Greatest book you've ever read?

Good,bad,andrush

and speaking of my beloved kate, I've never read wuthering heights either :(

I love her too. Was listening to Hounds of Love in the car not two hours ago. You should read Wuthering Heights. It's bleak but marvelous. If you want a VERY good film adaptation of it check out the Ralph Fiennes/Juliette Binoche project. Wonderful stuff.

dude I'm obsessed with kate bush, I'm responsible for anyone in my town liking her since I've shoved her down everybody's throat

I've got the kick inside, never for ever, the dreaming and hounds of love on vinyl, I'm a member of 2 of her fan forums (one I actually post on, the other I just joined so I could see a bunch of hot pictures of her), I'm just so into her

Damn, that's fantastic. I have everything she's ever done, the older stuff on vinyl. I started my obsession when Hounds came out. I wanted to be her for years. She is utterly amazing. Do you know her story beyond the music?

I think we're hijacking the thread over Kate. Back to the books.

How about the Beat Generation? Jack Kerouac. Any takers there?

• Like 1

and speaking of my beloved kate, I've never read wuthering heights either :(

I love her too. Was listening to Hounds of Love in the car not two hours ago. You should read Wuthering Heights. It's bleak but marvelous. If you want a VERY good film adaptation of it check out the Ralph Fiennes/Juliette Binoche project. Wonderful stuff.

dude I'm obsessed with kate bush, I'm responsible for anyone in my town liking her since I've shoved her down everybody's throat

I've got the kick inside, never for ever, the dreaming and hounds of love on vinyl, I'm a member of 2 of her fan forums (one I actually post on, the other I just joined so I could see a bunch of hot pictures of her), I'm just so into her

Damn, that's fantastic. I have everything she's ever done, the older stuff on vinyl. I started my obsession when Hounds came out. I wanted to be her for years. She is utterly amazing. Do you know her story beyond the music?

dude if I could be a chick it'd definitely be kate

but yeah I know plenty of obscure facts about her, can name a lot of the bush family, know about her mom dying and her break-up with del palmer which is probably why the red shoes was such a mediocre album, I've read every single interview on gaffaweb, I'm a f***ing freak :)

• Like 1

sad to say I read on the road and was just totally bored

I dig the parts with old bull lee because I actually like william burroughs, to me he's way more exciting than kerouac

• Like 1

sad to say I read on the road and was just totally bored

I dig the parts with old bull lee because I actually like william burroughs, to me he's way more exciting than kerouac

That's great that you know her that well. So do I. Very few folks know the reason behind The Red Shoes being so "off."

On the Road is pretty chaotic. I was telling someone yesterday that Dharma Bums was the better book.

Burroughs is totally messed up! Have you read any of his things?

• Like 1

yeah I read naked lunch, didn't get what it was about but really enjoyed certain parts and had a fun time rereading things just because they were so "what-the-f**k"

also read junky which is much easier, good read about doing heroin

• Like 1

no I mean I'm 17 and I don't feel like rushing through the sound and the fury, not understanding it, and then bragging to everyone I come into contact with about how I read the sound and the fury and TOTALLY GOT IT to show how I smart I am

I decided a while back I'd never be one of those people who skims through ulysses when they're as old as me and try to act like it's not hard to understand just to seem smart

I definitely challenge myself but I'm just not in the mood for anything too hard on the brain right now since I just recently read a few dostoevsky books

Don't just read books you think will only reaffirm your current worldview, read books you feel will challenge it.

Just some unsolicited advice.

Edited by substancewithoutstyle
  • Like 1

no I mean I'm 17 and I don't feel like rushing through the sound and the fury, not understanding it, and then bragging to everyone I come into contact with about how I read the sound and the fury and TOTALLY GOT IT to show how I smart I am

I decided a while back I'd never be one of those people who skims through ulysses when they're as old as me and try to act like it's not hard to understand just to seem smart

I definitely challenge myself but I'm just not in the mood for anything too hard on the brain right now since I just recently read a few dostoevsky books

Don't just read books you think will only reaffirm your current worldview, read books you feel will challenge it.

