Zebra

losingit2k

Zebra IMO was one of the best 80's bands. Right behind Rush! Randy Jackson is one of the best guitar players out there. I have seen him with Zebra and on the Orchestral Zepplin shows. He is just awesome. Their last Cd Zebra IV was great! Why aren't they touring?They would be the only band I would like to see open up for 2.gif !

http://www.thedoor.com/

1022.gif

yes.gif

I think Randy and the boyz are still playing clubs on the East Coast.

I had a chance to see that Randy Jackson Zeppelin Tribute show in San Diego with a buddy of mine who knows Randy and I didn't do it!!!!!

Couldn't get away. Still bums me out.

The first "Zebra" album is a classic.

Rush with Zebra would work for me!

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Jul 27 2010, 03:10 PM)
I saw Zebra open for Sammy Hagar back in the late 80's...

Great band....great sound.

Some people think Geddy's voice is weird...?

Randy Jackson has some serious pipes and range....

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (MusicHead @ Jul 27 2010, 05:06 PM)
"Who's Behind the Door" and "Tell Me What You Want" are modern classics IMO. Both on ye olde iPod. cool.gif

Two great songs.

I liked Zebra in the mid 80's and just recently read up on them on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_(band)

Seems they just played their 35th anniversary show two weeks ago, so they still around.

Good band.

QUOTE (MusicHead @ Jul 27 2010, 05:06 PM)
"Who's Behind the Door" and "Tell Me What You Want" are modern classics IMO. Both on ye olde iPod. cool.gif

Wait Until the Summers Gone is great too. Zebra's a great band, love them.

I think the OP answered his own question. Zebra still play sometimes as Zebra, and Randy sometimes tours as a solo act doing acoustic sets and/or Zeppelin songs.

I had the first two Zebra albums on vinyl back when they first came out. Loved 'em, probably because they were in a "Rush" vein. I've only got a compilation on CD, but it's good.

Yep, they're still around. The band is actually from Louisiana. They began their career as a Led Zeppelin tribute band. Way back when, upon advice from someone in the music business, they headed up to Long Island, NY to play in the clubs there. Back in those days, lots of up and coming bands played those clubs in the hopes that an agent would notice them. They played clubs like "L'Amour".

I never did get to see them back in those days, I was too young to go to concerts or clubs. But, I loved their music. Having grown up in Long Island, I heard them all the time on the radio. They were getting tons of air time on 102.3 WBAB after releasing their first album. They even had videos on MTV. You can probably find them on YouTube.

The band pretty much dropped off the radar after their follow up albums disappointed, and didn't sell as well. I had pretty much forgotten about them for years after that. I'm not sure what they did during the '90's.

I was pretty much shocked a few years ago, when Eddie Trunk brought them back to NY for a "reunion" show of sorts at BB Kings in NYC. I was at that show with my son. They played all their hits and several Led Zep tunes.

The band still gets together to do shows at BB Kings. It's become a yearly event. They usually play in February. Just recently, they did 2 shows to celebrate their 35th anniversary...one in Long Island and the other in Louisiana. Couldn't make it to either show, but I hear it was awesome.

Here's a pic of my son with the band at one of the shows I took my son to at BB Kings a couple of years ago....

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/kevinmcarney/BrendanZebraBBKings2-15-08.jpg

Too funny..I was just thinking about Zebra the other day when I heard "Who's Behind The Door" on XM. I think I wore that album out...loved it.

Thanks to someone on this board, Earl I think, I bought the best of Zebra last year. I think I was confused at the time regarding Randy Jackson(American Idol) and Zebra's Mr. Jackson!

Fantastic comp. Take Your Fingers(Workshoppe Demo) is off the frigging wall, DT do a fine cover of it too, but the original wins. Randy's voice is far superior to La Brie's.

Randy Jackson plays all the time in the N.Y./L.I. area . A lot of solo/acoustic stuff . The bass player is in a Zep tribute band in N.Y. . The drummer ? No idea

Seems like Zebra was one of those bands that had 8 years to record first album and couldn't sustain after songwriting-wise.

Great band live tho!

Songs kick ass - remember seeing them at their peak at Madison Square Garden.

Archived