Greatest book you've ever read?

Good,bad,andrush

I've read this one 6 times. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QJG0HXGML._SY300_.jpg

Have you also read "Everybody Poops"?

Red Water: Judith Freeman

No Man Knows My History: Fawn Brodie

And not a novel but a collection of short stories that has become my most treasured book: The Morrow Anthology of Great Western Short Stories.

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. Though I'd read the Hobbit and LoTR when I was young, I didn't read the Sil until my early 20s. Wihle I loved The Hobbit as a kid, and liked the LoTR while not being enthralled (I liked the world it inhabited more than the literary style), I was completely swept away by the scope and mythological vision of the Sil. Very dark and tragic compared to the others, but also achingly beautiful. I needed "Guide to Middle Earth" within arms reach the first time I read the Sil though (the Sil's glossary helps, but GtME really helps makes sense of the confusing names -- people, places, events, until you get a handle on them yourself).

For a proper novel, it would be A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller. For short stories, R is for Rocket by the master, Ray Bradbury. Non-fiction I'd have to give some thought.

American novel: East Of Eden, by John Steinbeck

European novel: Le Rouge Et Le Noir (The Red And The Black), by Stendahl

Science Fiction: Dune, by Frank Herbert

Satire/Comedy: The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

Non-Fiction: The Trial Of Madame Caillaux, by Edward Berenson

• Like 1

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. Though I'd read the Hobbit and LoTR when I was young, I didn't read the Sil until my early 20s. Wihle I loved The Hobbit as a kid, and liked the LoTR while not being enthralled (I liked the world it inhabited more than the literary style), I was completely swept away by the scope and mythological vision of the Sil. Very dark and tragic compared to the others, but also achingly beautiful. I needed "Guide to Middle Earth" within arms reach the first time I read the Sil though (the Sil's glossary helps, but GtME really helps makes sense of the confusing names -- people, places, events, until you get a handle on them yourself).

For a proper novel, it would be A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller. For short stories, R is for Rocket by the master, Ray Bradbury. Non-fiction I'd have to give some thought.

To round out the list, for non-fiction my favorite is "The Passion of the Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas That Have Shaped Our World View" by RIchard Tarnas. Best intellectual history in a concise package I've read. If one volume brevity isn't a concern, the nine volume A History of Philosophy by Frederick Copleston S.J. is the way to go.

Since some are listing by genres, I'll add my three co-favorites from my favorite genre, social satire: A Confederacy of Dunces, Pierre Boule's Monkey Planet (Planet of the Apes), and K. Vonnegut Jr's Sirens of Titan.

Edited by Rutlefan

I've never read the hard copy, but I have enjoyed your narration. Nice job, especially, on the sound effects (though you might want to do something about the mix, sometimes the sound effects drown out the narrative.)

IT by Stephen King

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is close second.

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who thinks IT is a fantastic novel. :ebert:

Have you also read "Everybody Poops"?

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash3/s160x160/250151_227446890600342_4750370_a.jpg My favorite poop book. In German, "About the Little Mole, Who Wanted to Know, Who Had Done This On His Head". Translated to "The Story of the Little Mole Who Went In Search of Whodunnit". As he interviews a variety of animals, they prove their innocence by showing us how they poop. Pigs, cows, goats, rabbits, each with a different sound effect, from a simple "plop!" to a musical "schupdiwup!". Great book! Video version:

Memoirs Of A Geisha immediately came to mind. I was around 12, I think, when I read it and devoured it in 2 days. Love that book.

ALSO- it's an easy read, but I love Animal Farm. To Kill A Mockingbird was great, too (at least to me).
  • Like 1

Dune - Frank Herbert

Demian - Hermann Hesse

It - Stephen King

The Fool On The Hill - Matt Ruff

The Black Book - Giovanni Papini