or another if I try hard enough.... sometimes they're just easy.

Like this weekend we were talking about the space program and someone asked if the makers of Tang were gonna take a hit, and I brought up this... from Deep Space Homer:

Homer: Hello, is this NASA?

Scientist: Yes?

Homer: Good! Listen: I'm sick of your boring space launches. Now

I'm just an ordinary, blue-collar slob, but I know what I

likes on TV.

Scientist: How did you get this number?

Homer: Shut up! And another thing: how come I can't get no Tang

'round here?

Later.....

Homer: Hello, is this President Clinton? Good! I figured if anyone

knew where to get some Tang, it'd be you. ...Shut up!

That second call to "President Clinton" always makes me laugh for the double meaning of "'tang" laugh.gif

The Guitar Hero (5 buttons of absolute shredding)

Only among my inner most circle of friends do they know me for the Trekkie that I am biggrin.gif

Survival guy/history geek/movie nut/Rush fan/gun collector & shooter.

I thought this thread was about the Movie - "That Thing You Do". Great flick! cool.gif

^ Me too!

Definitely my love of Rush, the Fixx, Queen, and 80's music (one of those ladies from the 80's)! My cats and being an animal lover. Hiking, being a nature buff, flowers, insects and taking pics of same. Constantly feeding my face. Not opening up easily (the "quiet" one), but when I do, not keeping my mouth shut/no filter. A distaste for the holidays and all-year-long snarkiness (with sweetness underneath if you have the patience and tenacity to deal with me) that led to my Grinch labeling/obsession.

I'm known for being a Rush freak, but moreso, I'm known for being that guy who "just isn't like everyone else." I march to my own drummer, and I like it that way. smile.gif

Single hetero (and liking it), well-educated, workaholic wink.gif , middle-aged, independent, doesn't drink hardly at all (anymore), assertive, doesn't like to be a "follower", won't be part of any good ol' boy clubs at work, won't cooperate with injustice or corruption just to "get along", and tries to be the most honorable man he can be. Prefers quality of friends over quantity. Is content to stay home for days and days until a good quality outing with friends, family, or certain females arises. Scoffs at the suggestion that's he's "lonely".... laugh.gif

People know me as a smart-ish long haired proggy-hippie dude, a semi-talented musician and a "trys-to-be-always-funny-all-the-time" comedian. I love making my friends laugh and be happy and although I am a jobless college student/struggling musician, I am generally very content with my life. biggrin.gif

I'm that person who will do anything, go anywhere and eat/drink whatever is put in front of me. Whenever a friend hears of something wacky, they tell me because they know I'll be interested. So, I guess I'm that person who is fine with taking chances.

Also known for running, photography, taking the kids to events, food and wine.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 26 2011, 01:19 PM)
I'm that person who will do anything, go anywhere and eat/drink whatever is put in front of me.

Have you ever eaten balut [Filipino dish, unborn chicken]? Even the bravest of eaters won't touch that...and those that do usually regret it. I won't touch that shit. It's the worst smelling food ever (and it's got nothing to do with me hating eggs). Nothing comes even close.

Among my inner circle of friends, I'm known as "The Puppet Master" due to (what they claim) to be my ability to talk people [including strangers] into doing or admitting various things. If only I had a tenth of the mind-control powers that they say I do, I'd be able to rule the universe by Monday. ((What I really think my friends are saying is that I'm a manipulative, demonic monster)). tongue.gif trink38.gif

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Trivia. If someone is trying to think of an obscure name or title or such, they ask me. I specialize in entertainment but I'm lethal at every Trivial Pursuit category (except sports... not a big sports person).

Also the Disneyland fan, stuffed animal collector, herbologist.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jul 25 2011, 09:01 PM)
I thought this thread was about the Movie - "That Thing You Do". Great flick! cool.gif

When I first saw the thread title, the song was put instantly into my head. That's a good thing. Great song, great movie. It's one of those movies you can watch over and over and never get tired of it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

-----

I'm known around TRF as a guy who likes to climb things. Give me rum, and I start climbing. laugh.gif trink38.gif