Please stop bashing Rush!

Gilbertk

Ready? ok...

ranton.gif

Maybe you don't like Rush's recent material as much as their older stuff, but so what? They beauty of Rush is that they do what they want and they don't care what we think!

Yes, concert tickets are expensive, but do you really think that the massive productions the boys have put on are cheap? Do you think they only have 2 crew members?

Don't feel like paying for the tour shirt or book? Then don't!

Please stop all the whining and complaining! Tour's aren't cheap, especially at the level of Rush's shows. There are tons of crew members and each is one of the best in the business, so don't they deserve to get paid a fair amount? If you can't afford front row, then stop whining and get lawn seats.

Rush has worked hard on their new material. Maybe even harder than worked in the 70's, 80's and 90's, so for you to just sit there and demand that they do something different, or declare that it's not as good as it used to be is totally uncalled for! Like I said before, they don't care what you or anyone else thinks, they are making the music they want to make!

Declaring that you are no longer buying there music as if your opinion is the greatest out there just makes you an immature ass! If you don't want to buy the music, DON'T, but don't act as if your trying to make a statement to the band! The boys just don't care!

rantoff.gif

Thank you, that is all.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point:

That is all so true about Rush's creative style and production value.

Regarding ticket prices, [LiveNation aside, who notoriously take a huge chunk of cash per show] Rush shows sell out. That means the demand from people willing to pay the price, at the very least, meets the supply of seats. And touring is where the money is made. Rush loves performing, but there reaches a price point where it just isn't worth it. I mean, they aren't gettin any younger. Touring is hard. The boys deserve to get paid. And props to them for gettin' out there instead of simply cashing royalty checks. Cheers to them for producing fresh material for folks to enjoy instead of only a small "remember when" setlist.

Counterpoint:

This is the internet. No holds barred. While it's true that it seems like a Rush fansite is a poor choice for crapping on the band, Rush will likely never read it; and would definitely not care either way. Trolls will be trolls and morons, morons.

Counter-counterpoint

WTH are they doing posting that crap on a Rush FANSITE for godsake? They deserve whatever they get. If an internet smack-down is what does it for ya, knock yourselves out boys!!

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 4 2011, 08:55 PM)
Ready? ok...

ranton.gif

Maybe you don't like Rush's recent material as much as their older stuff, but so what?
so it's not important to you, so it shouldn't be important to others?
They beauty of Rush is that they do what they want and they don't care what we think!
so if no-one bought the album the band would  carry on regardless? You seriously believe that?

Yes, concert tickets are expensive, but do you really think that the massive productions the boys have put on are cheap? Do you think they only have 2 crew members?
Iron Maiden tickets are half the price. More band members + bigger crew too

Don't feel like paying for the tour shirt or book? Then don't!
so a tour shirt or book should be exclusive in some way? Do you feel the band should exploit its fans and their urge to collect memorabilia?

Please stop all the whining and complaining! Tour's aren't cheap, especially at the level of Rush's shows. There are tons of crew members and each is one of the best in the business, so don't they deserve to get paid a fair amount?
you know this how?
If you can't afford front row, then stop whining and get lawn seats.
will you allow me seats in the auditorium or is this an all or nothing deal?

Rush has worked hard on their new material. Maybe even harder than worked in the 70's, 80's and 90's, so for you to just sit there and demand that they do something different, or declare that it's not as good as it used to be is totally uncalled for!
well you can't know that the band has worked harder, and given that they haven't completed the album yet that statement is unlikely to be true at this moment

Like I said before, they don't care what you or anyone else thinks, they are making the music they want to make!
and like I said, if negative reaction meant reduced revenue one can reasonably assume they would care very quickly. Are you 11 year old or just very immature?

Declaring that you are no longer buying there music as if your opinion is the greatest out there just makes you an immature ass! If you don't want to buy the music, DON'T, but don't act as if your trying to make a statement to the band! The boys just don't care!

"The boys"??

Thank you, that is all.

Ummm

I don't see a lot of bashing on this site, to be honest. At least, not in the same way as I do on CP. laugh.gif

It's the internet. People b'aww about every little thing simply because they can. Welcome to 21st Century society. (;

Fair or unfair, it's going to happen and will continue to for probably as long as the 'net -- and Rush -- are around.

Some Rush is Excellent

Some Rush is Good

Some Rush is OK

Some Rush is Shit

Some Rush truly execrable garbage.

That's just the way it is. Some things will never change.

