Scenes That Made You Cry

Tick

This is the thread where we admit the unthinkable.(for men anyhow) The movie scenes that invoke some tear drops.

I will go first.

Damn, I can't believe I'm going to have to turn in my man card for admitting this but...

There is a scene in the movie, "The Notebook" when James Garner is having a wonderful moment with his wife who suffers from Alzheimer and dementia, where she is remembering there life together clearly. They enjoy dinner together and then he asks her to dance. He is in heaven and he feels he is with the women he loves and she is whole again. Then in the middle of the dance it all ends, as her dementia kicks in. She looks at him in fear not recognizing him anymore, and she starts to panic and scream. He tries to console her and hold her but she is freaking out. As the orderly's enter the room he is left in pieces sobbing brokenhearted.

This scene ruined me when I saw it. I imagined if that were me with my wife and yes, I cried.

Your turn...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are few movies I watch that are outside of the genre of science fiction or action. That being said, there have been even fewer movies that I've seen that have made me misty eyed. Only one actually made me shed a few tears:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan -

When I first saw this movie, I had seen the ToS reboot and all three seasons of the original series/Star Trek: The Motion Picture. So when I saw this, I actually believed that Spock wouldn't appear in movies 3-6 (even though he appears as an old man in ST11). Nerdy, but true.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (USB Connector @ May 18 2011, 09:00 AM)
There are few movies I watch that are outside of the genre of science fiction or action. That being said, there have been even fewer movies that I've seen that have made me misty eyed. Only one actually made me shed a few tears:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Spock's Death and Funeral

When I first saw this movie, I had seen the ToS reboot and all three seasons of the original series/Star Trek: The Motion Picture. So when I saw this, I actually believed that Spock wouldn't appear in movies 3-6 (even though he appears as an old man in ST11). Nerdy, but true.

My whole family and I went to see The Wrath of Khan when it first came out. The gossip was that Spock was going to die, and we all hoped that it wasn't true. So when his death scene arrived, we DID get choked up. fists crying.gif

I distinctly remember the scene in which Kirk calls Scotty and says, "We need warp speed in two minutes or we're all dead."......and then Spock looks up, realizes what he has to do, and leaves the bridge. My reaction was, "Oh GOD, NO......NO!!!" fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ May 18 2011, 09:00 AM)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Spock's Death and Funeral

That scene.

THAT. SCENE.

Me. On the couch. Bawling into the popcorn.

Oh my goodness. D:

I was so happy when he came back in the third movie. xD

I also cried pretty much all the way through the last part of the DS9 series finale (What You Leave Behind). I mean, GOSH, Sisko had to leave Kasidy, Worf didn't have Jadzia, Odo had to leave Kira to join the Founders (nuuu!!).. Heartbreaking beyond belief. It's crazy how close you can get to fictional characters. :C

But the real tear-jerker for me? The only time I've ever openly sobbed for many, many minutes while in front of a television screen?

Marley and Me.

The END when Marley is on the veterinarian table and they're about to euthanize him... oh my gosh... I have an older dog with many health problems and I think about that every day. It haunts me. It was played out so well in that movie that I just sobbed, and my mom sobbed, and my dad handed Kleenexes to us for about twenty straight minutes...

Oh, man. I don't think I can ever watch that movie again.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 18 2011, 11:44 AM)
But the real tear-jerker for me? The only time I've ever openly sobbed for many, many minutes while in front of a television screen?
Marley and Me.
The END when Marley is on the veterinarian table and they're about to euthanize him... oh my gosh... I have an older dog with many health problems and I think about that every day. It haunts me. It was played out so well in that movie that I just sobbed, and my mom sobbed, and my dad handed Kleenexes to us for about twenty straight minutes...

Any time the dog dies, or does something really noble in a movie, I cry. I am a softie for dogs.

That said, I didn't see Marley and Me. I had read the book and knew how it ended. (In fact, I finished the book in the airport, waiting for a packed flight to board. Yes, there I was on the floor, surrounded by 100+ of my fellow passengers, sobbing my f*ckin' eyes out!)

The FIRST time I saw The Champ, I cried at the end. For some odd reason I've laughed my ass off on repeat viewings. I do not know why, except that that ending got spoofed and made fun of quite a bit, so perhaps that's the explanation for my otherwise sick reaction.

My husband gets teary-eyed over sports movies. Though not as much lately because Heartless Me has poked fun at him for it.

If you want to ball for 2 hours straight, rent this Japanese film "Antarctica" about a team of sled dogs abandoned in the Antarctic. I was a wreck after watching it.

http://www.moviepostershop.com/antarctica-movie-poster-1020558311.jpg

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (Mara @ May 18 2011, 12:34 PM)
The FIRST time I saw The Champ, I cried at the end.

I remember the first time I saw that. Wow. It was a serious tear jerker.

Also, and I am a bit embarrassed to admit it, but the whole "It's not your fault" scene from Good Will Hunting really bothered me.

