What RUSH albums - not liked

crazygeo

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Aug 12 2010, 06:22 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 11 2010, 10:04 PM)
2.gif SUCKS!! 062802puke_prv.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif rofl3.gif

I'll never understand people's hatred for their excellent debut, and yes, I've heard all the reasons why people don't like it.

During a thread recently when we had to choose the worst song from each album, I found the first album difficult to choose from - there were only two songs that I thought were weak enough to choose, and even those were great songs.

All I can say is that what it loses in mature lyrics (and even still they're not that bad), it makes up for in absolutely KILLER music, raw power, energy and fun. I find it better than a lot of their albums, and light years better than Presto, RTB, T4E and VT.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 12 2010, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (TullSkull @ Aug 12 2010, 06:22 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 11 2010, 10:04 PM)
2.gif SUCKS!! 062802puke_prv.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif rofl3.gif

I'll never understand people's hatred for their excellent debut, and yes, I've heard all the reasons why people don't like it.

During a thread recently when we had to choose the worst song from each album, I found the first album difficult to choose from - there were only two songs that I thought were weak enough to choose, and even those were great songs.

All I can say is that what it loses in mature lyrics (and even still they're not that bad), it makes up for in absolutely KILLER music, raw power, energy and fun. I find it better than a lot of their albums, and light years better than Presto, RTB, T4E and VT.

I don't hate the debut, but it doesn't excite me. Most of it is just too bar-band for me. Energetic, competent bar-band, sure, but bar-band nonetheless, which is not what I listen to Rush for.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 12 2010, 09:51 AM)
I don't hate the debut, but it doesn't excite me. Most of it is just too bar-band for me. Energetic, competent bar-band, sure, but bar-band nonetheless, which is not what I listen to Rush for.

Bingo! yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 12 2010, 06:59 AM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 12 2010, 09:51 AM)
I don't hate the debut, but it doesn't excite me.  Most of it is just too bar-band for me.  Energetic, competent bar-band, sure, but bar-band nonetheless, which is not what I listen to Rush for.

Bingo! yes.gif trink39.gif

facepalm.gif

All I can say is, please point me in the direction of bar-band albums that are this good, because I haven't heard any.

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Aug 12 2010, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (crazygeo @ Aug 10 2010, 08:42 PM)
Just wondering what albums you really don't care for too much in the
2.gif studio collection

Presto

Presto is the album that introduced me to them.

The only one I just don't like:

Caress Of Steel. Bastille Day is a classic, Lakeside Park is good, the other 35 minutes is useless.

cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 11 2010, 12:00 PM)
I know I'm in a minority with this record, and I'm surprised more people don't agree with me, but these aren't songs I'm dying to hear over and over.  They're all okay, not "bad," but they just don't jump out at me and cause excitement.

I'm right there with you GR! cosmo.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Aug 12 2010, 09:38 AM)
FANBOI here! bekloppt.gif

I like every Rush album. yes.gif

laugh.gif

All I can say is I wish I was a fanboi, in that I wish I loved every album of theirs. I was heartbroken the first time I heard an album of theirs I thought didn't make the cut, and have been every subsequent time that's happened. I wish I loved very album, but I just don't.

Still, out of 18 studio albums I think 14 are great. There are no other bands I can say that about. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 12 2010, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Aug 12 2010, 09:38 AM)
FANBOI here!  bekloppt.gif

I like every Rush album.  yes.gif

laugh.gif

All I can say is I wish I was a fanboi, in that I wish I loved every album of theirs. I was heartbroken the first time I heard an album of theirs I thought didn't make the cut, and have been every subsequent time that's happened. I wish I loved very album, but I just don't.

Still, out of 18 studio albums I think 14 are great. There are no other bands I can say that about. no.gif

Yeah, I don't know what it is. It's actually when I hear everyone else mentioning what they dislike that makes me question my own tastes... laugh.gif

For instance, there are some songs in the catelog that face ALOT of heat that I can say I legitimately love. Not only that, but some are amongst my favourites from their respective albums. Examples?

Neurotica (easily in my Top 3 on RTB)

Virtuality (again, easily in my Top 3 on TFE)

Good News First

Roll The Bones

Hand Over Fist

I know there are more...but these are just some examples of songs that get real grief here, that I can honestly say I love them. All great songs if you ask me.

Like I said...I'm one of those few 'weird' fans who can say that every song is at the very least, enjoyable enough that I can listen to it. No Rush tracks are 'skippable' to me. ph34r.gif

Presto & Roll the Bones. I'm not a big fan of CoS, but at least it has some great kick ass moments. Test for Echo is at the bottom of the list, but, like CoS, it rocks harder than Presto & RTB.

On Presto & RTB, the production is weak, Alex is almost a non-factor in several places, and some of the lyrics are not among Neil's best.

Take Presto (the title cut), The Pass, Chain Lightning, Show Don't Tell, maybe Superconductor and Scars off Presto...put those together with Bravado, Dreamline, Where's My Thing?, Face Up, and maybe Ghost of a Chance off RTB...and you've got a one very good album. (it would also help if it weren't produced by Rupert Hine)

I think the first album is probably the one I listen to less than any others. It doesn't quite have the repeat value of the other albums. I guess because it is probably the most conventional album in their catalog, then it is perhaps a bit more disposable than most.

But I also find that every Rush record has at least one song of significant merit.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 15 2010, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Aug 15 2010, 08:21 PM)
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Presto
Roll The Bones
Test for Echo
Vapor Trails
Snakes and Arrows

You forgot Counterparts tongue.gif

No I think Counterparts is a great album, I listen to it regularly. And I am not stuck in 1984, HYF,Presto and RTB each have 1 song I like from them and T4E,Vapor Trails, and S&A all have a couple songs I like on each. Neither of these albums I can honestly say I like.

Archived