Ticket prices are excessive this tour.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Apr 4 2011, 10:15 PM)
Some Rush is Excellent
Some Rush is Good
Some Rush is OK
Some Rush is Shit
Some Rush truly execrable garbage.

That's just the way it is. Some things will never change.

Ticket prices are excessive this tour.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 4 2011, 07:55 PM)
They beauty of Rush is that they do what they want and they don't care what we think!

Well, seeing as I don't really care what they think either, it's a two way street. smile.gif

I think one of the problems is the dichotomy between Rush existing as a business and the image of Rush existing for their fans. Throughout the documentary they talk about how loyal many of their fans are, and so by charging high rates (which will be payed, as many have pointed out) it almost seems like taking advantage. Thus the integrity that the band is so renown for is called into question.

People are free to bash whatever they feel they should as a fans of the band. The have a right to voice displeasure for something Rush does. Just as you have the right to praise them for the same thing if you like it.

If someone starts a thread or says something that annoys you, don't respond to them or read anything else from them on that particular topic. It's really not that hard. I love 90 percent of what Rush has recorded but that doesn't mean there's other fans who aren't as thrilled with what they've done.

If this board was "all Rush praise all the time" it would get boring rather quickly. At least this way it gets some good discussions going and it's not the same old, same old around here.

QUOTE (zogoto @ Apr 4 2011, 06:37 PM)
I think one of the problems is the dichotomy between Rush existing as a business and the image of Rush existing for their fans. Throughout the documentary they talk about how loyal many of their fans are, and so by charging high rates (which will be payed, as many have pointed out) it almost seems like taking advantage. Thus the integrity that the band is so renown for is called into question.

Seriously, are they charging more than the current rate in merchandise? Have the ever charged less than the current rate for their merchandise? I doubt it. I don't recall 25 years ago being impressed that Rush charged less for their concert tickets or merchandise or albums.

What's the point? Since Rush has a loyal and dedicated fan base, they should charge that fan base less money for its merchandise?

I don't get this. Bash Rush, you are immature. Heck, if you enjoy everything Rush has ever put out, you are ignorant and immature. But complain about Rush and you are spoiled. No matter what something is wrong with you. Geez eh.gif

I've yet to see someone just say something like this:

Thanks Rush for nearly 40 years of great music and striving to give us your best. Sometimes you went off track and now is probably one of those times because you should've planned the tour more careful and considered Europe the first time. But there's no point on judging that, it was a human mistake. As Rush is getting older, and their legendary prog era has ended, the mistakes will grow. But what the heck, the music is still great, consisting of some intellectual emotional lyrics that many people relate to and difficult musical compositions coming from just three guys near their sixties. And then they're putting up f***ing incredible live performances.

I don't get why we can't appreciate what Rush has done while just feeling a little sad that it won't happen again; instead they'll do what they want to do, and what they want to do is not what some of us want, so respect that and deal with it. Go listen to Hemispheres. It is a masterpiece that will always be there. If you lose faith in what they're doing now, fine, the new stuff is not for you. But I don't get why we have to bitch, and I also don't get why appreciating Rush is immature.

Now somebody is going to bash me for being honest or some shit like that. eh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 4 2011, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (zogoto @ Apr 4 2011, 06:37 PM)

Seriously, are they charging more than the current rate in merchandise? Have the ever charged less than the current rate for their merchandise? I doubt it. I don't recall 25 years ago being impressed that Rush charged less for their concert tickets or merchandise or albums.

What's the point? Since Rush has a loyal and dedicated fan base, they should charge that fan base less money for its merchandise?

Hey, I'm not the one complaining (though, it may have come off that way) , I paid for my ticket and tour shirt. I'm just exploring reasons why people are complaining. Would I like it to be cheaper? Of course, but there's a lot of things I wish were cheaper, and most of them are more important than Rush.

Though, I don't know if their tour shirt prices are standard rate. Most that I can recall off the top of my head (Maiden, and a handful of other, smaller bands) had their prices at $25. The Rolling Stones, on the other hand, I've seen shirts for $40. I don't go to many stadium shows, so I don't know what the standard rate for them is.

The one thing I will bitch about is fees tacked onto the ticket prices, and those are not within Rush's control. I would just feel a lot better if tickets weren't advertised as $30, and then be charged $45. Just say $45, don't worry, I can handle it.

