Proposing at the concert?

drew_goring

QUOTE (Sgt.D @ Jun 17 2011, 11:54 AM)
Probably outside where she will hear him and not think he is just saying he has to take a piss or something.

"Honey?"

(no response)

"HONEY???"

"WOOOO!!!!!"

"I WAS WONDERING..."

"Uh huh! YEEAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

"Would you..."

"Yeah???"

"WOULD YOU MARRY ME!!!"

"WHAT? THEY'RE PLAYING 'SPINDRIFT' NEXT?"

"'SPINDRIFT?' NO, NOT CARRY ME, MARRY ME!!!"

"MARY? WHY BRING HER UP NOW?"

"NO, NO..."

"YOU'RE OVER HER! RIGHT?"

"NO, I MEAN, YES!"

"WOOOO!!! 'THE SHIFTING SHAFTS OF SHINING, WEAVE THE FABRIC OF THEIR DREAMS.' YEEAAAHHHH!"

"NO, WOULD YOU....Wait, WHAT? That just played JACOB'S LADDER??? And I MISSED IT??? F*CK!!!"

"WHAT'D YOU SAY?"

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 17 2011, 09:12 AM)
Probably outside where she will hear him and not think he is just saying he has to take a piss or something.

"Honey?"

(no response)

"HONEY???"

"WOOOO!!!!!"

"I WAS WONDERING..."

"Would you..."

"Yeah???"

"WOULD YOU MARRY ME!!!"

"NO, NO..."

"NO, I MEAN, YES!"

"WOOOO!!! 'THE SHIFTING SHAFTS OF SHINING, WEAVE THE FABRIC OF THEIR DREAMS.' YEEAAAHHHH!"

"NO, WOULD YOU....Wait, WHAT? That just played JACOB'S LADDER??? And I MISSED IT??? F*CK!!!"

"WHAT'D YOU SAY?"

LMAO !!! classic.

Unless "she" is a huge Rush fan, then it would be very selfish of him to propose at this concert.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 17 2011, 12:28 PM)
Unless "she" is a huge Rush fan, then it would be very selfish of him to propose at this concert.

Agree with that, and even if she is a big Rush fan, it's pretty iffy. Usually when a proposal is made at a public event, like a baseball game, the surrounding crowd is able to see and hear what's going on, and can react when the girl says "Yes." And often, it's set up with the stadium staff beforehand so a camera can be on them, or maybe the proposal is flashed on the scoreboard. That's the whole point of proposing in a place like that, right?

At a concert, it's dark and loud and too distracting, and IMO that's not the right setting for what should be the most romantic moment of your life. Unless the camera is on you and you're being shown on the big screen behind the band before "Entre Nous," I say, pick a better setting.

Either find someplace really romantic, or do it someplace that SHE really likes.

For guys, it's not all that big a deal, but many women have been dreaming their entire lives about what that moment will be like. Do you really want that moment to include some drunk Rush fan yelling, "Hey, I think that dude just proposed!" and then letting out a huge belch? no.gif

Edited by capoetc

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 17 2011, 11:12 AM)

"Honey?"

(no response)

"HONEY???"

"WOOOO!!!!!"

"I WAS WONDERING..."

"Would you..."

"Yeah???"

"WOULD YOU MARRY ME!!!"

"NO, NO..."

"NO, I MEAN, YES!"

"WHAT'D YOU SAY?"

z7shysterical.gif

"HONEY?!? WILL YOU MARRY ME?!?"

"HERESY?!? THEY'RE PLAYING HERESY?"

"NO, WILL YOU BE MY WIFE?!?

"BE WHAT? BU2B?!?"

Seriously, it doesn't sound like a good idea, even if they're both confirmed Rush fanatics. no.gif How about at dinner before the show?

I would say before or after for a more traditional proposal. If she's a huge Rush fan, and if someone were to propose to me (being a big fan) during a Rush concert, I'd much rather have the guy tap on my shoulder and pull out the ring, no words needed. But then again, I'm a total weirdo and not into the whole "traditional proposal". It really depends on the girl and how sentimental she is.

confused13.gif

IF they're going to be in the first few rows AND she's a huge enough Rush fan that she goes and looks at Arrowsmith's official pics a few days after the show, have him make a sign that says "*Rushdude* Says: I'm so in love with *Rushgirl*, I'm going to ask her to get married" a la "Slobovich Says: The last time somebody grabbed my sausage, I had to get remarried." Hopefully it'll go down like this: Arrowsmith takes a pic of it, at which point Rushgirl gets wind of what's going on and he holds up the ring, or she stays unaware until she sees the pic on Arrowsmith's site.

