Caress of Steel

Akron162

I have recently listen to the Caress of Steel album, and i realized that is great, great album, The Necromancer is an excellent song, whit awsome vocals from Geddy and a powerfull guitar, and The Fountain of Lamneth has really beutifull parts, you don't even feel that it last 20 minutes. My only complain about it is I Think im Going Bald, is a pretty strange song, but whatever, is a really awsome album. I think i like it more than 2112.

However, when it come out, nobody like it, critics hated it (so strange) and it was a a comercial disaster, so big that the band really consider quit music.

I don't know, this is a mystery for me. What do you think? Why Caress os Stewl was a failure?

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Apr 23 2011, 04:44 PM)
I have recently listen to the Caress of Steel album, and i realized that is great, great album, The Necromancer is an excellent song, whit awsome vocals from Geddy and a powerfull guitar, and The Fountain of Lamneth has really beutifull parts, you don't even feel that it last 20 minutes. My only complain about it is I Think im Going Bald, is a pretty strange song, but whatever, is a really awsome album. I think i like it more than 2112.

However, when it come out, nobody like it, critics hated it (so strange) and it was a a comercial disaster, so big that the band really consider quit music.

I don't know, this is a mystery for me. What do you think? Why Caress os Stewl was a failure?

I think it "failed" because it was so much different than their first two albums. People weren't expecting the change in style and it turned a lot of people off.

I had the same reaction when I listened to Grace Under Pressure for the first time. I was seriously disappointed. How could a rock band like Rush release masterpieces such as Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals, (I know that one's a bit of a stretch) change direction so abruptly and expect the fans to follow suit?

That's my personal opinion, of course.

Maybe the shift toward a more psychedelic/spacey sound pitted it against Yes's and Pink Floyd's output, putting it at a commercial disadvantage? Maybe "The Fountain of Lamneth"'s transparent nature as six disparate songs was a turn-off to progressive rock fans accustomed to "Close to the Edge" and its ilk? Maybe "I Think I'm Going Bald" and that awful narration in "The Necromancer" kept people from taking it seriously? I can't imagine that its weird split between conventional rock ("Bastille Day") and out-and-out progressive fare ("The Necromancer") did it any favors, either.

I think it failed for reasons that have already been stated. It really was a change in style for them, just like GUP a few years later. I actually love the album and find it one of their most underrated albums. People like it when bands are doing one thing. Rush got people with their heavy playing and songs, so going from that to something that really was completely out of left field...a lot of people were destined to just quit the band from there. I can understand why people would hate it.

CoS came out when Rush were still trying to find that signature style of theirs I think. It was a formative record. To me, it was a "Let's put this out and see what happens" move that obviously failed. But they expanded from there on and finally found that niche they had been searching for. Without CoS, I think the band would have kept the Zeppelin-esque sound that they had with the first two records. Even then, if they kept that cycle going too long, people would have left eventually because it would get boring.

Rush was sold as Zeppelin / Bad Company by the Label. CoS was nowhere near that. Folks thought songs like By-Tor & the Snow Dog was a fluke track on FbN. Little did they know Cos would be less "Fly By Night" and more "By-Tor" Confused a lot of people.

Me, I've always loved it. It just has such a warm, (forgive me) groovie sound. And I loved the concept...and, yes, Geddy's singing. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Sales wise I wouldn't say it "failed". The album was certified gold in the US, so it's not like it wasn't successful in a way. I think it was the lack of a big single and the two epics which were just way too out there for a lot of people is what prevented it from selling more.

My local radio station always used to play 'Bastille Day' which led me to believe that was a hit for them. So i've never seen the album as a failure.

I like the album though. It takes some getting used to. Nobody is gonna 'get' The Necromancer or TFOL after the first listen.

I think it failed because it only had 1 accessible commercial song.

Mind you, I love 3 of the 5 songs on this album, but only Lakeside Park had commercial potential and was easily accessible to the neophyte. It's catchy and pretty and it's just a big winner. Unfortunately, that one song wasn't enough to win people over.

As much as I love Bastille Day, I think it's simply too high pitched vocally to have mass appeal. Not a good song for Rush beginners unless you just immediately love early Rush.

And as much as I love The Fountain of Lamneth, it's very long and doesn't have an easily accessible flow between sections. The song took many years to grow on me.

I Think I'm Going Bald fails simply because it's lyrically ridiculous. I know they were attempting to be funny, but it just didn't work. Cool music, yes, but ruined by the vocals.

The Necromancer fails because of the horrendous narration. Yeah, there are cool parts and killer guitar soloing, but the narration is just a big turn-off.

I've only listened to it a few times, and the only songs I really liked were Bastille Day and Lakeside Park. I Think I'm Going Bald isn't bad but there's nothing that great about it either. The epics really don't do much for me. I really should give this album more listens before I come to any conclusions.

in honor of your thread here, I'm spinning my Caress Of Steel LP for the first time (I bought it about 2 months ago) but just before I bought it I borrowed my friend's album so I've been waiting to play this record for a while.

Side 2 first cool.gif

...ah, sweet 2.gif vinyl, baby!

no failure for Rush as far as I am concerned. I love this album.

It's a dark, unconventional, uncompromising and inaccessible album. The only possible radio friendly track would've been Lakeside Park. It was recorded very quickly and the production of it isn't as bright as Fly By Night or 2112. I love every minute of it however. One of the three Rush albums I first heard and one of my favorites even now.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 23 2011, 11:07 PM)
I Think I'm Going Bald fails simply because it's lyrically ridiculous. I know they were attempting to be funny, but it just didn't work. Cool music, yes, but ruined by the vocals.

I like the comedic lyrics actually. It was like Rush's own attempt at writing Frank Zappa lyrics. tongue.gif

To me the album is not a failure. Its in my top 5 for Rush. Love the album. Favorite song from it is Lakeside Park.

^ All of the above.

But really, if any of us knew why, we'd be record company execs wink.gif

I agree with what Goober said. Those are the reasons why is wasn't a mass commercial success.

It was a success for me because its one of my top5. great album. I'll take the horrendous narration in "The Necromancer" over the painful rap in "roll the bones" any day.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 24 2011, 01:02 AM)
Love this album and Lamneth is a top ten rush tune for me. biggrin.gif
That is all.

THIS yes.gif

Its a very moody album,kinda takes you places...love it to bits!

I love this album, BUT it took many years to "get it" I've listened and put away many times over the years. Only recently in the last 3 years or so has this album moved up in the ranks.

This is one of those that I put in and listen all the way thru, no hitting skip on any of it.

QUOTE (MCM @ Apr 24 2011, 07:30 AM)
I love this album, BUT it took many years to "get it" I've listened and put away many times over the years. Only recently in the last 3 years or so has this album moved up in the ranks.

This is one of those that I put in and listen all the way thru, no hitting skip on any of it.

True. At first I could take or leave ITIGB and LP, but they have grown on me. To me, this album is all about Necromancer and TFOL.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 24 2011, 11:13 AM)
Sales wise I wouldn't say it "failed". The album was certified gold in the US, so it's not like it wasn't successful in a way.

Surely, it only went gold because of the successful albums AFTER it. I'd wager that sales of CoS really went up after PeW then again after MP.

It was kind of hard for CoS to be popular at the time since folks were buying up The Captain & Tenille's Love Will Keep Us Together and other bullshit like that

Archived