Another album I just love now.

D3strukt

Feedback. My god, I used to LOATHE this album (Probably more than Vapor Trails.)

With the exception of Summertime Blues (Which is universally horrible, no matter WHO covers it (haha pun), Every song is golden.

Mr. Soooul.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif icon_alienjig.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 8 2011, 06:50 AM)
Feedback. My god, I used to LOATHE this album

I still do

It's decent, but doesn't get much airtime with me.

I think half the album is stellar though...

Summertime Blues, Heart Full of Soul, The Seeker, and Crossroads are all great IMO.

But yeah...not sure I want any more covers from the Boys. smile.gif

It is hard to get excited about, but I don't hate it. I love the live versions from the R30 tour. Maybe they should have just performed all the songs on tour and then released a live ep. That would have been something to get excited about.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 8 2011, 08:43 AM)
I still don't care for the album at all. There was no reason for the greatest band ever, 30 years into their career to release an album of covers.

This and the fact they could have picked better songs

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 8 2011, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 8 2011, 08:43 AM)
I still don't care for the album at all. There was no reason for the greatest band ever, 30 years into their career to release an album of covers.

This and the fact they could have picked better songs

yes.gif

I'm hoping they make a sequel. They need some Mountain, Sabbath, and Zeppelin on there, Also more Yes and Genisis.

It'd be lulzy to see them cover War Pigs or something, That'd be awesome.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 8 2011, 09:17 AM)
It is hard to get excited about, but I don't hate it. I love the live versions from the R30 tour. Maybe they should have just performed all the songs on tour and then released a live ep. That would have been something to get excited about.

goodpost.gif And only if they did some prog. 1022.gif

Feedback was an interesting experiment.

I agree with the OP, and I loved Mr. Soul. Also "For What It's Worth" was my 2nd favorite on the album.

And it's still better than Roll The Bones, sorry.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 8 2011, 08:01 AM)

I still do

I will always. I HATE most music from the 60s, and this album is a tribute to that time, which is fine, it was fun for them to do I guess, but I dont like a single song on it.

I really enjoy the album, and while it was perhaps a bit of an exercise in self-indulgence, I don't have a problem with that.

My favorites are "Heart Full of Soul" and "Shapes of Things".

While I tend not to seek out the songs from it, neither do I skip them when they come up in shuffle.

Summertime Blues isn't a big fave of mine, since I have a friend who overplayed a bunch of versions of it to me, and at first it really bugged me that Rush's didn't have the voice that answers the singer, but now I kinda like it, because it gives me room to fill it in. "I'd like to help ya, son, but you're too young to vote."

A bunch of the other songs are ones a former co-worker of mine used to cover in his band, so there's a sentimentality there that I enjoy.

I don't even really regard it as a Rush album. On one hand I'm thankful that they didn't try to intersperse the songs into an album of original material. On the other hand there's really no reason for them to have even done the album in the first place--covers albums really scream a lack of creativity to me. None of the songs on the EP grab me and I don't think I'd ever outright listen to the album in it's entirety.

QUOTE (Soni @ Jun 8 2011, 06:14 AM)
I like it!
I don't like the fact they wasted some time to make it when they could have made a "real" album instead.

I feel the same way too.

That said, it's decent. I mean, every track is good, it just seems kind of pointless to me personally. As a fan of the era of music they were doing covers of, none of their versions were better than the originals, but they did put a Rush spin on them, for what it's worth ( wink.gif ).

So, while for me it seems like they wasted precious studio time and the music doesn't really seem to fit them somehow, they wanted to do it and they did it, and there it is.

All THAT said, Feedback is a lot better than Presto, RTB, TFE and especially VT.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 8 2011, 09:22 PM)

All THAT said, Feedback is a lot better than Presto, RTB, TFE and especially VT.

couldnt resist could ya...

but 7 & 7 is worth the disc to me alone. the rest I'm indifferent or prefer to hear live

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jun 8 2011, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 8 2011, 09:22 PM)

couldnt resist could ya...

but 7 & 7 is worth the disc to me alone. the rest I'm indifferent or prefer to hear live

couldn't resist? is that a T4E joke? wink.gif

it has nothing to do with resisting - just calling 'em like i hear 'em! yes.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 8 2011, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 8 2011, 08:01 AM)

I still do

I will always. I HATE most music from the 60s, and this album is a tribute to that time, which is fine, it was fun for them to do I guess, but I dont like a single song on it.

Oh wow, I'm going to agree with you here, especially about 60's music. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Mostly. (Sorry, goobs, I really am).

Except they did a good job covering The Seeker - I do like that one. I'm sure it was fun for them, but I hope it was a one-off.