Time for Alex & Geddy to "assume control"

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 26 2011, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 26 2011, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 26 2011, 07:22 PM)
if the lyrics were truly benign, why is it bothering so many people?

Insecurity.

ok, so now we're not terrified or unintelligent, we're just insecure. or are we still unintelligent and insecure? or is it all three? please help me keep it straight.

we can't possibly understand what he's talking about, he's much more enlightened, educated and intelligent than we will ever be. ph34r.gif

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 26 2011, 08:43 PM)

Insecurity.

ok, so now we're not terrified or unintelligent, we're just insecure. or are we still unintelligent and insecure? or is it all three? please help me keep it straight.

we can't possibly understand what he's talking about, he's much more enlightened, educated and intelligent than we will ever be. ph34r.gif

he used just a single word but that doesn't mean he was off the mark

I can think of no circumstance in my 30 years of listening where a song lyric 'bothered' me philosophically, religiously, politically or otherwise

some of my favorite songs advocate drug use, violence and government overthrow, describe illegal sex acts and detail the horrors organized religions visit upon the human race

some of my other favorite songs decry drug use, preach peace, are patriotic and nationalistic, speak of love and respect and praise Jah in the highest

I have profoundly disagreed with many of the philosophies contained in these lyrics... but I've never been bothered by them or let their content stop me from thoroughly enjoying them

I'm not sure how anyone could?

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 26 2011, 09:47 PM)

Insecurity.

I can think of no circumstance in my 30 years of listening where a song lyric 'bothered' me philosophically, religiously, politically or otherwise

some of my favorite songs advocate drug use, violence and government overthrow, describe illegal sex acts and detail the horrors organized religions visit upon the human race

some of my other favorite songs decry drug use, preach peace, are patriotic and nationalistic, speak of love and respect and praise Jah in the highest

I have profoundly disagreed with many of the philosophies contained in these lyrics... but I've never been bothered by them or let their content stop me from thoroughly enjoying them

oh I'm not letting it stop me from enjoying the music... I would just PREFER he write about something else. He could write a song that says "F**k Christian hypocrites" and I'd probably still listen to it if the music was good lol.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 26 2011, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 26 2011, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jan 26 2011, 06:26 PM)
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/sppcoverlowerqual.jpg

To quote Brian from The Family Guy, "I would wreck that chick."

...with a shovel...

Murder isn't exactly what I had in mind.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 26 2011, 07:47 PM)

Insecurity.

maybe because we're different people?

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 26 2011, 07:26 PM)

Insecurity.

I get the feeling you walk around with a grimace on your face like Alex in your avatar.

I hereby dub thee "Grimace"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__eGCswo6Fhw/SRsokcA-jHI/AAAAAAAACWU/17BQ3xM9gic/s400/Grimace.jpg

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 26 2011, 08:00 PM)

Insecurity.

I get the feeling you walk around with a grimace on your face like Alex in your avatar.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__eGCswo6Fhw/SRsokcA-jHI/AAAAAAAACWU/17BQ3xM9gic/s400/Grimace.jpg

Yeah. That's constructive. sarcasm.gif

Guess I'm not done yet...

And, yes, insecurity does figure into some folks' problem with other religions or non-religion. It's a part of human nature to want to be right. In some cases, people think along the lines of "if more people believe like I do, it must make me right." Consequently, if they run into someone who doesn't believe like they do, it can threaten their being right. It doesn't work that way, of course. Faith is not a zero sum game. Your religion isn't any more right or wrong if 1 billion people believe like you or if none do.

I'm not saying that this is what Goober or anyone else is doing here but it IS a valid observation. Calling someone names because they made a valid point will not erase its validity. Besides, it makes you look childish tongue.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 26 2011, 05:43 PM)

Insecurity.

Why are you calling Goobs a ninja?

Enlightened? You could use a better word than that in this situation, please refer to a dictionary. (see page 5 in this thread tongue.gif )

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jan 26 2011, 11:28 PM)

Insecurity.

Ah, but goobs IS a ninja. It's a very well-kept secret that Gary's body is a lethal weapon. The mild-mannered erstwhile hippie radio show host thing is just a front to fool the enemies.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 26 2011, 10:44 PM)
It's funny how the people making very poor points keep up the frequent posting with name-calling, "funny" pictures, and mindless banter, while the people making good points tend to sit back and laugh.

laugh.gif

Question: Why are you still here? Isn't it beneath you to let us lesser mortals bask in your glow?

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 26 2011, 10:44 PM)
It's funny how the people making very poor points keep up the frequent posting with name-calling, "funny" pictures, and mindless banter, while the people making good points tend to sit back and laugh.

laugh.gif

what's that Grimace?

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 26 2011, 07:44 PM)

laugh.gif

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j-5leje8ehE/TSCfese48mI/AAAAAAAAFnA/zlw3BKVnW1E/s1600/u_mad.jpg

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 26 2011, 10:22 PM)

Insecurity.

And, yes, insecurity does figure into some folks' problem with other religions or non-religion. It's a part of human nature to want to be right. In some cases, people think along the lines of "if more people believe like I do, it must make me right." Consequently, if they run into someone who doesn't believe like they do, it can threaten their being right. It doesn't work that way, of course. Faith is not a zero sum game. Your religion isn't any more right or wrong if 1 billion people believe like you or if none do.

