What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead - Dennis Mcnally

This is a pretty entertaining read, if not what I would call scholarly. I think he focuses a little too much on the drugs aspect of their existence (though, admittedly, they were certainly a part of it)...a lot of fun stories, though. It's enjoyable.

The Children of Huron : J.R.R. Tolkien.

Let me know how you get on, I still need to read this!

Still reading Prisoner Of Azkaban, I have been so busy I had time only to read one chapter this week lol!

Finally finished Azkaban!

Opinion changed forever. Must be about the tenth time I have read this book, and I was utterly stunned by the intricacy of the plot, the depth of the characters, and most of all, the subtlety of Dumbledore's character.

Absolutely stunned. Goblet next! More house elves, more lessons! More schools...more danger...Quidditch World Cup...

Dang it...may I never grow up!

Taking a break from Harry Potter and have finally started reading Sherlock Holmes.

So, A Study In Scarlet is the my current obsession, and wow! I actually love Doyle's writing from other, non-Holmes works, but I am enthralled! Am I ashamed how long it has taken me to start these? Yes. All the times I read books and wish I hadn't bothered whilst these were on my readlist for roughly 15 years is unforgivable (I wanted to start them but as a kid it was all about Professor Challenger for me! Conan Doyle's literary hero just got overlooked...).

But never mind, better late than never!

• Like 1

Taking a break from Harry Potter and have finally started reading Sherlock Holmes.

So, A Study In Scarlet is the my current obsession, and wow! I actually love Doyle's writing from other, non-Holmes works, but I am enthralled! Am I ashamed how long it has taken me to start these? Yes. All the times I read books and wish I hadn't bothered whilst these were on my readlist for roughly 15 years is unforgivable (I wanted to start them but as a kid it was all about Professor Challenger for me! Conan Doyle's literary hero just got overlooked...).

That stuff is totally great.

I have three books on the go. One is William Gibson's Spook Country. I don't really get what's happening, with all the covert stuff and technology, but the characters are great - their insecurities and weird observations are keeping me very entertained.

I'm also reading a badly-written rock bio about Max Webster. I have tremendous respect for Popoff, who has also written about Rush, but man this thing seems really quickly slapped together.

Finally, I'm reading my kid the last (finally) Harry Potter book, and my opinion of this gal's writing has not changed. Long, long, looooong conversations broken very occasionally by overwhelming action sequences. Almost impossible to read out loud to a child. I skip over so much. Last night, Hermione was sorting books while having a conversation with Ron and Harry. I couldn't bear to read out all of the damned book titles. Better if you're reading it on your own, I suppose, but what a snoozer.

• Like 1

I have three books on the go. One is William Gibson's Spook Country. I don't really get what's happening, with all the covert stuff and technology, but the characters are great - their insecurities and weird observations are keeping me very entertained.

I'm also reading a badly-written rock bio about Max Webster. I have tremendous respect for Popoff, who has also written about Rush, but man this thing seems really quickly slapped together.

Finally, I'm reading my kid the last (finally) Harry Potter book, and my opinion of this gal's writing has not changed. Long, long, looooong conversations broken very occasionally by overwhelming action sequences. Almost impossible to read out loud to a child. I skip over so much. Last night, Hermione was sorting books while having a conversation with Ron and Harry. I couldn't bear to read out all of the damned book titles. Better if you're reading it on your own, I suppose, but what a snoozer.

Deathly Hallows is a masterpiece. I personally think it needs multiple readings, in the same way as A Tale Of Two Cities or War And Piece improve with each reading.

First time, left cold, and confused. But time is kind, and patience rewards.

As for Sherlock, my ten year old inner self is loving it!

Deathly Hallows is a masterpiece. I personally think it needs multiple readings, in the same way as A Tale Of Two Cities or War And Piece improve with each reading.

First time, left cold, and confused. But time is kind, and patience rewards.

As for Sherlock, my ten year old inner self is loving it!

I think I might start reading the series again. It's been quite a few years now since I read the last one.

Sherlock Holmes: The Sign Of Four

For the longest time, based solely on the Professor Challenger novels (The Lost World being the most well known), I have regarded Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as being one of my favourite writers.

