Time for Alex & Geddy to "assume control"

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (briremo @ Jan 25 2011, 12:22 PM)
I more prefer the 'Party on Wayne" to the "Tonight we'll explore the
idiocy of theology because I'm much smarter than you".

Why? So they can be like every other band in the 70s & 80's?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to me that Neil has ALWAYS more-or-less dictated the lyrical direction of Rush's music, and that G&A have either gone along with it or made adjustments to better suit them (i.e. Geddy working with Neil since he's the one singing the songs!). It has ALWAYS been this way.

So... let me get this straight. This is somehow a problem now because some of you are unhappy with the lyrical direction Neil's taken since coming back in 2002?

Interesting......

Can't please everyone.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jan 26 2011, 04:35 PM)
The "Watchmaker" could represent any being or person in power or control over others. I wouldn't be surprised if there's going to be a song on the album called "the Watchmaker". We will see...

i heard he's going to dedicate the song to richard dawkins. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jan 26 2011, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 26 2011, 01:28 PM)
he's telling people "if you believe in God, you're a deluded moron".

Where exactly does Neil say that people are "deluded morons" because he doesn't believe in the Christian god??

Yeah, I don't see this either.

Some people simply cannot stand to have their beliefs questioned. Someone posted a couple pages ago (I'm sorry, I forgot who) that it is not atheists who are fearful of questioning but "true believers." This is how it's always been in my experience. And, yes, I have the bona fides to make this call. So if a song lyric is threatening to you, either don't listen or take the opportunity to do some deep thinking about your own beliefs.

The reason why these threads devolve into slapping matches is that, along the line, someone always says something like, "You are a victim of your own thinking." That's insulting - no two ways about it. It says to everyone else "I am the only person who has any ability to discern what is actually true and everyone else is just spinning their wheels." To those of us who actually HAVE done much thinking (and study and training) in theological theory and practice it is tantamount to telling us that we are low grade morons.

If we can discuss Neil's lyrics (and the possibility that Ged and Al are brainwashed slaves under the Mighty Neil's thumb) without stooping to insulting everyone else (nevermind that it's insulting to all three members of a band we all profess to be fans of), then let's do so. If not, then let the Mods move this to SOCN and allow it to inevitably dissolve into another poo-flinging match.

As for me, I'm done here. I take Neil's lyrics as his own feelings and thoughts and beliefs and don't take them personally. I am, in fact NOT Faithless but I do love the song's sentiment: hope and love is what all good religion should provide and if one has them, then all else is semantics.

dang, I really should start reading Neil's lyrics more closely... I never realized he is so profound. I've always just listened to Geddy try to sing all those words into a melody and never really delved so deeply into meaning and how my interpretation relates to me and/or the band's identity... as do some fans, it seems.

Are Neil's lyrics *really* so important to RUSH's essence as a band?

I really just dig RUSH's sound and creativity and uniqueness... I don't really care so much what words Neil scribes for Geddy to sing so long as Geddy still has interest in singing and Alex shares his far out awesome talents with guitars. oh, and let's not forget Neil's acumen as a drummer smile.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 26 2011, 03:13 PM)
It should be obvious that A&G have their hands tied with Neil, but they're only happy just as long as he doesn't pull the plug on Rush, inc.  Imo, Rush is being run into the ground artistically/musically by a domineering Neil Peart and his newer philosophical agenda.  Before 2000, the relationship was largely symbiotic between the three, but now he has passively/indirectly hijacked the group and taken A&G (and we fans) hostage, "forcefully" (and more importantly) repetitively subjecting us to his philosophie du jour

Again, for the record, this is not a religion-based opinion!

http://www.prepresspilgrim.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/picard-facepalm.jpg

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jan 26 2011, 05:26 PM)
8 pages ago... unsure.gif

6 pages ago: ohmy.gif

4 pages ago: popcorn.gif

2 pages ago: schla03.gif

now: b_sigh.gif

hahaha, know what ya mean wacko.gif

Well, I have it on good authority that Geddy and Alex actually did talk to Neil and have persuaded him to incorporate a more fair and balanced theme to the rest of the album which is causing the delay in rewrites.

Neil is sticking to the Steampunk Universe concept album and drawing from HG Wells and that British universe that is driven by cranks and gears so he is mixing in a Tea Party Steampunk universe featuring Sarah Palin to make Goober and Gemini happy!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/sppcoverlowerqual.jpg

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jan 26 2011, 04:22 PM)
he's telling people "if you believe in God, you're a deluded moron".

Where exactly does Neil say that people are "deluded morons" because he doesn't believe in the Christian god??

I thought of this, too, while listening to "Faithless" in the car (because I didn't feel like hitting the next button) and really focusing on the lyrics; specifically these lines:

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

His use of the first-person clearly demonstrates that "hey, this is just my opinion and this is what works for me".

Certainly there are aspects of religion -- especially organized religion -- that he seems to strongly disagree with, but more in a "hate the behaviour, not the person" sort of way. That's my impression, anyways.

And I love what HowItIs said about the song's true meaning. ♥

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 26 2011, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 26 2011, 04:18 PM)
let me put it this way... Neil preaching about his lack of faith is just as bad if not worse than the fanatical Christians who scream at people telling them they're going to hell. He's on the other end of the spectrum, but he's doing the exact same thing. Both sides are annoying.

This is a ridiculous statement. Fanatical Christians who scream about everyone going to Hell are judging others. Neil is expressing his personal feelings, without trying to control or dictate anyone else's values or behaviour.

There is a HUGE difference between telling someone "You are going to hell unless you believe what I believe!" and telling someone "Here is what I believe, take it or leave it."

he's telling people "if you believe in God, you're a deluded moron". Pretty much the same thing.

I pretty much get this feeling as well.

For those who think we're just deluded, look at this way: a LOT of people are bothered by Faithless and BU2B. if the lyrics were truly benign, why is it bothering so many people? maybe there is something to it.

All I know is prior to S&A, I really can't think of any Rush songs that really bugged people other than some songs people just didn't like. He's being very direct now with his philosophies in a way that turns off a lot of people. That should be pretty obvious based on the reactions. It's unfortunate, and I truly wish he'd either stick to less polarizing material or do it in such a way that's less inflammatory and more open to interpretation. Maybe I'm just interpreting in a way that some of you aren't, but I'm not the only one, obviously.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 26 2011, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jan 26 2011, 06:26 PM)
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/sppcoverlowerqual.jpg

To quote Brian from The Family Guy, "I would wreck that chick."

...with a shovel...

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 26 2011, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 26 2011, 07:22 PM)
if the lyrics were truly benign, why is it bothering so many people?

Insecurity.

ok, so now we're not terrified or unintelligent, we're just insecure. or are we still unintelligent and insecure? or is it all three? please help me keep it straight.

Archived