QUOTE (tick @ May 18 2011, 09:37 AM)
This is the thread where we admit the unthinkable.(for men anyhow) The movie scenes that invoke some tear drops.

I will go first.

Damn, I can't believe I'm going to have to turn in my man card for admitting this but...

There is a scene in the movie, "The Notebook" when James Garner is having a wonderful moment with his wife who suffers from Alzheimer and dementia, where she is remembering there life together clearly. They enjoy dinner together and then he asks her to dance. He is in heaven and he feels he is with the women he loves and she is whole again. Then in the middle of the dance it all ends, as her dementia kicks in. She looks at him in fear not recognizing him anymore, and she starts to panic and scream. He tries to console her and hold her but she is freaking out. As the orderly's enter the room he is left in pieces sobbing brokenhearted.
This scene ruined me when I saw it. I imagined if that were me with my wife and yes, I cried.

Your turn...

I know the scene you're referring to and it affects me too.

"October Sky" gets to me towards the ending. A lot of things come together at the end - most notably, Homer Hickham's first successful homemade rocket launch and the moment he and his father share in that experience. The two did not see eye to eye throughout the film but that changed at the end. It gets me everytime.

There's a few scenes in "A League of their own", but the most important one was when someone got a letter from the war department.

I have a headache that is interfering with my concentration but I know there are others that I can't remember right offhand.

The scene in "Black Hawk Down" when Delta Snipers SFC Randy Shughart and MSG Gary Gordon choose to insert themselves into hostile territory to retrieve and defend a downed AH-60 pilot (Chief Warrant Officer Mike Durant) knowing full well that they wouldn't make it back. Outnumbered and out gunned, the two of them held off a force of over 300 Somalis while protecting the injured pilot. Inevitably, their ammunition was depleted and they were overtaken and killed. The pilot was captured, but later was released.

Point is, those two men gave their lives to defend a man they didn't even know. They only knew that he was a fellow soldier. Being an Infantryman, that scene hits me hard. They gave it all in the name of comradery.

The two snipers were posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

(Fun fact: The Somali force attacking them counted some 54 dead at the hands of the snipers. Seriously badass motherfu*kers.)

QUOTE (Mara @ May 18 2011, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 18 2011, 11:44 AM)
Marley and Me.

Any time the dog dies, or does something really noble in a movie, I cry. I am a softie for dogs.

That said, I didn't see Marley and Me. I had read the book and knew how it ended. (In fact, I finished the book in the airport, waiting for a packed flight to board. Yes, there I was on the floor, surrounded by 100+ of my fellow passengers, sobbing my f*ckin' eyes out!)

Even though I'm not a dog owner, that movie got me choked up a bit. Not only during that scene in the vet's office, but Jennifer Aniston had a few scenes where she really drew empathy, both in reaction to the dog and when she herself was in the doctor's office about her baby.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 18 2011, 08:48 AM)
The married life montage from "Up" packs a pretty good wallop.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

fists crying.gif

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ May 18 2011, 01:46 PM)
The scene in "Black Hawk Down" when Delta Snipers SFC Randy Shughart and MSG Gary Gordon choose to insert themselves into hostile territory to retrieve and defend a downed AH-60 pilot (Chief Warrant Officer Mike Durant) knowing full well that they wouldn't make it back. Outnumbered and out gunned, the two of them held off a force of over 300 Somalis while protecting the injured pilot. Inevitably, their ammunition was depleted and they were overtaken and killed. The pilot was captured, but later was released.

Point is, those two men gave their lives to defend a man they didn't even know. They only knew that he was a fellow soldier. Being an Infantryman, that scene hits me hard. They gave it all in the name of comradery.

The two snipers were posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

(Fun fact: The Somali force attacking them counted some 54 dead at the hands of the snipers. Seriously badass motherfu*kers.)

It gets me, too!

My Father in law actually knew and served with Randy Shugart, he told me Randy's SF nickname was "Super Jew". laugh.gif My Father in law's nickname was Poncho because he has a thick droopy mustache and they told him he looked like a stereotypical Mexican bad guy from a B Western! laugh.gif

Oh, I totally forgot about Schindler's List and Up. The aforementioned scenes: Definitely.

And this wasn't a movie scene but a couple book scenes (from Harry Potter): When Sirius and Dumbledore died, respectively, that was just too much for me to handle. I wept onto those pages. ;^; It was just.. gah! Two fantastic characters, two books in a row; just too much. And then all the characters who passed on in the 7th book. Why, J.K. Rowling, why!?

ooh boy, I find myself crying much easier at movies as I've got older (not out-right weaping, but definitely tears). A brief sample includes:

Father of the Bride - lots of times during this movie

Bridge to Teribithia (sp?) - when the boy learns that his friend died.

Up - the opening montage

Toy Story 3 - the end

Field of Dreams - "Want to have a catch?"

and on and on