I'm not saying that this is what Goober or anyone else is doing here but it IS a valid observation. Calling someone names because they made a valid point will not erase its validity. Besides, it makes you look childish tongue.gif

http://static.stuff.co.nz/1259620638/955/3113955.jpg

Oh no! I looked childish? How will I go on?

I'll see your sarcasm.gif

and raise you a eh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 26 2011, 08:36 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jan 26 2011, 11:28 PM)

Insecurity.

Ah, but goobs IS a ninja. It's a very well-kept secret that Gary's body is a lethal weapon. The mild-mannered erstwhile hippie radio show host thing is just a front to fool the enemies.

shhhhhh! unsure.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 26 2011, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 26 2011, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 26 2011, 04:18 PM)
let me put it this way... Neil preaching about his lack of faith is just as bad if not worse than the fanatical Christians who scream at people telling them they're going to hell. He's on the other end of the spectrum, but he's doing the exact same thing. Both sides are annoying.

This is a ridiculous statement. Fanatical Christians who scream about everyone going to Hell are judging others. Neil is expressing his personal feelings, without trying to control or dictate anyone else's values or behaviour.

There is a HUGE difference between telling someone "You are going to hell unless you believe what I believe!" and telling someone "Here is what I believe, take it or leave it."

he's telling people "if you believe in God, you're a deluded moron". Pretty much the same thing.

I pretty much get this feeling as well.

For those who think we're just deluded, look at this way: a LOT of people are bothered by Faithless and BU2B. if the lyrics were truly benign, why is it bothering so many people? maybe there is something to it.

Maybe I'm just interpreting in a way that some of you aren't, but I'm not the only one, obviously.

Can anyone who feels this way quote specifically lines in which he's saying that? I don't see it anywhere in BU2B or Faithless. In BU2B's case, religion bashing is not the point of the song at all. All he's saying is think for yourself and make your own choice instead of blindly accepting any belief or buying what you're sold. I can hardly think of anything more life affirming than that.

I've always interpreted Neil as not necessarily anti-religion, but rather against the idea of exploiting religion, either for personal gain, political clout, or as a means to oppress. One must admit that this kind of thing is rampant in the world. Armor and Sword always comes to mind. Spirituality should be your shield, not your weapon. That's the way I've always interpreted it, anyway.

I certainly liked the songs about suburban alienation and artistic integrity much better... those things speak to me the most, but I'm not gonna tell Neil what to write about.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Jan 27 2011, 12:12 AM)
I've always interpreted Neil as not necessarily anti-religion, but rather against the idea of exploiting religion, either for personal gain, political clout, or as a means to oppress. One must admit that this kind of thing is rampant in the world. Armor and Sword always comes to mind. Spirituality should be your shield, not your weapon. That's the way I've always interpreted it, anyway.

I certainly liked the songs about suburban alienation and artistic integrity much better... those things speak to me the most, but I'm not gonna tell Neil what to write about.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 25 2011, 09:32 AM)
I strongly believe Rush needs to reconfigure their system of producing songs in terms of musical style and lyrical content. Enough has been said about the current, long-term tangent they've been on in both respects. I can't see the group deviating to any significant degree from this path they're on.  What concerns me here is- and this is common knowledge of course- as we age as humans, we become less and less inclined to change our established ways and more inclined to stay in the comfort zone of familiarity. Is this where Rush has arrived and are taking root?

What are your opinions in this regard to Rush?

in b4 "Were lucky they're playing anything" (i.e., I'm happy with mediocrity because I have no standards, or, I'll take dung on a platter as long as its Rush"

X2

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5237/facepalmnv.jpg

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 26 2011, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 26 2011, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jan 26 2011, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 26 2011, 04:18 PM)
let me put it this way... Neil preaching about his lack of faith is just as bad if not worse than the fanatical Christians who scream at people telling them they're going to hell. He's on the other end of the spectrum, but he's doing the exact same thing. Both sides are annoying.

This is a ridiculous statement. Fanatical Christians who scream about everyone going to Hell are judging others. Neil is expressing his personal feelings, without trying to control or dictate anyone else's values or behaviour.

There is a HUGE difference between telling someone "You are going to hell unless you believe what I believe!" and telling someone "Here is what I believe, take it or leave it."

he's telling people "if you believe in God, you're a deluded moron". Pretty much the same thing.

I pretty much get this feeling as well.

Really, Goobs? This surprises me, honestly.

Maybe this is better saved for a private convo but I would like to hear how you get this interpretation.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 26 2011, 09:24 PM)

and raise you a eh.gif

Oh bully for you - you posted TWO pictures. And a smilie. Well done. http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Oh wait.... I can post a picture, too!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/funny-pictures-farting-kitten.jpg

Trying to make a reasonable point with this sort of immaturity is futile. Have fun, kids.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/10_4_4v.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 27 2011, 12:20 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 26 2011, 09:24 PM)

and raise you a eh.gif

Oh bully for you - you posted TWO pictures. And a smilie. Well done. http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Oh wait.... I can post a picture, too!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/funny-pictures-farting-kitten.jpg

Trying to make a reasonable point with this sort of immaturity is futile. Have fun, kids.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/10_4_4v.gif

What's with people? confused13.gif

Archived