Time Machine or The Wall

losingit2k

Which will be the more memorable tour!  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be the more memorable tour!

• Rush - Time Machine Tour
    • Roger Waters - The Wall Live

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ May 13 2010, 05:15 PM)
a band that hasn't put out any truly relevent music in more than a decade, maybe 2 decades, trying to cash in on past glory, an old album.

This would seem to pretty adequately describe BOTH tours, don't ya think? smile.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chrysalii @ May 13 2010, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 13 2010, 05:18 PM)
Let's see........

The whole band Rush, playing material that they wrote (and are still writing), most of it newer than the Wall, most of it BETTER than the Wall.

vs

1 washed up guy from a band that hasn't put out any truly relevent music in more than a decade, maybe 2 decades, trying to cash in on past glory, an old album.

I don't know. Let me think about this one.  sarcasm.gif

They actually havent put out anything relevant in over three decades...

I liked The Division Bell...but that was a Watersless Floyd (and it came out in 1994)

Amused to Death was really good (probably the best Roger Waters solo album), that came out in 1992...so almost 2 decades.

In any event, I don't want to see Waters playing a whole Pink Floyd album unless the other members were there (with the absence of Rick Wright, R.I.P.). It can't be pulled off without the rest of the band. It would be like Alex Lifeson touring 2112 with himself and a touring band.

As big a Pink Floyd fan as I am, I don't want to see it. I would go in an instant if he was doing Amused to Death with a few classic Pink Floyd songs thrown in, like Gilmour did with Gdnansk.

Still, the theatrics will be top notch, it is a Pink Floyd style concert.

I would say Rush, just because the experience isn't complete without the rest of the band. It doesn't matter how big of a wall they build for the show, but it would be hard to top the one in Berlin.

If the remaining members of Pink Floyd joined with Roger, it would be huge (remember Live 8)

Right, I was referring to a true Floyd album, ie. Animals....

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 13 2010, 11:18 PM)
Let's see........

The whole band Rush, playing material that they wrote (and are still writing), most of it newer than the Wall, most of it BETTER than the Wall.

vs

1 washed up guy from a band that hasn't put out any truly relevent music in more than a decade, maybe 2 decades, trying to cash in on past glory, an old album.

I liked The Division Bell...but that was a Watersless Floyd (and it came out in 1994)

Amused to Death was really good (probably the best Roger Waters solo album), that came out in 1992...so almost 2 decades.

In any event, I don't want to see Waters playing a whole Pink Floyd album unless the other members were there (with the absence of Rick Wright, R.I.P.). It can't be pulled off without the rest of the band. It would be like Alex Lifeson touring 2112 with himself and a touring band.

As big a Pink Floyd fan as I am, I don't want to see it. I would go in an instant if he was doing Amused to Death with a few classic Pink Floyd songs thrown in, like Gilmour did with Gdnansk.

I would say Rush, just because the experience isn't complete without the rest of the band. It doesn't matter how big of a wall they build for the show, but it would be hard to top the one in Berlin.

If the remaining members of Pink Floyd joined with Roger, it would be huge (remember Live 8)

Animals is a fan fav....nothing beats Dark Side though. Historically, one of the best rock albums ever produced.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 12 2010, 04:28 PM)
No contest, step into the TIME MACHINE!!! I like Dark Side, Animals and WYWE, but the Wall is dreadful, self-indulgent and depressing-PASS. (im already ducking from the flamers!)

No need to duck from me. The wall is "cool" and all, but tiresome, and turns into dribble! Blah, blah...wah, wah...got it! Move on! And, while I think that U2 is cool, they can't hold a candle to Rush!! biggrin.gif Rush are GODS walking in the flesh! Yes, I am biased! Yes, I am one of "those" fans who will buy anything they put out! AND I AM NOT ASHAMED!! 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Score Out @ May 13 2010, 07:49 PM)
a band that hasn't put out any truly relevent music in more than a decade, maybe 2 decades, trying to cash in on past glory, an old album.

This would seem to pretty adequately describe BOTH tours, don't ya think? smile.gif

I knew I was opening myself up for a comment like that. And yes, it's true. But look at all the material released AFTER M.P. that they always play. I think it's pretty obvious that Rush loves to make new music and loves to play that new music. Unfortunately it's some of their "classic" music that gets a large portion of the audience to their shows. But their true love (and mine) always seems to be their latest material. That's the difference between a Rush tour and a Wall tour.

