Out of Print = Fair Game?

The Owl

I don't download albums illegally, I do , and I believe am in the minority in those who still buy CDs (and occasionally pay for a download)

But I do have an exception.....

If a CD is out of print, and there is no legal means of downloading it... I will download it "illegally"... as well as audio rips for DVD concerts (I already Own) for my iPod, that have no CD version.

Nothing recently, but I remember when the Porcupine Tree CD's "Lightbulb Sun" and "Recordings" were out of print... (and like over 100 bucks used on Amazon) I downloaded those illegally... and have since bought the reissues on CD.

But there are a few instances... I don't feel it wrong to download something like UK's "Danger Money" off a torrent site.. Yes I will buy it if it is reissued, but other than buying an expensive reissue, illegal downloading is the only resource I have to that music....

So my question to you is, if a CD is out of print, and there is no resource to legally download an album, is it okay to "illegally" download an album?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I download to check out bands so I don't waste money on something I don't like, also will download old stuff that I bought years ago on vinyl or cassette. except my favorites like Rush etc. , some of those I've bought many times. wacko.gif

I also download a crap load of bootlegs.

I own Rush in Rio (DVD), I had to download it in order to put it on my MP3 player. When I get the Time Machine DVD, I will do the same if I can't get the video easily on my computer.

I'm NOT okay with downloading music without paying for it, but if it's impossible to get an original without downloading, I'll do it (for things such as Rush's Garden Road and Not Fade Away). However, if they do release them on CD, I'll buy them anyway.

I believe in supporting the artist. I buy my CDs first hand to make sure they do see some cash, no matter how little they're actually making off of one album. One drop becomes an ocean if enough are added.

I download a ton of music. Most of it is out of curiosity (aka bands I wouldn't buy cds from otherwise) and occasionally I'll stumble onto a winner and discover a band I really love. Then I'll buy their music.

I really only buy music from bands who have 'won me over' so to speak.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jul 13 2011, 09:04 PM)
I download a ton of music. Most of it is out of curiosity (aka bands I wouldn't buy cds from otherwise) and occasionally I'll stumble onto a winner and discover a band I really love. Then I'll buy their music.

I really only buy music from bands who have 'won me over' so to speak.

same here, except i won't buy music from an RIAA-label band, no matter how much I love the band themselves. I buy tons and tons of used CDs when I have money, however.

and legal downloading is completely pointless. If i'm dishing out money for my music it better be in f*ckin lossless, and you can find just about anything that can be downloaded on Amazon marketplace or somewhere similar for less than $10, incl. shipping.

I will download music of CDs that I've bought but are scratched beyond being playable. According to the laws (in the US) that the RIAA helped railroad through, this is also illegal. Sad, isn't it?

I've done it and will continue to do it. Perfect examples, I downloaded Porcupine Tree's (then) out of print Futile EP. Once it was available on their site to download, I purchased it. I also have the PT Lazarus EP...which is still out of print.

I illegally download music and am not afraid to admit it. However, I only illegally download what I plan on buying in the future. If I were to just download and not buy, I feel that I would be cheating the artist and record company. However, in this case, if I had no other means of legally buying an OOP record, I would download it illegally.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jul 14 2011, 10:39 AM)
I illegally download music and am not afraid to admit it. However, I only illegally download what I plan on buying in the future. If I were to just download and not buy, I feel that I would be cheating the artist and record company.

I don't download anything and don't care too much who does.

However, your post doesn't make much sense to me. Why don't you just skip downloading and buy it since you say you're going get it anyways?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 13 2011, 11:36 PM)
I illegally download music and am not afraid to admit it. However, I only illegally download what I plan on buying in the future. If I were to just download and not buy, I feel that I would be cheating the artist and record company.

However, your post doesn't make much sense to me. Why don't you just skip downloading and buy it since you say you're going get it anyways?

If I become interested in an artist, I download a few albums and listen to them. If I want to buy the albums, then I'll go out and buy them. However, if I don't like what I've heard, I simply delete whatever I downloaded. It's like test driving a car before you buy it.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jul 14 2011, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 13 2011, 11:36 PM)

If I become interested in an artist, I download a few albums and listen to them. If I want to buy the albums, then I'll go out and buy them. However, if I don't like what I've heard, I simply delete whatever I downloaded. It's like test driving a car before you buy it.

I see. Though that doesn't sound like what you first stated at all.

I download a lot of out of print thrash and NWOBHM stuff, but also buy it on vinyl if I can find it. For newer music, I usually just preview it on Youtube and then buy it if I like it. CDs and vinyl only though, I'm still a physical media person.

