What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

So I had every intention of finishing 'Salem's Lot before jumping into a new book...

...but I made the mistake of happening upon my ebook file for Odd Thomas.

Granted I've loved James Patterson for quite a while (I read the Maximum Ride series as a middle schooler) but about a page in I was hooked. Before I realized what was going on I was fifty pages in and it was one in the morning. Whoops.

Actually my folks recommended the Odd series to me, so I found an ebook file a while ago. Now I know why they liked it so much!

I know Patterson isn't everyone's cup of tea but as far as a supernatural story goes, what I've read so far was very good.

I am reading

Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Harry Potter for adults

Excellent book, though it drags a bit about 3/4 of the way through for me.

I am reading

Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Harry Potter for adults

Excellent book, though it drags a bit about 3/4 of the way through for me.

Started reading this a little while ago... fantastic so far! My studies and work have kept me from finishing it but it's really exciting. Also read The Green Mile last month or so, which I loved. Looking forward to re-reading it in the future. C:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/Writergirl2112/king_salemslot.jpg

One of my favorite King books, even after all these years. And I've read them all. Enjoy it.

Me too. I am pleased to see Stephen King finally getting some accolades. He is an amazing story teller.

Started reading this a little while ago... fantastic so far! My studies and work have kept me from finishing it but it's really exciting. Also read The Green Mile last month or so, which I loved. Looking forward to re-reading it in the future. C:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/Writergirl2112/king_salemslot.jpg

One of my favorite King books, even after all these years. And I've read them all. Enjoy it.

Me too. I am pleased to see Stephen King finally getting some accolades. He is an amazing story teller.

One of the things I've always said about King is that when I am reading one of his books, I'm never really aware that I'm "reading." It feels more like I'm actually watching the story unfold in front of me.

Good evening everyone, (well it is over here in my neck of the woods, and by the way this is my first post)

I am just getting into a Martin Amis book called London Fields and I have just finished American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

I could not finish this book the first time I came across it. In fact, when I finally (and gratefully) decided to stop reading it, I could not even bring myself to return it to my bookshelf. I actually threw it in the litter bin, which I have never done to another book.

It's a shame, too, because up until about 3/4 of the way through, I LOVED this book. The writing is simply brilliant, and Ellis presents a fascinating and thought-provoking view of 1980's American society, made especially poignant by the fact that it is only mildly less disturbing than the view into the mind of a psycho-sociopath.

I thought I was doing really well getting through the elaborately grotesque and increasingly descriptive torture/murder scenes, understanding their placement and function within the bigger picture of the novel, as well as the contrast and compliment they brought to the other, more sane and mundane (but equally elaborate and descriptive) sections.

But really, I thought to myself, Ellis. Enough is enough. I stopped reading when I found myself literally on the verge of vomiting, and I am still haunted and disturbed by concepts and imagery that have been burned into my brain forever. But saying all that, and fast forwarding to a couple of months ago while in a second hand charity store I purchased the book and for some perverse reason I finished the book second time around, and once again baulked at the scenes and ambience it portrays. Thanks a lot, Bret.

yeah it has quite an effect, especially the infamous RAT SCENE which was thankfully left out of the movie

I'm a big bret ellis fan, I've read all his stuff, american psycho's still my favorite. have you read any of his other stuff?

finished the brothers karamazov and dune messiah, BK was brilliant, dune 2 on the other hand wasn't very impressive

started up equus, really neat so far. also got some moorcock books in the mail I plan on tackling soon

Just finished "When March Went Mad", about the NCAA title game between Bird and Magic. A good read if you are interested in Larry Bird's background. He overcame a lot.