Greatest book you've ever read?

Good,bad,andrush

You aren't a real reader of books until you've chucked a couple about the room.

I've hurled a few. Every time I read 1984 it hits the wall a few seconds after I finish it.

At least you finish it.

• Like 1

no I mean I'm 17 and I don't feel like rushing through the sound and the fury, not understanding it, and then bragging to everyone I come into contact with about how I read the sound and the fury and TOTALLY GOT IT to show how I smart I am

I decided a while back I'd never be one of those people who skims through ulysses when they're as old as me and try to act like it's not hard to understand just to seem smart

I definitely challenge myself but I'm just not in the mood for anything too hard on the brain right now since I just recently read a few dostoevsky books

Finally! Someone who recognizes the fact that Ulysses is not the lighthearted academic people make it out to be. For the record, I HATE James Joyce. We've had some bad experiences, and they've left permanent scars.

I'm not saying ulysses is good or bad, I'm just saying I'm gonna wait til I'm a bit smarter before I try and tackle it because there's no point in reading something just to say you've read it. the point of reading is to get something out of what you're reading, and I know too many people who try to read the hard shit at a young age just to say they have

Well, I am saying it's bad. If a giant asteroid came and hit the earth and destroyed every copy of Ulysses, it would not be a great loss to the world.

well what's so bad about it - the fact that it's hard? I'm not trying to start shit, I'm just wondering why you didn't like it

It's not at all that it's difficult. The thing that I didn't like about it is Joyce's writing style. He makes a lot of obscure references that only he knew about, which seems childish to me. No one doubts his intelligence, but he didn't have to make all of these vague references to prove it. Also, it's extremely lengthy and jumps around significantly. There is not much in terms of a plot, it's in the stream of consciousness vein. Finally, the ending is one of those "brief moment" epiphanies, which work sometimes, but here it just seems like the last ramblings of a disorganized book, so it didn't really work for me. Again, just my opinion. :)

• Like 1

You aren't a real reader of books until you've chucked a couple about the room.

I've hurled a few. Every time I read 1984 it hits the wall a few seconds after I finish it.

oh well that's different

no one would ever agree on a book to read - and most people here only seem to read goddamn KISS biographies, so yeah might be hard to do

Hahaha! KISS bios! That's hilarious. I bet we could agree on something. If we did it with some structure and let people nominate books on a certain day or something, and then let everyone who wanted to participate vote on the book, it might work. I've run bunches of book clubs and book groups and there are ways to do it in democratic fashion and still accomplish it. You just need someone to actually run the book club and be responsible about keeping things in line and on schedule.

Were any of them on an internet forum?

Did a few on a blog while the group was discussing it so that others who were at remote locations could participate.

no I mean I'm 17 and I don't feel like rushing through the sound and the fury, not understanding it, and then bragging to everyone I come into contact with about how I read the sound and the fury and TOTALLY GOT IT to show how I smart I am

I decided a while back I'd never be one of those people who skims through ulysses when they're as old as me and try to act like it's not hard to understand just to seem smart

I definitely challenge myself but I'm just not in the mood for anything too hard on the brain right now since I just recently read a few dostoevsky books

Finally! Someone who recognizes the fact that Ulysses is not the lighthearted academic people make it out to be. For the record, I HATE James Joyce. We've had some bad experiences, and they've left permanent scars.

I'm not saying ulysses is good or bad, I'm just saying I'm gonna wait til I'm a bit smarter before I try and tackle it because there's no point in reading something just to say you've read it. the point of reading is to get something out of what you're reading, and I know too many people who try to read the hard shit at a young age just to say they have

Well, I am saying it's bad. If a giant asteroid came and hit the earth and destroyed every copy of Ulysses, it would not be a great loss to the world.

well what's so bad about it - the fact that it's hard? I'm not trying to start shit, I'm just wondering why you didn't like it

It's not at all that it's difficult. The thing that I didn't like about it is Joyce's writing style. He makes a lot of obscure references that only he knew about, which seems childish to me. No one doubts his intelligence, but he didn't have to make all of these vague references to prove it. Also, it's extremely lengthy and jumps around significantly. There is not much in terms of a plot, it's in the stream of consciousness vein. Finally, the ending is one of those "brief moment" epiphanies, which work sometimes, but here it just seems like the last ramblings of a disorganized book, so it didn't really work for me. Again, just my opinion. :)

yeah I mean I've never read it, all I know about it is there's this kate bush song I really like that's based off of it and that's why I wanted to read it to begin with

• Like 2

I'm afraid to ask what you think about Finnegans Wake. :LOL:

Thankfully I have not read that. But I have read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Dubliners. The latter I didn't mind so much, reminded me a bit of an Irish Raymond Carver.

• Like 1

I'm no fan of Ulysses but I've read it. I actually prefer his shorter works. The Dead is really pretty great.

yeah I mean I've never read it, all I know about it is there's this kate bush song I really like that's based off of it and that's why I wanted to read it to begin with

YAY, a fellow Kate Bush fan!!!!

yeah I was talking about the sensual world

Exactly! Nice!!

and speaking of my beloved kate, I've never read wuthering heights either :(

I love her too. Was listening to Hounds of Love in the car not two hours ago. You should read Wuthering Heights. It's bleak but marvelous. If you want a VERY good film adaptation of it check out the Ralph Fiennes/Juliette Binoche project. Wonderful stuff.

and speaking of my beloved kate, I've never read wuthering heights either :(

I love her too. Was listening to Hounds of Love in the car not two hours ago. You should read Wuthering Heights. It's bleak but marvelous. If you want a VERY good film adaptation of it check out the Ralph Fiennes/Juliette Binoche project. Wonderful stuff.

dude I'm obsessed with kate bush, I'm responsible for anyone in my town liking her since I've shoved her down everybody's throat

I've got the kick inside, never for ever, the dreaming and hounds of love on vinyl, I'm a member of 2 of her fan forums (one I actually post on, the other I just joined so I could see a bunch of hot pictures of her), I'm just so into her

Edited by bathory
  • Like 1