your favourite "thing"

tel

wheres your or leave that?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. wheres your or leave that?

• wheres my thing
    • leave that thing alone

LTTA...hands down. Not that I don't like WMT, but LTTA is just such a balanced, rockin', groovie, diverse tune. Love listening to it more than the other.

I hate "Where's My Thing?" and love "Leave That Thing Alone". Easy choice.

(I know that it was a joke, but the "Gangster of Boats Trilogy" gimmick actually makes sense if you think of it as progressing backwards, like the Fear trilogy, from "The Main Monkey Business", through "Limbo", to both of the "thing" songs. And, if you consider the "thing" songs to be a single entry in the trilogy, "Where's My Thing?" being the fourth part actually works. I can't remember how I figured this out, but I always thought that it was pretty cool.)

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Apr 24 2011, 02:31 PM)
I hate "Where's My Thing?" and love "Leave That Thing Alone".  Easy choice.

(I know that it was a joke, but the "Gangster of Boats Trilogy" gimmick actually makes sense if you think of it as progressing backwards, like the Fear trilogy, from "The Main Monkey Business", through "Limbo", to both of the "thing" songs.  And, if you consider the "thing" songs to be a single entry in the trilogy, "Where's My Thing?" being the fourth part actually works.  I can't remember how I figured this out, but I always thought that it was pretty cool.)

user posted image

Leave That Thing Alone for me, especially thanks to Geddy's incredibly intense recent performances of it live.

I needed a cigarette after that song in Hershey a few weeks ago, and I don't even smoke!

The first Thing or the second Thing?

I've ALWAYS loved LTTA of the 46 times I've seen this band the one song I can close my eyes and imagine some jazz band up on stage jamming. tongue.gif

I'm in the huge minority, but I much prefer WMT. While I also like LTTA, it just drones on. Sure LTTA shows far more technical prowess, but WMT is way more upbeat and catchy. It's also a nice funky deviation for the boys.

Love them both, and although I think LTTA is better than WMT in terms of sound production (RTB is too mellow/thin for me IMO) and the fact it's one of Geddy's better bass groves (I bop my head to that bass line all the time) I went for WMT because it's got a catchy, funky beat and has this groove that I find so awesome, and I quote a YouTube comment, I want to smash my head through a wall whenever I hear that part.

When this was played for the only time on the RTB tour it really benefited from a live setting, as I said before it's much heavier than in the studio. I really hope it comes back into the setlist or gets an official live release someday. IMO, it's an underrated instrumental.

Leave That Thing Alone is one of my favorite songs from one of my favoriet post-Power Windows albums, so this is easy. That being said, Where's My Thing is one of my favorite songs from my least favorite Rush album, period. So its got that going for it, I suppose! I've always thought of WMT as 'YYZ Lite'. It's a nice little jam with some cool synth texturing in it.

Where's my thing had a pretty good bass solo live in 91, but it lacks the melody that exists in the the other instrumentals. LTTA has more more melody in my opinion. I can barely remember how WMT? goes.

Archived