That new material is always my favorite part of a Rush concert. Of course, it was that new material that seemed to be the source of most of the complaints last tour too. So many people said they played too many S&A songs. I was one of the few that wished they would have played more, if not all of S&A. This tour I'm going to be sure NOT to listen to any new releases until I see them lie in Vegas. I already know those new songs will be the highlight of the show for me. Although Camera Eye will be quite a thrill wink.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 12 2010, 02:28 PM)
No contest, step into the TIME MACHINE!!! I like Dark Side, Animals and WYWE, but the Wall is dreadful, self-indulgent and depressing-PASS. (im already ducking from the flamers!)

+1

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 13 2010, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 13 2010, 11:18 PM)
Let's see........

vs

Animals is a fan fav....nothing beats Dark Side though. Historically, one of the best rock albums ever produced.

Agree that overall Dark Side is the masterpiece. But my personal favorite is Animals, cant get enough of that album! Favorite part of Roger's DSOTM tour was when he did Sheep.

Dark Side is actually my least favourite out of the fab 4. My order goes:

Wish You Were Here

The Wall

Animals

Dark Side of the Moon

The first side of the album is class, yet the second half leaves way too much to be desired. Money is decent, yet it doesn't fit into the rest of the album's tone and theme.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ May 14 2010, 08:58 AM)
Dark Side is actually my least favourite out of the fab 4. My order goes:

Wish You Were Here
The Wall
Animals
Dark Side of the Moon

The first side of the album is class, yet the second half leaves way too much to be desired. Money is decent, yet it doesn't fit into the rest of the album's tone and theme.

My Floyd fab four would be Animals, Wish, DSOTM, and Meddle.

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ May 14 2010, 12:56 PM)
For me this one is easy: Time Machine.

I like quite a few of Pink Floyd's songs, but I'm not a hardcore fan.  And  this isn't even Floyd.. it's a greedy egotist with some hired guns.

Same here. There is some Floyd I like, but I'll take Gilmour over Waters any day. (Frankly I think Gilmour is truly all-around the better musician).

I like a lot of The Wall. But an entire album dedicated to Roger Waters' personal angst and deep-seated psychological issues gets a little tiresome after a listen or two. It's one of those recordings I only listen to MAYBE once/year.

Edited by Mara

While I have no problem with people saying they'd rather see Rush than Roger Waters, what I cannot tolerate is people who make stupid statements like Gilmour pwns Waters, or Gilmour is a better musician. This is ignorant shiite at its finest.

Roger Waters was the founder and creative leader of Pink Floyd. That is a FACT. He conceptualized their albums and wrote the majority of the music, and ALL of the lyrics. That is a FACT. He wrote most of music and all of the lyrics for The Wall by himself. That is a FACT too. Just because he plays bass and doesn't play fancy guitar solos doesn't make him less of a musician. Roger Waters was the biggest reason for Pink Floyd's success, and without him you wouldn't even know who David Gilmour was. So the next time you go to see David Gilmour be sure to remember that many of the songs that he's playing and singing, were not written by him.

I'm just saying, I can like David Gilmour if I want. I shouldn't have to worry about people calling me ignorant or stupid due to my preference. I didn't realize that was tolerated around here. If you want to go see Roger Waters, then GREAT. I'm not going to hold you back or criticize you for that preference and while my initial statement was quite biased, I felt it was harmless as well. Some people just get too caught up in their own opinions and think everyone else should feel the same way they do. Yes, Roger Waters is a great musician (I guess its a 'FACT'... lol) but I was only saying I'd rather see Mr. Gilmour. I think he plays some amazing guitar. My apologies if I offended any Waters fans. Gotta tread lightly around here I guess...