You should have seen this site a few years back. It was like some people were getting paid by the word to bash Rush. It was basically the same group of people that decided that everything new they did was horrible NO MATTER WHAT. I suspect they were old fogies thinking about "the good old days". This place seems to have had alot of that junk die down quite abit so maybe some of them kicked the bucket or the old arthritic fingers kicked in and they cant type anymore.

BTW-what happened to the guy who always put "Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad" on every single post? He would have posted on this thread in the first few hours in the past.

QUOTE (zogoto @ Apr 4 2011, 05:37 PM)

This may be the most honest,insightful and eloquently said post in the history of TRF.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 4 2011, 03:39 PM)
People are free to bash whatever they feel they should as a fans of the band. The have a right to voice displeasure for something Rush does. Just as you have the right to praise them for the same thing if you like it.

If someone starts a thread or says something that annoys you, don't respond to them or read anything else from them on that particular topic. It's really not that hard. I love 90 percent of what Rush has recorded but that doesn't mean there's other fans who aren't as thrilled with what they've done.

If this board was "all Rush praise all the time" it would get boring rather quickly. At least this way it gets some good discussions going and it's not the same old, same old around here.

applaudit.gif goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 4 2011, 06:39 PM)

goodpost.gif

In the spirit of this comment, I'd like to say that I will no longer be supporting Rush financially because I'm sick and tired of them recording the music that THEY want. Who do those selfish jerks think they are? They should be releasing the music WE want them to. They should just re-record feedback and throw some Miley Cyrus covers and everyone will be satisfied. wink.gif

"Live for yourself...there's no one else

More worth living for

Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more

Well, I know they've always told you

Selfishness was wrong

Yet it was for me, not you, I came to write this song"

Anthem

I love this !!!!

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 4 2011, 05:51 PM)
I don't get this. Bash Rush, you are immature. Heck, if you enjoy everything Rush has ever put out, you are ignorant and immature. But complain about Rush and you are spoiled. No matter what something is wrong with you. Geez eh.gif

Thanks Rush for nearly 40 years of great music and striving to give us your best. Sometimes you went off track and now is probably one of those times because you should've planned the tour more careful and considered Europe the first time. But there's no point on judging that, it was a human mistake. As Rush is getting older, and their legendary prog era has ended, the mistakes will grow. But what the heck, the music is still great, consisting of some intellectual emotional lyrics that many people relate to and difficult musical compositions coming from just three guys near their sixties. And then they're putting up f***ing incredible live performances.

I don't get why we can't appreciate what Rush has done while just feeling a little sad that it won't happen again; instead they'll do what they want to do, and what they want to do is not what some of us want, so respect that and deal with it. Go listen to Hemispheres. It is a masterpiece that will always be there. If you lose faith in what they're doing now, fine, the new stuff is not for you. But I don't get why we have to bitch, and I also don't get why appreciating Rush is immature.

Now somebody is going to bash me for being honest or some shit like that. eh.gif

It's not the disliking that makes someone immature. It's feeling the need to openly bash them and whine about things that are out of the band's hands (such as ticket prices) that makes them immature.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 4 2011, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 4 2011, 05:51 PM)
I don't get this. Bash Rush, you are immature. Heck, if you enjoy everything Rush has ever put out, you are ignorant and immature. But complain about Rush and you are spoiled. No matter what something is wrong with you. Geez  eh.gif

Now somebody is going to bash me for being honest or some shit like that.    eh.gif

It's not the disliking that makes someone immature. It's feeling the need to openly bash them and whine about things that are out of the band's hands (such as ticket prices) that makes them immature.

That's what I meant, and it's perfectly fine to say you dislike something rush has done, and gasp...even discuss it ohmy.gif

But to bash them and say they are unoriginal and money-grabbing whores and hypocrites...heat the hell are you doing here then? And yes, I have seen it get that bad. Of course, i think it's a bit silly to listen to nothing but rush and worship them (and I think it's silly to do that with any band. I joke around and talk about how rush are gods and even created a rake rush religion thread for fun. But that's just a joke. Some people, I've noticed, listen to nothing but rush and are so obsessed that they only allow rush to shape their minds...that's crazy, since rush is about shaping your own mind anyway.

So yes, you people who think it is impossible to appreciate everything rush has done and honestly enjoy every rush song, sorry, but you are 100% wrong because i know for a fact that I truly enjoy every track on every album. I love music and I love rush, but i don't obsess over them to the point where they are all I play and i do absolutely nothing else but listen to them.

Archived