What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Finished "Mustaine: A heavy metal memoir." Holy shit, what a great book. The narrator, Tom Wayland, sounds just like Dave. He made this book great.

The book chronicles all the drug use, rehab, line changes, and mistakes, that Dave, and Megadeth, made over the years.

As an atheist, I have to admit that the best moment of the book was when Dave laid all his burdens down at the foot of the cross. He saved his life and his family by allowing Jesus to lift these weights off his shoulder.

This sounds interesting; I like biographies. Thanks! :notworthy: I hadn't realized Mustaine was "born again." Should be an interesting read!

Downloaded Stephen King's "Firestarter" too

Great book. The movie was horrible. Like so many of King's books, too much takes place in the characters' minds to translate well to a movie. Cujo and Christine especially suffer from that. Cujo was a suffocating book to read. The movie stinks. Oddly enough, Misery, which has the same vibe (to me) was a pretty decent movie.

I just finished up with Firestarter, finally. Sorry, I just couldn't get into it. The narrator was very monotone, and, perhaps, it's because I've been stressed out lately. After the initial chase, and, the girl burned down the farm, the book kind of went downhill. I think King might have known that he went in the wrong direction, and he shut it down, because the book really could have been longer, but it was going no where. What I mean is, there was no big ending in sight.

IDK, like I've said, the narrator can make or break a book, and he broke this one. But, that's a subjective opinion.

Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, The Tour de France, and The Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever

Wow, this was an eye opener. After the Armstrong doping scandal hit the news I realized the teams did it, but this book explains how blatant and stupid they were about it. And the Live Strong foundation helps a lot of people but after reading this book it seems like Lance himself is (and always was) a really huge jerk.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/510ycxzLD5L._SX329_BO1204203200_.jpg

Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, The Tour de France, and The Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever

Wow, this was an eye opener. After the Armstrong doping scandal hit the news I realized the teams did it, but this book explains how blatant and stupid they were about it. And the Live Strong foundation helps a lot of people but after reading this book it seems like Lance himself is (and always was) a really huge jerk.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/510ycxzLD5L._SX329_BO1204203200_.jpg

Some of the audible reviews said this book had bad narration. The u said the narrator couldn't properly pronounce place names. Is that true?

Some of the audible reviews said this book had bad narration. The u said the narrator couldn't properly pronounce place names. Is that true?

I will find out for you and post later today. I actually read the print copy but my husband listened to the audible one. He liked it a lot but he is a big Tour de France fan so he might have stuck with it just to find out the info.

Always love his music, esp. the Rick Rubin produced stuff late in life.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/plantfan40/51WZpYwABXL._SX321_BO1204203200_.jpg

Rick Rubin's contribution gave us magic of incredible magnitude. Lyle Lovett inducted Johnny in the RRHOF...isn't that something?

What Jimi did to Dylan's Watchtower, Johnny accomplished with "Hurt". Unbelievable.

When he did "Hurt" has to be one of the most powerful videos and recordings ever, really. A woman I worked with had seen it on CMT (like I had) and had not seen a photo of Cash for awhile. She could not stop talking about how upsetting and yet moving it was; it has that effect on people. I couldn't turn away from it when it used to come on.

Yeah, after Cash covered that song, Trent Reznor said it was no longer his song, meaning that Cash owns it now
  • Like 1

I read in it in print. I thought my husband did it on Audible but I just asked and he actually read this one in print on his Kindle so he's not sure about the narrator. There are a lot of European place names and mountain names that appear during the Tour race and so there is a chance that they are not pronounced correctly. I guess that could be irritating, especially if you are a bike race fan.

I read in it in print. I thought my husband did it on Audible but I just asked and he actually read this one in print on his Kindle so he's not sure about the narrator. There are a lot of European place names and mountain names that appear during the Tour race and so there is a chance that they are not pronounced correctly. I guess that could be irritating, especially if you are a bike race fan.

Gotcha.

I'm currently reading:

The Talisman - Stephen King

Different Seasons - Stephen King

The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe

Illyiad - Homer

I was just talking about Poe with a friend the other day. I remember reading those stories years ago. They were great. Creepy.

• Like 1

I'm currently reading:

The Talisman - Stephen King

Different Seasons - Stephen King

The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe

Illyiad - Homer

Which translation of the Iliad are you using? I'm partial to Tha Illiad, by MC Homer, yo. Here's a snippet:

Book One: The Beef

• Muse, rhyme of the beef of the son of Peleus

• that piled mad grief all up on the Achaeans

• and spurred to Perdition the souls of real gangstas,

• yo, and for bitches an' crows they made banquets.

• The mighty god Zeus's will was accomplished

• when, fighting, those two was split up in contest:

• Atrides, lord of men, and Achilles with the brilliance.

• Which of the gods willed these two to militance?

• The seed of Zeus and Leta, who was beefin' at the leader,

• brought disease up in this piece; and the legions were deceasin',

• 'cuz the mighty king Atrides dissed a high priest, name o' Chryses,

• for he beat feet to the fleet fleet of the Greek peeps with a pricey

• ransom, countless in its bounty, for his daughter, who got captured,

• with the chaplet on the pimp cane of Apollo (who will cap you

• from a distance). and his mission: to petition the Achaeans,

• 'specially the two Atreides, the chiefs of Grecian defense:

• "Lord Atrides, and Achaeans with greaves that are pimpest,

• may the highest of the deities, who live on Mount Olympus,

• let you pillage Priam's village, and return ya to your hood;

• just release my dear Chryseis—an' you'll earn cash for my blood;

• and you'll respect Apollo, packin' heat, the son of God."

• Then all Achaeans holla'd back, that he was really good,

• to acknowledge this apologist and take the handsome ransom

• but his prayer found no favor when Atrides checked the scansion

The Wreckers by Bella Bathurst. I got intrigued by the whole idea from the CA song, the Wreckers. It wasn't as vicious as I had hoped, if that makes sense. There was a lot in it about opportunism, where people take advantage of shipwrecks, but not as much plotting as I thought there would be. Still interesting & well researched though.

Let's bring this thread back, because literature is important.

Right now I'm reading <u>1984</u> by George Orwell...

On the side, I am also reading the Rush tourbooks...

I need to break that out again. It's been years...and yes, my tour book from R40!