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 14 2010, 10:30 PM)
I'm just saying, I can like David Gilmour if I want. I shouldn't have to worry about people calling me ignorant or stupid due to my preference. I didn't realize that was tolerated around here. If you want to go see Roger Waters, then GREAT. I'm not going to hold you back or criticize you for that preference and while my initial statement was quite biased, I felt it was harmless as well. Some people just get too caught up in their own opinions and think everyone else should feel the same way they do. Yes, Roger Waters is a great musician (I guess its a 'FACT'... lol) but I was only saying I'd rather see Mr. Gilmour. I think he plays some amazing guitar. My apologies if I offended any Waters fans. Gotta tread lightly around here I guess...

goodpost.gif

What else to say?

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 14 2010, 04:30 PM)

Nah, dont tread lightly, give it as good as you get it! yes.gif

This is probably the wrong thread or maybe even website for this, but the original topic stated RUSH or Waters' Wall. The Wall is Pink Floyd. I have heard a few references to Pink Floyd regarding Roger's Wall. Roger Waters is NOT Pink Floyd. David Gilmour is NOT Pink Floyd. Division Bell, a great album, should not have been labeled Pink Floyd. I guess they both have the rights to the Name. Out of respect for the Waters/Gilmour work, Richard Wright, Nick Mason, the Fans, and even Syd, they and we should only use the Pink Floyd name when all surviving members are involved. Edited by WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

Yes, Rogers Waters is not Pink Floyd without Gilmour, but anyone who is carping about this fact hasn't seen Roger Waters do the Dark Side Of The Moon show as I did in 2007-2008. This show was THE BEST show I've ever seen. I've seen over 200 concerts including Rush on every tour since Presto and this one topped them all!

A buddy of mine was so enthusiastic about this Dark Side show that he wanted to see the show again after he'd seen it in Toronto the first time around (he wound up seeing the show 10 TIMES in various places). So we went on a wild trip to see the Dark Side show 3 times in one week - in Quebec City (THE *BEST* SHOW BOTH OF US HAVE EVER SEEN - the crowd was SO into it and it really egged the banded on for a pristine performance - the roar of the crowd was deafening plus we were on pot, mushrooms + alcohol :>). We also saw the show in Ottawa and Montreal the same week. For Quebec City we had 6th row floor centre seats, for Ottawa we had 2nd row floor DEAD centre seats, and Montreal 7th row floor off centre. We got all these seats through eBay at face value at $150 a pop which was face value at the time.

The Waters Dark Side show was ***SO*** great visually and musically. I saw Pink Floyd back in 1994 and I can tell you this Waters Dark Side show TOPPED it in terms of visuals, and it's a TALL order to top a Pink Floyd show for visuals/pyrotechnics. It's not a big deal that Gilmour or Wright aren't there for the Waters shows - Jon Carin was on this Dark Side tour, as he most likely will for this Wall tour, and Carin can sing much like Gilmour. Jon Carin has toured with both Floyd and Waters before the Dark Side tour, most notably on Floyd's 1987-1989 tour immortalized on Delicate Sound Of Thunder live album, one of my fave live albums of all time. In fact, Delicate + Show Of Hands were the first CDs I ever bought.

All of the ticket brokers selling for the Toronto have a super hard on for the Wall show. They are now trying to get $3000-$4500 for a pair of the top seats on eBay. What a bunch of goddamn greedy scumbags! They're not going to be able to get anywhere near those prices because a) there are 3 Wall shows booked in Toronto at an 18000 capacity arena and (more importantly) cool.gif it's Roger Waters, not Pink Floyd. Floyd is a much better selling brand than Waters. The most I've seen tickets sold for on eBay to date for this show is $400 a ticket for about row 20 or seats in the close stands.

So just wait to buy tickets for this show, wherever you are. Do like I did and keep checking the eBay listings 1-3 weeks before the show and (at least for Ottawa and Quebec) you'll get top seats for a sane price. I bought the 2nd row dead centre floor seats for the Ottawa Dark Side show about a week before the show along with the other top notch seats I got through eBay.

With all that said, I'm sure The Wall will be a great show, whatever seat you have! Be sure to check it out, even if you have to shell out a couple hundred bucks per seat!

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 12 2010, 02:25 PM)
This is turning out to be a great year for tours! Rush, U2, The Wall!

Anyway vote your mind and leave your thoughts!

confused13.gif

I'm going to all three dude. Rush, U2 and Waters.

It has to be RUSH though!!

No contest.

Signed,

"The Camera Eye" trink39.gif