Neil to be on Letterman..

liddybuck01

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 10 2011, 08:35 AM)
I forgot to set my DVR. angry.gif Funny how much stuff slips your mind when you have three little ones at home. doh.gif

I got it - swing by the house smile.gif I haven't watched it yet

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 9 2011, 11:38 PM)
Not the best drummer ever, but still my absolute favorite and I just love to see him play. He looked a little angry laugh.gif but it made my day to see him play  biggrin.gif

People always say that I look angry too when in actuality, I'm just either really focused or intently concentrating. I never could understand what they were talking about because often I was having a good time, but I saw myself on tape once and it's true. I don't know why my face does that, but I do look angry. Guess I need to work on putting on that broad, vacant smile that dancers often have when they perform.

I just took a look at it

> first thing that hit me

god I hate that Paragon ride - sounded like ass when I tried it out at Guitar Center, sounded like ass live on Letterman

> also

Neil's got his high rack toms positioned up in the clouds - so much so he was catching a lot of rim with his sticks at the beginning of his solo - a beginner no-no

that said, it was nice to see him outside of the boomy arena experience - none of that cheating tight slapback delay on his toms

and I don't mind the industrial electronic samples, but I wish he'd incorporate better

he pretty much had the electronic sample kit w/KAT controller thing down by '89 - 20 years on, I'm expecting a little innovation here - mix the electronics and acoustic drums and cymbals, bring back some acoustic percussion (temple bells etc) and throw them in there - drop a stick and pick up a shaker or start slapping a pair of congas while you trigger samples with foot pedals... (that's just off the top of my head)

I think sometimes Neil forgets - "Damn it, man you're NEILFUCKINGPEART!"

last .02

kudos to Dave for getting the name right

but a little cringe-worthy at the end - Dave (holds up LP): "There it is. Moving Pictures."

Does he shower with that f-n hat ? A 4 min solo and you need the hat ?

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jun 10 2011, 07:51 AM)
QUOTE (teababe27 @ Jun 10 2011, 12:43 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jun 10 2011, 12:44 AM)
Lame shampoo joke was lame.
Loved Neil Patrick Harris. (Squee!)
Loved that guy who was on at the end before Neil. (Lol! Love those cell phone help-lines, I was dying with laughter.)

Oh and that drummer guy was pretty cool too. wink.gif
First time I noticed the "One - two - three - four!" part, or was I seeing things?

Agreed. It was good, as expected.

And you weren't seeing things when Neil was counting.

I think Neil always does a "count down" leading into the Love For Sale portion of his solo. I noticed it when I saw them in Chicago and have seen it in several of the drum solo youtube vids.

Okay, good to see confirmation from a few different people I wasn't seeing things.

Personally I'd never seen that but I think it works in really well. Really gives it that jazzy, swing kind of feel like you'd see live.

QUOTE (shail @ Jun 10 2011, 06:47 AM)
Neil is very good with the band. The drum solo stuff not so good. Very generic ideas going on. It's beginner stuff. Oh well. Great exposure for him and the band

wtf.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 10 2011, 10:24 AM)

> also
Neil's got his high rack toms positioned up in the clouds - so much so he was catching a lot of rim with his sticks at the beginning of his solo - a beginner no-no

I bet Gump & Co didn't have as much time to devote to the kit setup as they normally do on tour. I'm sure even the tiniest maladjustment makes a huge difference.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 10 2011, 12:47 PM)
Neil is very good with the band. The drum solo stuff not so good. Very generic ideas going on. It's beginner stuff. Oh well. Great exposure for him and the band

wtf.gif

Yeah, not bad for a rookie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/disgusted.gif

wtf.gif

Methinks shail is a troll.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 10 2011, 12:19 PM)

> also

I bet Gump & Co didn't have as much time to devote to the kit setup as they normally do on tour. I'm sure even the tiniest maladjustment makes a huge difference.

Neil has been playing inefficiently for most of his career - he uses 10x the energy he needs to to get the job done, and has a moderately poor set up ergonomically

that he's managed to impress and overwhelm most of us for almost four decades is a testament to his great endurance and talent (though the mind boggles when imagining what he could've accomplished with a better setup and proper kinesthetics)

I'm nitpicking, but I'm sure the 'rimsticking' was just a case of being a little sloppy - he's been working against himself and his drum kit very successfully for 40 years, he's bound to slip occasionally

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 10 2011, 12:24 PM)

wtf.gif

You put this in every post now, don't you? laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 10 2011, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 10 2011, 12:24 PM)

wtf.gif

You put this in every post now, don't you? laugh.gif

Sometimes I throw this one in just for fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/epic-facepalm.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jun 10 2011, 11:43 AM)
http://youtu.be/JWyABiUpihs

Thanks!

