What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

I've read "Stephen King" "the Bill Hodges Trilogy" in "Mr. Mercedes", "Finder's Keepers", and "End of Watch", and "Dean Koontz" "Jane Hawk Series" in "the Silent Corner", "the Whispering Room", "the Crooked Staircase", "the Forbidden Door", and "the Night Window" before.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Derek19 said:

I've read "Stephen King" "the Bill Hodges Trilogy" in "Mr. Mercedes", "Finder's Keepers", and "End of Watch", and "Dean Koontz" "Jane Hawk Series" in "the Silent Corner", "the Whispering Room", "the Crooked Staircase", "the Forbidden Door", and "the Night Window" before.

I worked at our public library for a long time, and there was an older patron that liked to take out Dean Koontz books. He finally told me, "I like to read them, Mr. Koontz was my English teacher in high school!"  It's true, when Koontz first graduated college, he taught in a town near us for a while. I don't think he's been back lately though!:smile:

• Like 5

Started and finished Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.  I did not enjoy it, but at least it was short.

I’m starting Notes From the Underground now.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 7:59 PM, NoahLutz said:

Started and finished Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.  I did not enjoy it, but at least it was short.

Heavy stuff to start off the year..:unsure:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rhyta said:

Heavy stuff to start off the year..:unsure:

Perhaps, but both are short.  Just trying to knock off a few of the short ones on my list.  I’m not as disciplined as you and haven’t mapped out a list, but I have a huge backlog of books and am trying to read some short ones to get a couple of Ws under my belt to start out the year.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 11:17 PM, NoahLutz said:

Perhaps, but both are short.  Just trying to knock off a few of the short ones on my list.  I’m not as disciplined as you and haven’t mapped out a list, but I have a huge backlog of books and am trying to read some short ones to get a couple of Ws under my belt to start out the year.

You still get credit for reading classics IMHO :thumbsup:  Lots of folks don't want to tackle those, I am one of them lately.   Last ones I tried were Picture of Dorian Grey and Murder on the Orient Express (both about 2 years ago).  Did finish the Christie but just couldn't finish Dorian.  Ah well. Perhaps I will get to some of the other long delayed books this year.

I haven't always kept lists, kinda wish I had because it would be fun to see how my interests have progressed over the years.  Joined Goodreads in 2012 and that helped me keep track of where I was on the yearly list so I could adjust my reading pace.  Always have a break in April to June where not much gets read (hockey fan and that's playoff time..not much of anything gets done during those months :biggrin:)  I enjoy logging in and seeing my list of completed reads (still keep a physical copy as well, never know when those darn computers crash).  Then as I get closer to the end of the year I can push to get my goal met since I can see how far behind I am.

Still working on Geddy's book, taking my time now I have the physical copy and can go back and look at the pictures as I finish a chapter in the audio version.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rhyta said:

You still get credit for reading classics IMHO :thumbsup:  Lots of folks don't want to tackle those, I am one of them lately.   Last ones I tried were Picture of Dorian Grey and Murder on the Orient Express (both about 2 years ago).  Did finish the Christie but just couldn't finish Dorian.  Ah well. Perhaps I will get to some of the other long delayed books this year.

I haven't always kept lists, kinda wish I had because it would be fun to see how my interests have progressed over the years.  Joined Goodreads in 2012 and that helped me keep track of where I was on the yearly list so I could adjust my reading pace.  Always have a break in April to June where not much gets read (hockey fan and that's playoff time..not much of anything gets done during those months :biggrin:)  I enjoy logging in and seeing my list of completed reads (still keep a physical copy as well, never know when those darn computers crash).  Then as I get closer to the end of the year I can push to get my goal met since I can see how far behind I am.

Still working on Geddy's book, taking my time now I have the physical copy and can go back and look at the pictures as I finish a chapter in the audio version.

I’m with you, Rhyta.  I actually love the classics, but it can be more like work than some modern works.  One of the great things about the audible books is that I can listen while I do something else, like cleaning the house or playing video games which don’t take too much of my thought (like racing games or collection quests in a Mario game).  However, the classics demand my attention.  Often the beauty of the language and the complexity of the thought requires me to slow down and read and re-read the book.  The Red Badge of Courage and The Heart of Darkness were like that for me.  They are short novellas, but it took me days to get through them (I think the former could have taken me a few weeks as I’d find myself reading something else when I couldn’t devote 100% of my attention to it).  

As for The Picture of Dorian Grey, I made my opinion on that book clear above, I think.  Once you are introduced to the conceit of the book, there’s really not much else to get from it.  I’d either skip to the end and call it a day or just forget it.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NoahLutz said:

I’m with you, Rhyta.  I actually love the classics, but it can be more like work than some modern works.  One of the great things about the audible books is that I can listen while I do something else, like cleaning the house or playing video games which don’t take too much of my thought (like racing games or collection quests in a Mario game).  However, the classics demand my attention.  Often the beauty of the language and the complexity of the thought requires me to slow down and read and re-read the book.  The Red Badge of Courage and The Heart of Darkness were like that for me.  They are short novellas, but it took me days to get through them (I think the former could have taken me a few weeks as I’d find myself reading something else when I couldn’t devote 100% of my attention to it).  

As for The Picture of Dorian Grey, I made my opinion on that book clear above, I think.  Once you are introduced to the conceit of the book, there’s really not much else to get from it.  I’d either skip to the end and call it a day or just forget it.  

