The most overrated bands

Akron162

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 7 2011, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 7 2011, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Mar 7 2011, 11:05 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 7 2011, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Mar 7 2011, 01:23 AM)
Kansas.

cool10.gif

x2

x3

You lot think Kansas are overrated?

wacko.gif

yeah I dont ever recall much being said about them other than that they were a very good band back in the 70's. And they were really good

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 7 2011, 05:42 PM)
Kansas.

cool10.gif

x2

x3

wacko.gif

yeah I dont ever recall much being said about them other than that they were a very good band back in the 70's. And they were really good

I know.

Most general music fans think Kansas are Dust in the Wind and Carry on Wayward Son and that's it, that sounds like underrated to me...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 7 2011, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 7 2011, 05:42 PM)
Kansas.

cool10.gif

x2

x3

wacko.gif

I know.

Most general music fans think Kansas are Dust in the Wind and Carry on Wayward Son and that's it, that sounds like underrated to me...

The Devil Game off Song For America is one of the most amazing songs

A band that's largely forgotten has a difficult time being considered overrated (in my repsectful disagreement). biggrin.gif I like Kansas, although I don't love them or know too much of them outside their most popular tunes from 30 years ago. But I'd have to search around a bit to find people who are really, really into them at this point.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 8 2011, 09:18 AM)
A band that's largely forgotten has a difficult time being considered overrated (in my repsectful disagreement). biggrin.gif I like Kansas, although I don't love them or know too much of them outside their most popular tunes from 30 years ago. But I'd have to search around a bit to find people who are really, really into them at this point.

The above song I mentioned muight change yer view on them..I highly recommend it

Nirvana, or more specifically, Kurt Cobain - The fact that he constantly pops up on these "greatest guitarists" lists offends me greatly. The general music public knew of them for 3 years. Yeah, they were the poster boys for grunge. But, they weren't that good. Give me The Foo Fighters any day!

The Doors. Doors = doped-up ramblings + cheesy keyboard line + average drums and guitar

AC/DC. I can listen to them every once in a while. However, within 2 bass drum beats, you know it's them because every song sounds the same. And, can a band be any more overplayed than them?!? I don't think it's possible.

Coldplay. U2-lite. And, nowhere near as good. That's coming from someone who's not a U2 fan.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 3 2011, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Feb 28 2011, 11:27 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Mar 1 2011, 04:34 PM)
who, indeed... wink.gif

As in it's pointless...

Roger that.. If people don't understand the masterpieces Bob or the Beach Boys have crafted, why bother.

fellas...

that which does not exist can only be debated theoretically

Kansas.

cool10.gif

x2

x3

wacko.gif

no.gif disagree

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Mar 8 2011, 02:01 PM)
Nirvana, or more specifically, Kurt Cobain - The fact that he constantly pops up on these "greatest guitarists" lists offends me greatly. The general music public knew of them for 3 years. Yeah, they were the poster boys for grunge. But, they weren't that good. Give me The Foo Fighters any day!

The reason why Kurt makes those lists is because of the morons who work at magazines like Rolling Stone and fabricate that BS.

However...with that said, I still think Nirvana is great. Sure, they aren't as technically sound as our favourite prog bands, nor did they have supreme chops.

BUT...that was never their agenda. They wanted to carve their own legacy, and do their own thing, and whether people like it or not, they did and it worked. In a way, they were the voice of the 90's.

Their music had energy, anger, and raw emotion. People may dislike them, but their influence can't be ignored.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 8 2011, 02:19 PM)
Nirvana, or more specifically, Kurt Cobain - The fact that he constantly pops up on these "greatest guitarists" lists offends me greatly.  The general music public knew of them for 3 years.  Yeah, they were the poster boys for grunge.  But, they weren't that good.  Give me The Foo Fighters any day!

The reason why Kurt makes those lists is because of the morons who work at magazines like Rolling Stone and fabricate that BS.

However...with that said, I still think Nirvana is great. Sure, they aren't as technically sound as our favourite prog bands, nor did they have supreme chops.

BUT...that was never their agenda. They wanted to carve their own legacy, and do their own thing, and whether people like it or not, they did and it worked. In a way, they were the voice of the 90's.

Their music had energy, anger, and raw emotion. People may dislike them, but their influence can't be ignored.

I agree with this.