Not sure if you saw my post on the last page, but as I was trying to watch last night (and DVR it at the same time), bad weather moved through my area and my DirecTV went on the fritz. First time seeing it.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 10 2011, 12:32 PM)
Neil has been playing inefficiently for most of his career - he uses 10x the energy he needs to to get the job done, and has a moderately poor set up ergonomically

that he's managed to impress and overwhelm most of us for almost four decades is a testament to his great endurance and talent (though the mind boggles when imagining what he could've accomplished with a better setup and proper kinesthetics)

I'm nitpicking, but I'm sure the 'rimsticking' was just a case of being a little sloppy - he's been working against himself and his drum kit very successfully for 40 years, he's bound to slip occasionally

Ya know something? You are one of the most insufferable members on this entire website. wink.gif

Seriously though, your post reminds me of those "insufferable" posts we were treated to a few years back from "Melodic777," who continuously trashed Geddy's bass tone and insisted to us that he was much better.

I just took a look at it

god I hate that Paragon ride - sounded like ass when I tried it out at Guitar Center, sounded like ass live on Letterman

I totally agree. At an arena show, or in a recording of one, you tend to hear only the attack of the cymbal, and almost none of the decay and actual tonal quality. Not that case last night. We got to hear what that cymbal really sounds like, and I didn't like it at all. It sounded cheap! Maybe all that funky Time Machine artwork is contributing to that?

The crashes sounded pretty good.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 10 2011, 01:53 PM)

Ya know something? You are one of the most insufferable members on this entire website. wink.gif

Seriously though, your post reminds me of those "insufferable" posts we were treated to a few years back from "Melodic777," who continuously trashed Geddy's bass tone and insisted to us that he was much better.

In all fairness, Ghostie does not come close to M777. No one does.

And Ghostie has a point, or at least HAD one. Meaning, to me, he's describing Neil's technique and kit ergonomics from the pre-Gruber era. Don't get me wrong, Neil still exerts a lot of energy pounding the crap out of his drums, but his motion seems more natural now.

Look at last night's solo as compared to the one from A Show Of Hands where he's all hunched over with his arms too tight to his body.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2011, 02:06 PM)

And Ghostie has a point, or at least HAD one. Meaning, to me, he's describing Neil's technique and kit ergonomics from the pre-Gruber era. Don't get me wrong, Neil still exerts a lot of energy pounding the crap out of his drums, but his motion seems more natural now.

Look at last night's solo as compared to the one from A Show Of Hands where he's all hunched over with his arms too tight to his body.

I'm glad I'm ignorant enough to enjoy only what I hear! And I like what I hear!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2011, 01:01 PM)
I just took a look at it

I totally agree. At an arena show, or in a recording of one, you tend to hear only the attack of the cymbal, and almost none of the decay and actual tonal quality. Not that case last night. We got to hear what that cymbal really sounds like, and I didn't like it at all. It sounded cheap! Maybe all that funky Time Machine artwork is contributing to that?

The crashes sounded pretty good.

agreed

the crashes last night sounded great

I tried those as well at GC when the Paragons debuted on the market, and hated them (until I hit the crap out of them wink.gif ) - they really are built for Neil/his style of playing

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 10 2011, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 10 2011, 02:06 PM)

I'm glad I'm ignorant enough to enjoy only what I hear! And I like what I hear!

That's a good point too. If you listen to that ASOH solo, it sounds pretty damn good! But what Neil has brought to his drumming post-Gruber is a more relaxed feel, and the ability to groove more. He couldn't play like that 20 years ago.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 10 2011, 12:53 PM)

I'm starting to take that kind of commentary as a source of pride biggrin.gif

why you (and many others) react this way to such posts is quite understandable

everyone can easily assess Neil's experience and expertise - read a book, listen to a record, watch a video, head to a live performance, judge for yourself

you don't need to 'trust' Neil - you can literally research his 'cred' via the avenues I've described above (and more) and decide for yourself

conversely, my experience and expertise can only be trusted - I can't expect members of a messageboard to be vested in researching my 'cred'

besides - even if you were interested, I'm not inclined to share tongue.gif (I hardly have the resources Neil does to keep 'the great unwashed' at bay)

I've been pretty consistent with my 'technical' posts over the last four years, and I think my knowledge base comes through (or I'm one hell of a well-versed fake)

if all you're getting is 'insufferable know-it-all' from my posts, then I'm likely guilty of posting with too much specificity for a general audience

not everyone can (or wants to) get 'down in the weeds' about condenser mics and snare bed tension - I do

and every so often, a member with similar interest and/or expertise will chime in (sometimes in agreement, sometimes in argument), and the thread will entertain and enlighten

^ I accept that that will always be the exception (given the nature of messageboards), and hope you can trust me one last time when I tell you I'll never take personal offense if you 'don't like' what I say or how I say it trink39.gif