What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

In honor of the tour, I am reading Contents Under Pressure , 30 years of Rush at Home and Away :dweez:

Rhyta, I hope you like it. I liked it very much, and I refer to it often.

I figure I will, I already read Rush the Illustrated History by the same author but have had this one for a while and thought now would be a good time to read it. I am getting myself psyched up for the concert in July :rush: :haz:

• Like 2

These are very rare. For some reason I'm fascinated by Jehovah's Witness Literature. Not a follower, but am considered a scholar in some circles about this movement. I found the whole set at a yard sale, the people didn't know what they had. Been trying to find them for years but didn't want to unload the crazy jack to get them. Interesting stuff. Even more fascinating is the evolution of the brand:

http://www.watchthetower.net/sits2.gif

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/divine_plan_of_ages_fold_out.jpg

• Like 2

These are very rare. For some reason I'm fascinated by Jehovah's Witness Literature. Not a follower, but am considered a scholar in some circles about this movement. I found the whole set at a yard sale, the people didn't know what they had. Been trying to find them for years but didn't want to unload the crazy jack to get them. Interesting stuff. Even more fascinating is the evolution of the brand:

That looks very interesting, and I agree it is quite a find. Probably would have cost you a small fortune elsewhere.

Is it their own commentary on the bible?

• Like 1

That looks very interesting, and I agree it is quite a find. Probably would have cost you a small fortune elsewhere.

Yes indeed it is. Really interesting stuff in terms of the mindset of prophecy in the early 1900's, and how it would be fulfilled. They were wrong everytime.
  • Like 2

Yes indeed it is. Really interesting stuff in terms of the mindset of prophecy in the early 1900's, and how it would be fulfilled. They were wrong everytime.

It is now very out of date. Understanding of the bible has improved over the last century. This series was written at a time when the studies were still being conducted using old English bibles that left out both the name Jehovah and that often included distorted, latter day teachings such as The Trinity.

Much effort has been made into translating the bible accurately, and affordably. No longer is literature charged for, including bibles.

www.jw.org offers magazines, books, animations, news items, learning aids, bibles and advice for free several hundred languages. No need to sign up.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Yes indeed it is. Really interesting stuff in terms of the mindset of prophecy in the early 1900's, and how it would be fulfilled. They were wrong every time.

It is now very out of date. Understanding of the bible has improved over the last century. This series was written at a time when the studies were still being conducted using old English bibles that left out both the name Jehovah and that often included distorted, latter day teachings such as The Trinity.

Much effort has been made into translating the bible accurately, and affordably. No longer is literature charged for, including bibles.

www.jw.org offers magazines, books, animations, news items, learning aids, bibles and advice for free several hundred languages. No need to sign up.

Of course it's out of date...that's why they can be so bloody expensive. Getting the ORIGINALS is kind of a quest for me. Such an interesting organization
  • Like 1

Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It was so good, very nostalgic as the character goes back in time. I was in 5th grade when JFK was killed and this was well done with some details I hadn't heard (strength of dislike and numerous death threats from Texans was disturbing). Book is a work of fiction but it reflects that era very well. Listened to the audio book, very good
  • Like 5

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets

An outstanding novel, and in many ways the most important book of the series:

Azkaban

Horcruxes

Voldemort's past

The sense of fear

Ron and Hermione's early chemistry (see how Ron defends Hermione when she is petrified, he reacts in a way that Harry doesn't)

Harry and Ginny

Malfoy's dark allegiance to Voldemort's

• Like 4

Finished listening to " The Blank Slate" by Stephen Pinker, finally. Now, listening to " The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins, and trying to finish "Dune" by Frank Herbert. Edited by Aikenrooster
  • Like 1

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

Just started it. Marvellous novel!

• Like 3

Reading this for approximately the eighth time, and this is honestly the most I have ever enjoyed it!

• Like 2

Reading this for approximately the eighth time, and this is honestly the most I have ever enjoyed it!

My ten year old loved it sooooo much

• Like 2

My ten year old loved it sooooo much

You mean he can read? :LOL:

• Like 2

Harry Potter is classic fiction. Sorry, not offended by anyone mocking it for being a kids book.

I know lots of pensioners who adore it, stacks of readers in their forties, and honestly? Most of this series reads like a classic Victorian boarding school novel, and the creativity and depth of each and every character matches the very best of Charles Dickens (a writer I absolutely love).

Call it a kids book. But I know more adult readers who were already adults in 1997 when the first book came out.

My favourite novels ever. And I read a lot of them!

• Like 1

Harry Potter is classic fiction. Sorry, not offended by anyone mocking it for being a kids book.

I know lots of pensioners who adore it, stacks of readers in their forties, and honestly? Most of this series reads like a classic Victorian boarding school novel, and the creativity and depth of each and every character matches the very best of Charles Dickens (a writer I absolutely love).

Call it a kids book. But I know more adult readers who were already adults in 1997 when the first book came out.

I know they released the books in the U.K. with an "adult cover" as well as a young readers cover for the adults who wanted to read it but didn't want to look like they were reading a kids book.

• Like 1

I know they released the books in the U.K. with an "adult cover" as well as a young readers cover for the adults who wanted to read it but didn't want to look like they were reading a kids book.

They did! Oddly enough, most adults stopped caring which format was used after a while, as I am sure you can no longer buy them in the shops, especially now they have released new covers again.

I just got the full set of American hardback editions, with all the illustrations and what not. For all the so called "Americanisation" of the text, it is surprising how authentically British they still read. I can cope with the subtle differences, as the American publishers did an absolutely beautiful job with the art design, both with the original covers and the chapter illustrations (not to mention the stylised letters and newspaper articles). Also, the quality of the hardcovers are immensely better than that of the British. They were really frail and would actually start to crack and break after just one read.

So I am resuming The Prisoner Of Azkaban now with the actual book, and not my tablet. This particular novel I think is one of the finest works of suspense fiction ever. Even after reading the book many times and seeing the film, the way the dread Sirius Black creeps into Harry's life before the final showdown at the end is so beautifully handled, it fascinates me just how clever Rowling is as a writer! I have never been able to predict my way through her books, and like all the great writers and their works, you benefit more from rereading them as there is a lot of depth, and storytelling nuances, that can only be noticed with hindsight.

If Harry Potter is for kids, then Star Wars is strictly for foetuses.

• Like 2