For all the focus there's been on downloading of music illegally in the last few years, I really don't see how its so different from borrowing a CD from someone and ripping a copy. In the case of downloading, someone had to buy the copy that's been uploaded. If the idea is how widespread the problem is, as a teenager I taped (which means I'm old ohmy.gif) albums friends had bought all the time, and my friends all did the same.

I understand why artists and labels don't like their product being obtained for free. My point is I don't understand why there wasn't as much focus on the same behavior in its earlier forms.

I illegally downloaded Porcupine Trees albums 9 years ago. Since then I have been an avid collector, including special editions, and have seen them live many times.

Anyone who knows PT knows that my previous statement means I have spent hundreds, if not 10s of hundreds of pounds on the band.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jul 14 2011, 08:01 AM)
For all the focus there's been on downloading of music illegally in the last few years, I really don't see how its so different from borrowing a CD from someone and ripping a copy. In the case of downloading, someone had to buy the copy that's been uploaded. If the idea is how widespread the problem is, as a teenager I taped (which means I'm old ohmy.gif) albums friends had bought all the time, and my friends all did the same.

I understand why artists and labels don't like their product being obtained for free. My point is I don't understand why there wasn't as much focus on the same behavior in its earlier forms.

There was...a lot of it. The MPAA wanted to halt VCR technology for the same reasons. They whined about the same apocalyptic consequences back then when actually it proved to give them a major revenue source.

These guys are always greedy for the NOW, never visionary enough to see profits of the future. It's what happens when you're an industry of 'yes' men and lawyers.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 13 2011, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 13 2011, 07:51 PM)
I don't download albums illegall

I will download it "illegally".

Hmmmm

What a quote mine.... lol

As In I won't illegally download music if it is a record that is currently in print and I can find easily in a record store on an online CD retailer

but I will download an album illegally if the record is out of print, and the only way I can get the album is through a very over priced used copy

I do have 1 more exception however... if an album comes out through a website, or through special order before it's general retail release..

I downloaded Radiohead's most recent album when it came out illegally, because it came out a month or two before general release.... the same with the most recent Spock's Beard album, and Steven Wilson's first solo album. And in all these cased I DID buy the album once the general CD release came out.

Edited by The Owl

only fools pay for something they can get for free. Anyway, i cant remember the last time i buy a CD. Besides, i rarely listen to any new material or watch a DVD concert, so, i dont see why i shouldn't download something, its not like im gonna sell it, is for personal consumption only.

only fools pay for something they can get for free. Anyway, i cant remember the last time i buy a CD. Besides, i rarely listen to any new material or watch a DVD concert, so, i dont see why i shouldn't download something, its not like im gonna sell it, is for personal consumption only.

I have no problem downloading something that's long out of print! Why should some dimwit that has a CD that's WAY out of print make money on E-bay!

! I liken downloading something to sharing albums years back. If someone loaned me an album (or tape) or I loaned them something, we expected that we would be making a tape for our own use at some point. Look at all of the used CD stores out there...making money off of what was already purchased, and not supplying the artist with any cut...but after all, the artist already DID get their cut! I've also downloaded a few things I have on album already...why should I be FORCED to by the new format, or the "upgraded" format in the "remasters" series! Half the time, the remaster is a horrible sounding version! (Chicago is one band that I have the remasters, but downloaded the original, and sonically they were a LOT better than the remaster!)

There ARE a few things I've seen recently that are fairly new, and I've downloaded them. Being an "anal completest", I will purchase the new Yes CD! (and there was something else recently I downloaded and ended up buying, but I forget at the moment)

I am using what I download for personal consumption...over the years, I've purchased a LOT of cd's unheard, on either a review, or someone elses, suggestion, or based upon one of their songs I heard on radio, and ended up HATING either the rest of the album, or the whole thing!

I feel vindicated that I can check something out, and decide whether I want to purchase the whole package, or decide not to, and toss the disc in my "dead" file! (more like two spindles of stuff I downloaded that I won't listen to again)

Edited by Jaminbenb

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 14 2011, 08:05 AM)
I illegally downloaded Porcupine Trees albums 9 years ago. Since then I have been an avid collector, including special editions, and have seen them live many times.

Anyone who knows PT knows that my previous statement means I have spent hundreds, if not 10s of hundreds of pounds on the band.

Yep, that's big bucks there!!

I also had Recordings before it was re-released. Since its re-release I've purchased the CD AND vinyl.

Edited by tjtull