Out of Print = Fair Game?

The Owl

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jul 14 2011, 08:50 AM)
I usually just preview it on Youtube and then buy it if I like it. CDs and vinyl only though, I'm still a physical media person.

yes.gif exactly.

My general rule in downloading is this: is the item I am downloading a marketed product? If not, then I have no problem downloading it, as I cannot obtain it otherwise.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 14 2011, 01:27 PM)
youtube sampling is every bit as illegal as downloading

are you referring to uploading or viewing? Don't see how viewing can be illegal.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 14 2011, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 14 2011, 01:27 PM)
youtube sampling is every bit as illegal as downloading

are you referring to uploading or viewing? Don't see how viewing can be illegal.

It's illegal for the person who uploaded the song in question. If you don't have permission, it's illegal. It goes for anything that's copyrighted, from music to television shows and movie scenes.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jul 14 2011, 09:38 AM)
only fools pay for something they can get for free

so post your address so we can come buy and take your stuff

it would be foolish to buy our own, right?

Edited by ghostworks

I'm finding some pretty ignorant attitudes in this thread

I bet none of you who illegally download music would like to be laid off without pay for a month just because your boss found an intern who'd do what you do for free

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jul 13 2011, 09:04 PM)
I download a ton of music.  Most of it is out of curiosity (aka bands I wouldn't buy cds from otherwise) and occasionally I'll stumble onto a winner and discover a band I really love.  Then I'll buy their music.

I really only buy music from bands who have 'won me over' so to speak.

I admit I DL'd stuff to find out if I like it. But that led to me spending way too much money supporting bands I like because I buy what I like.

So, I stopped DLing.

Edited by Gompers

I buy my cd's/vinyls I hate having some music only on my computer.

And I believe being a musician is also a job, so who am I to deny them their paycheck.

On the other hand I don't mind downloading music from dead artists

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 15 2011, 11:27 AM)

I bet none of you who illegally download music would like to be laid off without pay for a month just because your boss found an intern who'd do what you do for free

z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif

Aaaaaaaah, laugh.gif That's so adorable. You kill me sometimes.

Edited by ioc

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jul 13 2011, 09:04 PM)
I download a ton of music. Most of it is out of curiosity (aka bands I wouldn't buy cds from otherwise) and occasionally I'll stumble onto a winner and discover a band I really love. Then I'll buy their music.

I really only buy music from bands who have 'won me over' so to speak.

Yep, this sums it up for me. yes.gif

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 15 2011, 10:17 AM)

z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif

So are you saying that business isn't effected by internet piracy?

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 15 2011, 02:10 PM)

I'm saying that I find contrived righteous indignation and spurious illustrations amusing.

Edited by ioc

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 15 2011, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jul 14 2011, 09:38 AM)
only fools pay for something they can get for free

so post your address so we can come buy and take your stuff

it would be foolish to buy our own, right?

thats not what i meant, but you got a point, ill give you that. Anyway, im not buying music never again.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 15 2011, 03:10 PM)

no, it's not. the only thing record companies lose is POTENTIAL sales, and most people probably wouldn't have bought the stuff they download anyways. Not to mention, the increase in exposure also leads to a greater number of potential sales.

The theft analogy that so many defenders of the record industry use is fundamentally flawed in that when music is downloaded nothing is taken from anyone else. To steal a physical copy of a CD from a record shop is theft of music, but to download a digital copy isn't.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 15 2011, 05:56 PM)

no, it's not. the only thing record companies lose is POTENTIAL sales, and most people probably wouldn't have bought the stuff they download anyways. Not to mention, the increase in exposure also leads to a greater number of potential sales.

The theft analogy that so many defenders of the record industry use is fundamentally flawed in that when music is downloaded nothing is taken from anyone else. To steal a physical copy of a CD from a record shop is theft of music, but to download a digital copy isn't.

I guess you're just questioning the concept of intellectual property then?

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 15 2011, 02:56 PM)

I would have bought Yes's newest album Fly From Here, but instead I got the album on the day of the JPN release for free. They lost a potential sale, effecting business. Piracy does raise publicity, but how good will that publicity be when magnitudes pirate? If people buy band gear rather than the albums, then the music industry is effected and sales are being focused elsewhere.

The theft analogy that so many defenders of the record industry use is fundamentally flawed in that when music is downloaded nothing is taken from anyone else.  To steal a physical copy of a CD from a record shop is theft of music, but to download a digital copy isn't.

Definitely. Sharing is much better than stealing.

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 15 2011, 01:19 PM)

I'm saying that I find contrived righteous indignation and spurious illustrations amusing.

Okay. Cool down on the grammar next time. wink.gif

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 15 2011, 07:25 PM)
If people buy band gear rather than the albums, then the music industry is effected and sales are being focused elsewhere.

which is a good thing, because then the bands themselves make all the money from concert tickets and merchandise, while the record labels die the slow horrible death they deserve.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jul 15 2011, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 15 2011, 07:25 PM)
If people buy band gear rather than the albums, then the music industry is effected and sales are being focused elsewhere.

which is a good thing, because then the bands themselves make all the money from concert tickets and merchandise, while the record labels die the slow horrible death they deserve.

I honestly wish that more bands would self publish, and distribute! Except for the Zappa family, most bands that DO sell their own recorded products, sell them for MUCH less than the labels, and record stores, and THEY make the money!

As the proud owner of over 3000 CD's (officially released silver cd's that is) and the owner of MANY "dogs" that I've listened to ONCE and never listened to again because it didn't live up to either the bands other work, or was just a crappy album that had ONE hit that was worth listening to, I don't feel any regret for downloading something, burning and listening to it, then if I LIKE it purchasing the entire product to add to my "collection".

My attitude is that if the recording industry is THAT CONCERNED with the piracy involved, then they should target the people, and systems that are PROVIDING the download! If it's there, I'll download it to check it out. If it's NOT there, I (and 1000's of other people) can't download it!

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 15 2011, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 15 2011, 01:19 PM)

Okay. Cool down on the grammar next time. wink.gif

Eh, buddy, that's what happens when you ask me to get more specific about what I'm saying. You bettah know I'm gonna get grammatical on yo @$$! tongue.gif

I understand the view that it's morally wrong to download music. I also don't have unlimited disposable income, and I'm not exactly going to not listen to something I want to listen to if I can't afford to buy it when it would take me five minutes to find it online.

I absolutely hate the CD format and can't remember the last time I bought one, but I buy stuff on vinyl when I can. I go to shows. I buy shirts and stuff. I find ways to support the bands I like financially.

A lot of the blame lies with the record companies and how long they waited to start exploring digital music as a legit means of distribution rather than treating everyone who downloaded music like criminals.

What Apple is doing with the iCloud ($25/year to treat your personally ripped and downloaded files as if they were purchased digital files) and also things like Spotify could be very interesting.

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting something that's out of print. Take the MFSL versions of Moving Pictures or Signals. If you want to believe the "expert" opinions offered on the main board, these are the "best" cd versions. Sorry but I don't think I should line someone's pocket with an extra few hundred dollars that the band isn't going to get a cent of.

Let's just say there's no point in blowing that much on these so called best versions unless you have to have them.