Favorite MOMENTS within a Rush song

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (KennethRush @ May 19 2010, 02:44 PM)
The way Geddy sings during the verses of Faithless:
Everything during those parts is awesome.

"And all the preaching voices -
Empty vessels ring so loud
As they move among the crowd
Fools and thieves are well disguised
In the temple and market place"

"And all the shouting voices
Try to throw me off my course
Some by sermon, some by force
Fools and thieves are dangerous
In the temple and market place"

I was thinking of that today, I love it biggrin.gif

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the RIR performance of Secret Touch. While I don't think it's a great song per se, the part towards the end where the guitar kicks into that awesome riff in the 'breakdown' part of the song is just KILLER. You can just feel the emotion of that moment. Love it.

I'll take a stab at this...but it's impossible to list 'em all:

"offfffff SALESmen!!"

"Attention all planets of the Solar Federation...we have assumed control"

The intro of Xanadu, particularly the main guitar riff

Alex's solo in Kid Gloves

The SCTV reference in Red Lenses: "...says the National Midnight Star...It's true!"

final verse of Mission: "It's cold comfort..." (someone else mentioned this one earlier) I produced a music video using "Mission" years ago for the sports show I was hosting...highlights of Mississippi State's improbable run to the Final Four in 1996. I matched footage of the players consoling each other at the end of the loss to Syracuse that ended their season with this verse. It got to me then and it still does today.

4:22 of Bravest Face: "In the whole wide world there's no magical place..."

5:34 of Digital Man from S&A live as Geddy's bass kicks off the jam

Another live moment: the HUGE power chords that transition from Xanadu to Working Man on R30

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ May 24 2010, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ May 24 2010, 09:16 AM)
Geddy's vocals in the main monkey buisness
The fast bass line in subdivisions before "SUBDIVISIONS: in the high school halls"

umm.. wacko.gif

"ooo oooo oooooo"

"ooo wooo oooooo"

"ooo wooo ooo..."

Here's a more hidden moment that I have always loved. It is not even musical. Old school fans should know it.

On All The World's A Stage - Near the end of Bastille Day....when the fan clearly yells "Right On". His voice and moment is recorded in history.

Double Agent:

The way Geddy says "bound up and wound up so tight"

Far Cry:

When Alex hits the C note, (@ 0:22 and other times..) I love the pitch, I think he might use a pitch harmonic there but probably not

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 14 2010, 12:58 PM)
The solo section of the Trees gets me everytime, makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

"Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware"

That sends shivers down my spine. Thoughts of riding the motorcycle through the winding back-roads.

cool.gif

Another one that moves me is...

"To you, is it movement or is it action?

Is it contact or just reaction?

And you...revolution or just resistance?

Is it living, or just existence?

Yeah, you! It takes a little more persistence

To get up and go the distance"

Edited by EveryNerveAware

Bastille Day : The end of it, where it plays the chorus riff over again slowly until the guitar, bass and drums end on a simultaneous blast

Cygnus X1 Book 1 "Spinning, swirling, still descending, like a spiral sea unending!" Geddy's scream, followed by the threatening riff immediately after it. It feels like you're watching a movie when you hear this

Cygnus X1 Book 2 That musical interlude at the end just before the acoustic outro of hemispheres. It feels like I'm on a pirate ship every time I hear it.. lol

I adore Geddy's voice and especially melt every time he scoops into the word "love" on Bravado; particularly at this point:

All the hope and glory

All the sacrifice in vain

If love remains....

Alex's solo on Working Man also drives me wild and am surprised it hasn't been mentioned more often.

Went through the iTunes library and this is what I could come up with off the top of my head, looking at the songs.

Force Ten - "Rising, falling at Force Ten/We twist the world and ride the wind."

Caravan - The first chorus break, with the extended musical part before Geddy starts singing "I can't stop thinking big." That got me from the start.

Xanadu - After Neil finishes messing around with the bells, when everyone comes in at the unified guitar riff.

The Body Electric - The bridge always does it for me. "It replays each of the days/A hundred years of routines."

Between The Wheels - You know in the second chorus live, how Geddy belts the "like a windshield towards a fly" lyric? I like the first chorus when he just sings with the flow. That moment always gave me chills, for some reason.

Hemispheres - The part with the bells at the very beginning.

Lock And Key - The first chorus. 'Nuff said.

YYZ - The part in the middle with the dueling drum solos and bass solos. Gets me every time.

Vital Signs - The end.

Grand Designs - The fast-synth part at 2:15 (roughly). Probably one of my favorite "moments" of all time.

Scars - When the guitar joins with the groove of the sequencer at the end of the song, and Geddy starts singing "Pleasures leave a fingerprint/As surely as mortal pain." Didn't see it coming when I first heard it.

Digital Man ...no really, the whole thing does it for me.

The Main Monkey Business - The heavy breakdown, guitar solo, and return to the breakdown (2:27 - 3:40). It's just insane, from the thunderous bass to the wicked guitar to the intense high-hat work by Neil on the return. Great stuff.

Totem - The first chorus, with the extended introduction to it. "Angels and demons dancing in my head/Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed." That's a great lyric.

Ghost Rider - That drum fill before the second chorus, from 3:26 to 3:31. When you hear the guitar riff you expect the drum fill to be like the one prior to the first chorus, but this one's just quick and drives you right where you need to be. It's awesome.