Favorite MOMENTS within a Rush song

Presto-digitation

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what guys--

I'll bet Rush is one of the only bands that you can do this sort of an exercise with. I love so many bands: Zeppelin, Floyd, The Who etc.... they just don't have that many songs that when you hear a certain section in the song it makes you secretly smile, or feel a warmth thru you.

Pretty much every thing anyone has written in this thread is the reason why not a single band in history compares to these three guys IMHO.

Great Thread!

The outro to Countdown. The one that still gets me every time. For the most part though it's "Frozen in that fatal climb..." I love that section. One of the strongest Rush songs melodically.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Apr 15 2010, 11:08 AM)
I'll bet Rush is one of the only bands that you can do this sort of an exercise with. I love so many bands: Zeppelin, Floyd, The Who etc.... they just don't have that many songs that when you hear a certain section in the song it makes you secretly smile, or feel a warmth thru you.

I think Pink Floyd must rank up there - they are so much more slef-indulgent than Rush

Listen to the track "Echoes" from Meddle - it's a lot like By-Tor with an eerie almost silent section that builds back to full force. Also Sheep from Animals has a lot of little passages that make you cringe uncontrolably ..

Loads on DSOTM

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 15 2010, 09:17 AM)
I love the last chorus of Grand Designs and the "whoa!" that leads into the outro. His vox were SO good on that album.

yes.gif Great part!

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Apr 14 2010, 04:12 PM)
  • Marathon: The bridge section and solo from 2:54 to 4:48. To me, it is musical perfection. I also love the synth at 4:38 (after "first you've got to last").
  • La Villa Strangiato: The section: 'A Lerxst In Strangiato' from 3:17 to 5:49. Love the quiet section which builds in intensity to that scorching solo!
  • Cygnus X-1 (Book 1): The outro from 9:42 until the end of the song. I just love those ominous-sounding clean chords.
  • Afterimage: The instrumental break from 2:23 to 3:16. Awesome.
  • The Pass: The part after the first chorus from 1:37 to 1:54. I love all the sonic effects during that section. Another part that always gives me chills is when Geddy sings, "It's not as if you're all alone in wanting to explode." I don't know, it's just something about how he sings that lyric that really moves me.
  • Totem: The solo section from 2:58 to 3:23. Just a great part!
  • Subdivisions: The last verse from 3:05 to 3:32. Love that verse, especially the last line: "Some where out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."
There's tons more, I know it.

goodpost.gif

Dude...excellent post. I think you pretty much listed alot of my fav's right there. trink39.gif

The synth at the end of "Animate."

Of course, the synth solo after the chorus' in "Subdivisions."

The odd-time jam after the synth solo in "Countdown."

The bass in "The Big Money," not a "moment," but pure perfection.

The synth breakdown in "Middletown Dreams."

Alex's solo at the beginning of "Emotion Detector."

That one giant bass note that kicks in after the crowd noise in "Force Ten."

The bassline between chorus one and verse two of "Prime Mover."

The rap in "Roll the Bones" (I can't be the only one who likes it!)

"On the edge of sleep..." during "Double Agent"...

...Just for starters wink.gif

So many...

Both of these are from Different Stages, disc. 2:

Analog Kid:

"Fawn eyed girl with sun brown legs dances on the edge of his dream...and her voice rings in his ears, like the music of the spheres"

Such vivid imagery in these lines. Makes me feel like a young guy again. The music is intense and feels like its going to burst out of the speakers. (especially right after "spheres")

Just like the boy who is so restless with his thoughts that he just can't sit still.

Natural Science:

Right at the 7:07 mark, heading into the finale. Everything is so synchronized and precise. Feels like riding a bullet train to the end of this epic song.

QUOTE (theguyincygnusx1 @ Apr 15 2010, 10:02 PM)
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one...I LOVE the bridge on Limelight right after the guitar solo. Hearing it live gives me goosebumps every time.

Oh, yes! I love that part -- the solo section is amazing, and when Alex hits that harmonic and goes back into those arpeggios.... MUSIC-GASM! 1022.gif

Edited by Show Don't Tell

The part in Hemispheres right after

I see the gods in battle rage on high...

Thunderbolts across the sky...

I cannot move, I cannot hide...

I feel a silent scream begin inside...

It goes totally quiet for a few seconds and then

Then all at once the chaos ceased

A stillness fell, a sudden peace

The warriors felt my silent cry

And stayed their struggle, mystified

The part in Alex's solo on Free Will where he's switching between chords and single notes. On Rush in Rio the crowd is bowing to him in a "We're not worthy" fashion. Classic.

• Marathon: The bridge section and solo from 2:54 to 4:48. To me, it is musical perfection. I also love the synth at 4:38 (after "first you've got to last").
  • La Villa Strangiato: The section: 'A Lerxst In Strangiato' from 3:17 to 5:49. Love the quiet section which builds in intensity to that scorching solo!
  • Cygnus X-1 (Book 1): The outro from 9:42 until the end of the song. I just love those ominous-sounding clean chords.
  • The Pass: The part after the first chorus from 1:37 to 1:54. I love all the sonic effects during that section. Another part that always gives me chills is when Geddy sings, "It's not as if you're all alone in wanting to explode." I don't know, it's just something about how he sings that lyric that really moves me.
  • Subdivisions: The last verse from 3:05 to 3:32. Love that verse, especially the last line: "Some where out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

Agree COMPLETELY on the Subdivisions part you highlight - gets me every time!! trink39.gif

This is what I LOVE about this Forum--it seems like every day somebody brings up a topic that tosses me right back and immerses me in the sounds and scents of the original times I listened to these songs. It's mind blowing how . . . evocative these memories are. I guess this is why people 20 years older than me are nuts about a group like the Beatles . . . same thing for them. Of course we're luckier, because our boys are still producing great music and showing themselves every few years on tour.

I love reading everyone's suggestions of faves . . . they make me want to race to the stereo and listen again, paying special attention to the parts you've pointed out.

Territories is over 190 bpm.

How many genres *ever* are that fast? Drum and bass is chaotic, but somehow Rush maintains smoothness over the urgency (grace under pressure?)...

Think about it. From the frigid north, Rush has almost always been quite fast. That's what's a bit of a letdown with T4E and S&A.... they're too slow...

The many moments in Territories alone are thanks not only to musicianship, and productions, but also a quick tempo....

...just sayin'...

Directly after the first line of the second time Ged sings the chorus in Digital Man. ("He'd like to spend the night in Zion") There's this little cowbell rattle. Dear God. I absolutely LOVE it. I have to tap it out on an air-cowbell ( laugh.gif ) every time I hear it. Edited by proudlyrushian

I'll second the La Villa section, especially on Exit Stage Left... just scorching.

Also, the 2nd solo section on Bravado on RiR, just brilliant.