I so need my boyfriend to see this post wub.gif

When I saw Styx in 1996, a guy somehow arranged for Tommy Shaw to "propose for him" right before they performed "Crystal Ball". Tommy then dedicated the song to the "maybe or maybe not new newly engaged couple". So, yes, that in itself was pretty cool. Don't know if that would be Geddy or Rush's style though.

On the latest Billy Joel live CD, I believe someone proposed during the song "She's Only a Woman" on the big video screen. You can hear Joel yell, "Did she say yes?" right in the middle of the song. He then jokingly yelled "Get a pre-nup!" (for those that don't know, he recently went through his third divorce. Christie Brinkley was #2).

Clem

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jun 17 2011, 12:50 PM)
If she says no it could really put a damper on the concert.

goodpost.gif cuz if you don't get that yes, that's a pretty big matzah ball hanging out there.

Is the lady in question a Rush fan? If not then wait until after the concert. He will at least have a great memory before a possible let down. If she is a big fan then stand up and whip that ring out during Closer To The Heart and go for it. Love conquers all. heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 17 2011, 12:12 PM)

"Honey?"

(no response)

"HONEY???"

"WOOOO!!!!!"

"I WAS WONDERING..."

"Would you..."

"Yeah???"

"WOULD YOU MARRY ME!!!"

"NO, NO..."

"NO, I MEAN, YES!"

"WHAT'D YOU SAY?"

That...was....AWESOME! 1022.gif laugh.gif

Marriage proposals should be performed with dignity but above all with romance. People have no self-respect or self-awareness these days.

Take the girl for a nice candlelit meal then get down on one knee somewhere private and intimate and make her feel like the most special person in the world.

Oh and get permission from her father first.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 20 2011, 11:51 AM)
Marriage proposals should be performed with dignity but above all with romance. People have no self-respect or self-awareness these days.
Take the girl for a nice candlelit meal then get down on one knee somewhere private and intimate and make her feel like the most special person in the world.

yes.gif

Do people always take their friend with them when they pop the question ?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 20 2011, 10:51 AM)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (doublereeder @ Jun 17 2011, 06:16 PM)
I would say before or after for a more traditional proposal. If she's a huge Rush fan, and if someone were to propose to me (being a big fan) during a Rush concert, I'd much rather have the guy tap on my shoulder and pull out the ring, no words needed. But then again, I'm a total weirdo and not into the whole "traditional proposal". It really depends on the girl and how sentimental she is.
confused13.gif

I would say do it after the concert at another location... you know just in case she says no.. it wont put a damper on the WHOLE evening.

At least you got to see Rush... know what I'm sayin.

Also most girls don't like the pressure of being asked in public so I suggest you find something else to do while your buddy proposes to her.

Just once I want to see some girl say, "No", or "I have to think about this" when some putz proposes via the big screen at a sporting event.

If my now-husband had gone that route, I'd have been so mad I would have told him no. Just on general principle.

If I were your friend, I'd propose elsewhere. The band won't get involved or make it part of the show, and it would be just as others have said - a proposal in the midst of a bunch of overexcited and possibly drunk fans. Not very special.

If she's that big a Rush fan, he could always set the scene with some Rush music.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 21 2011, 11:49 AM)
I would say do it after the concert at another location

Agreed! We went to the Baltimore show in April. After the show, we had some drinks with friends and then went back to our hotel by ourselves. I ran the glass elevator (overlooking the Inner Harbor - a special place for us) to the top floor and "froze" it there. While my GF was admiring the moonlight view of the harbor, I did the proverbial "down on one knee" thing - she was completely shocked and accepted.

She is NOT a big Rush fan - this was her 1st show and pretty much came along just to meet some friends of mine. I didn't want to really relate the two (Rush & proposing). I think that things worked out perfectly.

So, here's my opinion for your buddy. DON'T propose at the show (unless she's already a HUGE fan). DON'T propose in public (with lots of people around). DON'T let him propose with you anywhere in the vicinity! Try to make it a romantic and memorable event.