I think Kurt is an overrated guitarist, but he definitely is an important person in the world of Rock. And Nirvana is just a pure burst of energy. Nowhere near the best, but just good hard-rocking stuff.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 8 2011, 02:19 PM)
Nirvana, or more specifically, Kurt Cobain - The fact that he constantly pops up on these "greatest guitarists" lists offends me greatly.  The general music public knew of them for 3 years.  Yeah, they were the poster boys for grunge.  But, they weren't that good.  Give me The Foo Fighters any day!

heh, Ive been ignoring their influence for like 20 years now.

if they changed anything it was MTV and commercial radio. It was the industry that pushed them to be the next big thing, after ignoring punk and metal for years at that point. they said metal is dead, grunge is the rage now...blah blah. Meanwhile Pantera, SLayer, Anthrax, Fear Factory, Priest, Overkill, Queensryche, and many more were selling out clubs and stadiums, selling records and touring the world. With like no industry support at all. They tried to sell it, it worked for a few years. Metal is still here and bigger ever, where is grunge now?

Oddly enough, I think what help drive Kurt nuts was the industry doing to him and the band exactly what they hated the whole music biz for. His "rage against the machine" was stolen from them, marketed like McDonalds, and sold to millions of kids as "underground", poor guy got pimped

QUOTE (tjtull @ Mar 8 2011, 11:39 AM)
Kansas.

cool10.gif

x2

x3

wacko.gif

no.gif disagree

Where and when have they been rated so highly?

I feel they are underrated! cool.gif

QUOTE (umoveme @ Mar 8 2011, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Mar 8 2011, 11:39 AM)
Kansas.

cool10.gif

x2

x3

wacko.gif

no.gif disagree

Where and when have they been rated so highly?

I feel they are underrated! cool.gif

I'm not a big Kansas fan, but I would definitely categorize them as underrated. They had some kick ass songs and I never realized how proggy they were, since I was only familiar with their radio hits. "Carry On Wayward Son" is pretty intense, even though I heard it a million times.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 27 2011, 10:11 PM)
Kings of Leon

John Mayer

And apparently a lot of my HS classmates like The Killers. But I have not really heard their music. I don't even know what genre they play.

Thanx! U saved me time. These two I don't get. I do have a deep fondness for the beatles but my respect and appreciation took decades. As a young drummer I viewed Ringo as a boring slacker but if you look at what the band/songs needed he was the perfect dr ummer.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Mar 9 2011, 11:30 AM)
Kings of Leon

John Mayer

And apparently a lot of my HS classmates like The Killers. But I have not really heard their music. I don't even know what genre they play.

Thanx! U saved me time. These two I don't get. I do have a deep fondness for the beatles but my respect and appreciation took decades. As a young drummer I viewed Ringo as a boring slacker but if you look at what the band/songs needed he was the perfect dr ummer.

Ringo was *perfect* for the Beatles, no question. I've never viewed him as a 'boring slacker', no fricken way. Holy craps!! ohmy.gif I haven't a clue about his his work outside of the Fab 4 though.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Mar 8 2011, 05:50 PM)
Kings of Leon

John Mayer

Ringo was *perfect* for the Beatles, no question. I've never viewed him as a 'boring slacker', no fricken way. Holy craps!! ohmy.gif I haven't a clue about his his work outside of the Fab 4 though.

He basically drummed on several solo Beatles albums and on some Yoko Ono albums. He released several decent solo albums and A LOT of bad ones. He appeared in several movies. And married Barbara Bach! His career is being Ringo. I wish I was Ringo. laugh.gif

Definitely Phish! I can't stand how much they play on the Jam On Channel on XM...they are nothing but Dead wanna be's and their music is BORING!

I don't have a problem with the Beatles...If you REALLY dig into what they were doing at the time they were DOING it, you would appreciate, if anything, their contribution to modern recording!

Globally....most artists that are "popular" today are grossly overrated due to the cookie cutter sound, they have...everything sounds like the same canned keyboards, and drums, not to mention the vocal "enhancements". Give me a live band any day!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 9 2011, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Mar 8 2011, 05:50 PM)
Kings of Leon

John Mayer

He basically drummed on several solo Beatles albums and on some Yoko Ono albums. He released several decent solo albums and A LOT of bad ones. He appeared in several movies. And married Barbara Bach! His career is being Ringo. I wish I was Ringo. laugh.gif

Aye, can't be bad 653.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Mar 8 2011, 06:57 PM)
Definitely Phish! I can't stand how much they play on the Jam On Channel on XM...they are nothing but Dead wanna be's and their music is BORING!

I don't have a problem with the Beatles...If you REALLY dig into what they were doing at the time they were DOING it, you would appreciate, if anything, their contribution to modern recording!

Globally....most artists that are "popular" today are grossly overrated due to the cookie cutter sound, they have...everything sounds like the same canned keyboards, and drums, not to mention the vocal "enhancements". Give me a live band any day!

Tmd's perception of phish:

"Hey guys, the grateful dead made a shitload of cash. Let's do the same!" applaudit.gif