Favorite MOMENTS within a Rush song

Presto-digitation

Yeah, I know...familiar topic dredged up yet again. (What else is new??) tongue.gif

So put TODAY's thinking cap on and tell us all about some of your favorite moments from a Rush song.

I'm going to start with a couple odder choices, since it's a bit easier to pinpoint great moments in pretty well fan-accepted "great" songs.

Mission: From the "It's cold comfort..." line through the outro solo. I just love this part of the song. I love all of it, but this part gives me a big chill....every time! It's just so perfectly written and executed, from the drop in tone to the final build through fade out. Brilliant.

Good News First: Ahh, the song that everyone loves to hate. I like it myself, but I utterly love the part where the melotron kicks in. I love the melody and the groove of the melotron. The vocal harmonies are great, as well as the echoes on "well I do..." Maybe the single most melodic moment on all of Snakes & Arrows.

Malignant Narcissism: Ok, it's just a literal "moment," but I really dig that last (of 2) Geddy flourish, with that fretless slide. I also really like the sonic mood created by that quiet middle section with the Team America dialogue.

...and of course endless other moments as well. What are yours?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always mention these two drum fills in "The Camera Eye." It's essentially the same fill played twice, once for each city's part. I think it was supposed to be the exact same fill, and that Neil nailed it the second time - that the second pass is the way it was MEANT to be played. The first time, however, sounds cooler - as if Neil falls behind in playing it and then has to hurry through the rest of it in order to catch up to where he's "supposed" to be. It sounds awesome!

You can hear it in the song at:

2:40-2:43. The "New York" drum fill; the one which I think is "played incorrectly" but sounds cooler.

6:53-6:56. The "London" drum fill; the one which I think is "correct" but not as cool-sounding. Note the similarity to the first fill.

Mission: "obsession has to have action, pride turns on the drive"

Between the Wheels: "struck between the eyes by the big time world, walking uneasy streets, hiding beneath the sheets, got to try and fill the void". Also, the way the song fades out as if it's a car whizzing by where the sound of the motor goes down.

Turn the Page: "we disengage, we turn the page", the building climax towards the end and then the synth that closes out the song.

Subdivisions: the opening synthesizer. "somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets and quiet nights".

Chemistry: the closing guitar solo which was recorded outdoors in the mountains.

the Camera Eye: the beginning buildup and the climax at the end of the song.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 14 2010, 10:20 AM)

Mission: From the "It's cold comfort..." line through the outro solo.  I just love this part of the song.  I love all of it, but this part gives me a big chill....every time!  It's just so perfectly written and executed, from the drop in tone to the final build through fade out. Brilliant.

Good News First:  Ahh, the song that everyone loves to hate.  I like it myself, but I utterly love the part where the melotron kicks in.  I love the melody and the groove of the melotron.  The vocal harmonies are great, as well as the echoes on "well I do..."  Maybe the single most melodic moment on all of Snakes & Arrows.

I couldn't agree more on these two exact parts of the songs! In fact, they both came to mind as soon as I saw your topic! cosmo.gif

Two other really favorite moments:

Bravado: From 2:34 to 2:53 I get chills everytime I hear that part. I know it's not complex musically or anything like that. To me, the lyrics, music, and vocals in this song come together better than any other song I've ever heard in my life. And while I'm not able to really explain why, all I can say is that tiny, simple little part of the song has brought a tear to my eye more than once.

How It Is: From 2:38 to 3:15, it's a very similar situation to Bravado. I love the whole song, but this part pulls the lyrics, music, and vocals together brilliantly. This song got me through some tough times and it was this part in particular that, for some reason, really spoke to me and for a brief time gave me some peace.

YYZ: the synth part in der middle of it. I LOVE IT. biggrin.gif

2112: "Just think of what my life..."

these are two moments out of many others I just can't think of right now, where I HAVE TO turn the volume up....

The middle of Circumstances - ding ding ding ding ding ding xylophone, glockenspiel, whatever, with the organ in the backround sort of like a circus, or like snow falling really mellow lalala, and then -

BASH bap bap bap BASH bap bap bap BASH --- destruction, avalanche, fill in the blank. I could listen to a loop of that section for hours. Very cool.

QUOTE (librarian @ Apr 14 2010, 12:33 PM)
The middle of Circumstances - ding ding ding ding ding ding xylophone, glockenspiel, whatever, with the organ in the backround sort of like a circus, or like snow falling really mellow lalala, and then -
BASH bap bap bap BASH bap bap bap BASH --- destruction, avalanche, fill in the blank. I could listen to a loop of that section for hours. Very cool.

That description is as entertaining as the song itself...! trink39.gif

The transition to the Permanent Waves section in Natural Science...

The part when all of the instruments come together at the beginning of The Camera Eye

The intro and ending of Xanadu on the recorded version of the track

The transition part of Cygnus X-1: Book 1 when Geddy starts to sing "I set a course just east of Lyra..."

The Prince By-Tor Part of The Necromancer

Bacchus Plateau to the very end of The Fountain of Lamneth

The chorus of Chain Lightning

The part where Geddy starts singing to La Villa Strangiato in Exit Stage Left...

The part right after the classical guitar intro to La Villa Strangiato

The part of Superconductor when the choir "Aahhs" pop in

The intro to Analog Kid and the Guitar solo in Analog Kid

The intrumental in Show Don't Tell

I think I could think of a bazillion more... 2.gif

When the music drops out and Geddy belts "Flying out of the shockwave...!" in "Manhattan Project." It makes the song, turning an "okay" song into a good one. I know I'm not the only one who loves this.

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ Apr 14 2010, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 14 2010, 03:23 PM)
When the music drops out and Geddy belts "Flying out of the shockwave...!" in "Manhattan Project."  It makes the song, turning an "okay" song into a good one.  I know I'm not the only one who loves this.

goodpost.gif That part gives me chills every time, especially on the live album smile.gif

X2

• Marathon: The bridge section and solo from 2:54 to 4:48. To me, it is musical perfection. I also love the synth at 4:38 (after "first you've got to last").
  • La Villa Strangiato: The section: 'A Lerxst In Strangiato' from 3:17 to 5:49. Love the quiet section which builds in intensity to that scorching solo!
  • Cygnus X-1 (Book 1): The outro from 9:42 until the end of the song. I just love those ominous-sounding clean chords.
  • Afterimage: The instrumental break from 2:23 to 3:16. Awesome.
  • The Pass: The part after the first chorus from 1:37 to 1:54. I love all the sonic effects during that section. Another part that always gives me chills is when Geddy sings, "It's not as if you're all alone in wanting to explode." I don't know, it's just something about how he sings that lyric that really moves me.
  • Totem: The solo section from 2:58 to 3:23. Just a great part!
  • Subdivisions: The last verse from 3:05 to 3:32. Love that verse, especially the last line: "Some where out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."
There's tons more, I know it.

6:46-6:45 La Villa Its the part just before the guitar solo where it almost sounds like Neil is stuttering on the bass drum. The song nearly comes to a stop then explodes into the solo. I love it.

3:03-3:13 Freewill The part where its just Geddy and the synth. Geddy is tearing it up on bass just before the solo. I love how it gets quiet and builds anticipation for the amazing solo section. Which in itself I should include on this list.

0:00-1:59 Countdown I love how the song slowly builds up with anticipation with the synth and white hot guitar chord drop ins.then finally at 1:59 Geddy rolls in like thunder with his bass.

Edited by Xanadude69