The most overrated bands

Akron162

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Mar 7 2011, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 7 2011, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Mar 7 2011, 01:23 AM)
Kansas.

cool10.gif

x2

x3

http://sa.illuzionz.org/avatar/reaper/beebrains-bong.gif

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 27 2011, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 27 2011, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 28 2011, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 27 2011, 08:16 PM)
Anyone who thinks that The Beatled are over-rated is an ignorant moron. I don't even like them much but their influence on modern pop and rock music has been immense.

Good if they were influential, but all the bands who came later an were "influenced" were better than them.

You've made a wholly subjective (and fatuous) reply to my stated fact, what was the point of that?

All the bands who came after The Beatles were superior to them.

eyesre4.gif

Theres no point really, the Beattles just suck.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they suck...Now, the Doors, they are amazingly overrated, I mean, the Lizard King? WTF?

QUOTE (youngoldman @ Mar 17 2011, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 27 2011, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 27 2011, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 28 2011, 01:20 AM)
Anyone who thinks that The Beatled are over-rated is an ignorant moron. I don't even like them much but their influence on modern pop and rock music has been immense.

Good if they were influential, but all the bands who came later an were "influenced" were better than them.

You've made a wholly subjective (and fatuous) reply to my stated fact, what was the point of that?

All the bands who came after The Beatles were superior to them.

eyesre4.gif

Theres no point really, the Beattles just suck.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they suck...Now, the Doors, they are amazingly overrated, I mean, the Lizard King? WTF?

The Beatles are my favorite band. With that said, I totally understand why they are not everyone's favorite band. There's a lot of good music out there. But to say they suck, well, did you really listen to the songs. There are so many good ones.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 27 2011, 09:20 PM)

Keep smoking.

Anyhow, a thread like this is pointless when what it really is, is just, bands you don't personally like. A band who has a had a greater influence on rock music then any other can't really be overrated. Now whether you like them or not is another story.

Popular bands I can't stand would include...

Def Leppard

Bon Jovi

The Grateful Dead

To me their overrated because I don't like them at all and they are very popular so for me..... Overrated. It really all is in the eye of the beholder and thus holds no real merit.

Edited by tick

The Rolling Stones. Please. This group is some average garage band. Way to much hype about this band through the decades. They have huge stages with millions of lights for lame classic rock tunes. Some of the stuff is very good but it's just... meh

Sometimes I prefer underrated and under-the-radar. Lots of bands get ruined when the pop scene picks up on them. It becomes all about pleasing the masses and keeping the gravy train rolling and the contracts renewed.

REM comes to mind. They were a hell of a lot better when they were Mitch Easter's little indie band on IRS records. Then they got the big contract, Stipe cleared his throat prior to going into the studio, and they started to suck like an Electrolux.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Mar 18 2011, 05:58 PM)
re: Dream Theater

Anybody I know that listens to them seems to think they are the epitome of musical greatness.

Find new people who listen to Dream Theater then. They aren't the epitome of musical talent, but they're still pretty talented.

Overrated bands according to the gospel of Oracle:

Nickleback

Pearl Jam

The Grateful Dead

Phish

These are the four bands I tend to avoid whenever possible. However, I will admit that a good portion of the music I listen to is overrated. Also, ITT: People who are unwilling to admit what they like is overrated.

Anybody I know that listens to [insert any prog band's name here] seems to think they are the epitome of musical greatness.

DT is probably my favorite band. However, they are not the "be-all, end-all" of music. Plus, I certainly appreciate a lot of other bands from many different genres. They, just tend to have very passionate fan(atic)s.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Mar 18 2011, 07:17 PM)

Anybody I know that listens to them seems to think they are the epitome of musical greatness.

Find new people who listen to Dream Theater then. They aren't the epitome of musical talent, but they're still pretty talented.

Nickleback

Pearl Jam

The Grateful Dead

Phish

These are the four bands I tend to avoid whenever possible. However, I will admit that a good portion of the music I listen to is overrated. Also, ITT: People who are unwilling to admit what they like is overrated.

I don't think anyone on this board will argue with you about Nickleback. Pearl Jam is another of those bands I never really "got" either. Another one of those grunge bands that just happened to last.

Has anyone mentioned The Dave Matthews Band yet? Can't stand 'em, and from what I can tell, they have one slow song, one fast song, and several variations of the two to make up a catalogue of music.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 18 2011, 07:31 PM)

Nickleback

Pearl Jam

The Grateful Dead

Phish

I don't think anyone on this board will argue with you about Nickleback. Pearl Jam is another of those bands I never really "got" either. Another one of those grunge bands that just happened to last.

Has anyone mentioned The Dave Matthews Band yet? Can't stand 'em, and from what I can tell, they have one slow song, one fast song, and several variations of the two to make up a catalogue of music.

I don't mind the grunge genre at all save for the angsty teenager "boo hoo I'm so sad" lyrics. Pearl Jam never really faded away though.

I agree with the Dave Matthews Band. My dad is so into them that I just go nuts when he starts playing any of their music. Some things are better left unsaid (in this case, unplayed).

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Mar 18 2011, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Mar 18 2011, 05:35 PM)
Dream Theater.

x6

No one but f***ing prog nerds even know who they are, so no.

Nice try. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Mar 18 2011, 06:58 PM)

They are...duh?

Also, ITT: People who are unwilling to admit what they like is overrated.

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 27 2011, 09:30 PM)

Men of course, i'm trolling. you think i dont know how big were the Beatles? I just think their music is too simple, and if music don't make me really use my brain i dont like it.

Congratulations on missing the entire point of music. They don't make you use your brain enough? Uh, music is about heart, feelings and emotions.

Your opinions on both U2 and The Beatles are completely terrible. But considering that all of the bands you listed as favorites are prog bands, you are probably just another prog snob who thinks every other kind of genre is way beneath prog.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Mar 19 2011, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Feb 27 2011, 09:30 PM)

Men of course, i'm trolling. you think i dont know how big were the Beatles? I just think their music is too simple, and if music don't make me really use my brain i dont like it.

Congratulations on missing the entire point of music. They don't make you use your brain enough? Uh, music is about heart, feelings and emotions.

Your opinions on both U2 and The Beatles are completely terrible. But considering that all of the bands you listed as favorites are prog bands, you are probably just another prog snob who thinks every other kind of genre is way beneath prog.

Peter Gabriel had a great response to what makes a good song/music:

"One that makes you think, one that makes you feel, and also makes you move as well."

I love that quote.

If this thread goes on long enough, every band that ever took up instruments will be listed by the folks who participate in it...

That being said, I must repoint out for those that have not been arsed to read the whole thing and just jumped in:

Listen to White Stripes. Jam knitting needles in your ear so you will never risk hearing it again.