With Sherlock Holmes, he pretty much owns my attention and my heart. Wow! Absolutely enthralled by his style of writing (his nearest comparable writer is H.G. Wells, another firm favourite), it is amazing how modern and fresh the books feel in spite of what I guess is now to be regarded as a period setting (although when these books came out, they were not historical but contemporary fiction!).

J.K. Rowling, Wells and now Doyle are my top three writers.

Sorry Tolstoy. Sorry Dickens.

Finished "11/22/63" which was the shizz-nit, by S. King, and then I listened to "Finders Keepers" by the same author.

OK, TRFers: I've got 2 more credits at the beginning of August. What do y'all think I should download? More S.King or something different? I've heard "The Brothers Karmazov" is awesome.

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire

Although Azkaban was a great novel, it followed a formula that was running a little close to thin by that point. Goblet shook things up, from the very first chapter, and kept things twisting and turning until it reached a very tense and horrifying ending.

Possibly the most enjoyable of all the books, being the last of the series with the innocence and naivety of youth, with the depth of writing, enddless (and joyous) subplots, and very exciting action scenes. After this, the books took on a more serious, gritty nature. I just love book four!

• Like 1

I had to put down War and Peace for a bit, and I've gone to another Iris Murdoch book- The Flight From the Enchanter. This is another of hers that I haven't read for about five years, and it is a real treat!

This was only her second novel- not terribly long, but rich in texture and characters, and the prose is deeply thoughtful. It's gorgeous!

• Like 1

I had to put down War and Peace for a bit, and I've gone to another Iris Murdoch book- The Flight From the Enchanter. This is another of hers that I haven't read for about five years, and it is a real treat!

This was only her second novel- not terribly long, but rich in texture and characters, and the prose is deeply thoughtful. It's gorgeous!

Confession: I too put down War and Peace. Great book but I am not ready to sit through it all over again so soon after the last time!

• Like 1

Confession: I too put down War and Peace. Great book but I am not ready to sit through it all over again so soon after the last time!

I am nearly 400 pages in, and it is holding my interest...but as I've also found with Dostoevsky, Tolstoy's prose is so dense (and I mean that in a good way!) that I thought a break was in order.

• Like 1

The Children of Huron : J.R.R. Tolkien.

Let me know how you get on, I still need to read this!

Finished it, but I can't see me ever reading it again. Of course, it was not a finished Tolkien as such, but a "work in progress" that his son finally got round to fleshing out. Seems all very rushed, and does not conjur the same imagery as a complete original. 6/10.

Now reading Andy McNab's : Dark Winter.

Lloyd Alexander- The Book Of Three (Book One Of The Chronicles Of Prydain)

A classic fantasy series, one that seems to share a similar reputation with the likes of Susan Cooper's glorious The Dark Is Rising Sequence and C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles Of Narnia.

I am fondly reminded of the style of writing that I treasured as a child, but what interests me here is the immediate setting the scene, the almost mythical weight carried by every word, and the immensely vivid description of each small event. For ten years this series of books has been on my reading list, and I am not at all disappointed!

Less juvenile than Narnia, less weighty than Lord Of The Rings, and more atmospheric than Harry Potter, I may just have a new favourite series!

• Like 2

A classic fantasy series, one that seems to share a similar reputation with the likes of Susan Cooper's glorious The Dark Is Rising Sequence and C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles Of Narnia.

I am fondly reminded of the style of writing that I treasured as a child, but what interests me here is the immediate setting the scene, the almost mythical weight carried by every word, and the immensely vivid description of each small event. For ten years this series of books has been on my reading list, and I am not at all disappointed!

Less juvenile than Narnia, less weighty than Lord Of The Rings, and more atmospheric than Harry Potter, I may just have a new favourite series!

Fantastic post.

And just wait. The series gets better. Taran Wanderer and The Black Cauldron are my favorites.

• Like 1

Fantastic post.

And just wait. The series gets better. Taran Wanderer and The Black Cauldron are my favorites.

I finally won a beautiful, worn, paperback box set on eBay and I am delighted with the vintage covers!

I am amazed by these. Classic fantasy and sci-fi have few modern rivals, and I have faith that this series is a real winner!