Agree completely,  audio helps me read while doing boring stuff and I have come to really love certain narrators so I listen to those series because of the reader. Such as Simon Vance, love his rendition of the Temeraire series (besides I am a sucker for British accents :smile:) and George Guidall does a fantastic job on  Longmire  as well as Tony Hillerman's Navajo Detective series . The classics do require more concentration due to the subject matter usually, there are some books I tried in audio but went to the print because it just wasn't getting through.

I'll take your word for it on Dorian, it was sad for me for that and Murder to be so disappointing.  They both are touted as distinguished authors but I may have waited too late in life to read them, I find I have little patience with certain literary forms the older I get.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

On 1/6/2024 at 2:59 AM, NoahLutz said:

Big fan of Stoppard and Dostoevsky.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

Big fan of Stoppard and Dostoevsky.

I remember loving Dostoevsky (or his translators) in school, but it's been a while.  As for Stoppard, I only know the one work and I really hated it this time.  Perhaps I don't have patience for existential or nihilist works any more, or perhaps the humor of the absurdism is more frustrating than funny to me now, but the best thing I can say about that work was that it was short.  

• Like 1

Duma Key by Stephen King.  I got 3/4 of the way through it - the man can really write.  But the closing quarter has me lost - the really supernatural stuff is just predictable. I guess even a master like him runs out of ideas after a while.

Just finished Salems Lot by Stephen King.

Not a big fan of his work.  I don't really go for horror all that much so i tend to stay away from his work.  I recall looking at this book way back when I was in college in the 1980's and I got the feeling it was well written.  I read The Dead Zone, Fire Starter and Cujo by him way back in the 1980's.  The first 2 were ok, enjoyable but nothing I was wild about.  Cujo I did not care for.  I think I tried one or 2 other book by him and they were not to my taste.  

However, all the posting on TRF about David Soul passing away got me to purchase this book and give it a shot.  Its very well written.  But clearly not my cup of tea.  It just reinforced for me that horror is not something I enjoy reading.

Got of plenty of other books to work on so I will move on to them and stay away from his writing.  Like I said, just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 9:05 AM, NoahLutz said:

As for Stoppard, I only know the one work and I really hated it this time.  Perhaps I don't have patience for existential or nihilist works any more, or perhaps the humor of the absurdism is more frustrating than funny to me now, but the best thing I can say about that work was that it was short.  

I just finished Waiting for Godot.  It's basically the same story as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.  Same themes, same style, same beats.  It came earlier so it may be more original, though Rosencrantz does have an interesting conceit, as poorly executed as it was.  I can only say that I didn't hate Godot as much as Rosencrantz: at least gave me a few smiles, but it was ultimately almost as shallow and annoying. 

11 hours ago, NoahLutz said:

I am starting with Sextus Empiricus.  Amazon seems to think I will like this based on my purchases of a lot of books on the ancient world.  

I didn't know much about him, and "An Ancient Guide to Thinking Like a Skeptic" is an introduction to him with selected works and some small amount of commentary.  It was very short and high level, but I feel I can at least understand Sextus' form of Skepticism and how he approached epistemology.  I didn't find the arguments overly compelling as they seemed too pedantic, or perhaps too semantic, but I could definitely see the utility in the generalized approach.  If you're interested in ancient philosophy and want to see if you want to read more, this is a super fast and easy to understand book to test the waters.  

On 1/10/2024 at 1:05 AM, NoahLutz said:

I remember loving Dostoevsky (or his translators) in school, but it's been a while.  As for Stoppard, I only know the one work and I really hated it this time.  Perhaps I don't have patience for existential or nihilist works any more, or perhaps the humor of the absurdism is more frustrating than funny to me now, but the best thing I can say about that work was that it was short.  

Have you tried The Invention of Love? The BBC Radio 3 drama version is up on YT and it is excellent. If you don't like that then it's fair to say that Stoppard just isn't your bag.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:17 AM, Turbine Freight said:

Have you tried The Invention of Love? The BBC Radio 3 drama version is up on YT and it is excellent. If you don't like that then it's fair to say that Stoppard just isn't your bag.

Thank you for the recommendation.  I am skeptical based on the content and my general distaste for "modern" plays, but I'll put it on my list.  

• Like 1

I just finished the first book of the Prince Warriors with my son and the first book of the new Thrawn trilogy with both kids (we already read the legends trilogy on Thrawn).  On to the next for both series! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NoahLutz said:

Thank you for the recommendation.  I am skeptical based on the content and my general distaste for "modern" plays, but I'll put it on my list.  

Here it is so you don't have to waste your time searching for it. If you get to the dialogue between Mose & Houseman about Oscar Wilde referring to Mose's left leg as a poem and you're still not invested then ditch it. It's just not for you in that case. That's about half an hour in. Good luck!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Principled Man said:

Arrived yesterday!

00qqLSv.jpg

Last year I got a fancy hardcover with these 3 books in on binding, but it is a bit too unwieldy.  You make me regret my decision even more.  

S by J. J. Abrams & Doug Derst.

I love that it contains props like newspaper articles, research notes, & letters. Not to mention a lively conversation written in the margins. It's quite good so far. After that I'll be tackling House of Leaves.

Before I started S, I read the Batman graphic novels Killing Time & Batman & The Joker: Deadly Duo & I'm happy to report they're very, very good!

• Like 1