Just some unsolicited advice.

I couldn't agree more. Books are food for your brain. The brain craves variety -- give it that variety and it will serve you well, gratefully!!

well I give it variety and I give it challenges but there's no point in wasting time reading something I'm too young and not nearly well-read enough to understand, like sound and the fury, ulysses, etc
  • Like 1

Spirituality:

The Way Out Book - John-Roger

Relationships: The Art of Making Life Work - John-Roger

Initiation - Elisabeth Haich

Illusions - Richard Bach

Out On A Limb - Shirley MacLaine

Siddhartha - Herman Hesse

Science-Fiction / Fantasy:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkein

The Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling

Nine Hundred Grandmothers - R.A. Lafferty

Replay - Ken Grimwood

The Best of Robert Silverberg - Robert Silverberg

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke

Dune - Frank Herbert

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein

More Than Human - Theodore Sturgeon

You aren't a real reader of books until you've chucked a couple about the room.

i read the entire series of carlos castaneda books when i was a teenager. a few years later i read them again, including a subsequent one that had been published in the interim. something in it pissed me off (let's just say i disagreed with what was written) and i threw it across the room in disgust. never read those books again, but i did learn a lot from them at the time...

• Like 1

i read the entire series of carlos castaneda books when i was a teenager. a few years later i read them again, including a subsequent one that had been published in the interim. something in it pissed me off (let's just say i disagreed with what was written) and i threw it across the room in disgust. never read those books again, but i did learn a lot from them at the time...

Well, well, well if isn't Rushgoober in the book section, looking for beatnik book threads are we? :P

Ok, I'll add my two cents:

Dispossessed by Ursula LeGuin

Fionavar Trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

Scarlet Pimpernel by C. Orczy

Of course I would agree on LOTR, Farenheit 451 and others but I wanted to add some I have read recently. Kay's trilogy is as good as LOTR IMHO

• Like 1

I have chucked a bunch. One of them was the first Lord of the Rings book.

It's a GOOD book probably even a great book. I read the hobbit and loved it. The Lord of the Rings series is definitely good, but I find that they're incredibly overrated. People talk about these the series like it's the Led Zeppelin IV or Abbey Road of literature. They're not for everyone because of how incredibly drawn out some parts feel. If you enjoy fantasy, sure then it's the best in the genre by a landslide but in my eyes the series has it's moments (the second book/movie lives up to the hype) but the series as a whole does not do anything for me. Then again, I was never bothered to finished reading Return of the King. Great books, but they don't crack my top 10 (except the Hobbit).

EDIT: original post was harsher than intended

Edited by USB Connector

yeah I get what you mean, but even for fantasy fans it can be a struggle, especially modern fantasy fans

tolkien was making norse sagas and german and english folktales accessible, and then guys like robert jordan and terry brooks came along and dumbed down what was already accessible, so there's a good many newer fantasy fans who just cant get into tolkien

I'm not sure if you just called me a modern fantasy fan who likes things dumbed down......I actually don't like fantasy in general. Old German folktales/epics are really neat (haven't read many but I enjoyed the few I have), but fantasy in our media just doesn't really appeal to me as much as scifi does. Then again, I did really enjoy those two games of D&D I played with random people at school a while back...

I do think it's a bit lame to write off entire genres though, there's plenty of fantasy out there which would appeal to someone who isnt a big LOTR fan

people like ursula k le guin, michael moorcock, etc know how to write fantasy that non-fantasy fans can enjoy

• Like 1

I do think it's a bit lame to write off entire genres though, there's plenty of fantasy out there which would appeal to someone who isnt a big LOTR fan

people like ursula k le guin, michael moorcock, etc know how to write fantasy that non-fantasy fans can enjoy

Good on you for throwing Michael Moorcock in there! He's great!

• Like 2

Anyone else read Patricia Kennealy-Morrison's amazing scifi/fantasy books?
  • Like 1