Favorite MOMENTS within a Rush song

Presto-digitation

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few of mine:

Geddy's vocals after the Freewill solo. So powerful!

The synth part in Xanadu, after "Xan-a-duuuuu!"

The bass-guitar solo in The Spirit of Radio, before the 'reggae' part and after the second chorus. Loads of fun with time signatures there!

The woodblock (or whatever it is) and synth part from The Trees. Love that. Also the way it builds up to the solo from there.

And the end of Cygnus X-1, when they lose control of the ship, is just awesome.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 14 2010, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 14 2010, 03:23 PM)
When the music drops out and Geddy belts "Flying out of the shockwave...!" in "Manhattan Project."  It makes the song, turning an "okay" song into a good one.  I know I'm not the only one who loves this.

goodpost.gif That part gives me chills every time, especially on the live album smile.gif

yes.gif

I also love the "Pow pow pow POUNDING in your temples" from Enemy Within

I mentioned it in another thread, but Alex's guitar solo in "Kids Gloves," where he's just shredding shredding shredding and then it goes in this different direction and all of a sudden it soars right into the chorus again.

Listen to it in the car sometime and see if maintaining the posted speed limit is a problem. (See also: Barechetta, Red after the line "Every nerve aware!")

I just found one that I love!

In all places, it's in "Open Secrets"

The breakdown from 2:51 to 3:32 is just brilliant.....

I find no absolution

In my rational point of view

Maybe some things are instinctive

But there's one thing we can do

You can try to understand me

I can try to understand you

You can try to understand me

I can try to understand you

applaudit.gif

Favorite moments? There are so many! wub.gif

~ Like briremo, I absolutely love the guitar solo in "Mission," which is my favorite song from Hold Your Fire. The solo alone is worth listening to the song; I always get chills.

~ The guitar solo in "La Villa Strangiato," especially the Rush in Rio performance. Oh, my Ged... ohmy.gif

~ Geddy, Alex and Neil's individual solos in "Free Will," after the second chorus.

~ The passion and intensity of the final two minutes of "2112." A grand finale, indeed. 1022.gif

~ The bridge in "Everyday Glory," which begins with "If the future's looking dark..." So beautiful.

~ The final verses of "Losing It," before Alex's solo. Geddy sings beautifully, as he does in every song.

~ Live performances of "Nobody's Hero," where Geddy sings the final line and the stage fades to black.

~ The quiet bridge in "Resist," when it's only Geddy's voice and an acoustic guitar.

I love this band so much! heart.gif

AlexFinal.gif 2 of my favorites ( among thousands)

1) Limelight (When Alex goes into that unique

abstract solo...that just flat out kicks A**

2) Presto ( When all 3 kick it into another level,

and just SERIOUSLY ROCK IT to no end!

..No matter what era your into, RUSH ROCKS!!!!

2112 - the transition into Priests, after "And the meek...", when that galloping beat begins.

The Trees - after the instrumental break, when Alex does those little staccato guitar bits.

La Villa Strangiato - the first time the Strangiato theme is played; Waltz of the Shreve; A Farewell To Things

The Spirit Of Radio - that arepggio!! After the break, the sudden change back to the original key/time before the reggae bit.

Freewill - that two beat bounce in the chorus

Natural Science - the transition from Tide Pools to Hyperspace

Tom Sawyer - "... changes aren't permanent, but change is..." one of my favorite Rush phrases.

YYZ - that awesome bass break... you know, the one with the harmonics?!

The Anagram Kid - "You move me..." when those Taurus pedals come in... wow!

Red Sector A - the way Geddy sings "... prayer to profanity..." (actually this is one of Ged's best vocals, IMO)

Kid Gloves - That riff! Can't get it out of my head.

Force Ten - the drums at beginning and end

Time Stand Still - the first time the keyboard hook is played (that Aimee Man then sings). So plaintive.

Anagram - the piano break

Presto - the guitar solo and the drum bit just at the end of it

Hand Over Fist - the guitar at the beginning and the solo; "... feel the world expand..."

Available Light - The ending; "I'll go with the wind, I'll stand in the light..."

Roll The Bones - the bass break just before the "organ" keys come in; the BEAT POETRY (it's not a rap)

Ghost Of A Chance - those tasty guitar licks at the end

Heresy - That last verse. Baby boomers like me really get it on a visceral level: "All the crap we had to take..."

Leave That Thing Alone! - the 2nd time the guitar phrase plays, the drums... floor tom to high-pitched tom

Cut To The Chase - when that grungy guitar comes in -- kick ass!

One Little Victory - the shuffle drum beat; "One little victo-reeeeeeeeeee.."

Far Cry - "... one day I fly through a hole in the sky..."; those thundering drums at the end!

BU2B - The way Geddy puts across the sarcasm in "... loves us all to death."

Caravan - the instrumental section with those deep, pounding drums.

That's it for now..

I started a similar thread last October: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...c=60254&hl=spot

There's some great responses there, too.

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 22 2011, 03:33 AM)
2112 - the transition into Priests, after "And the meek...", when that galloping beat begins.

1022.gif

The Trees - after the instrumental break, when Alex does those little staccato guitar bits.

wub.gif

La Villa Strangiato - the first time the Strangiato theme is played; Waltz of the Shreve; A Farewell To Things

yes.gif As well as Monsters (reprise) > Strangiato Theme (Reprise)

The Spirit Of Radio - that arepggio!! After the break, the sudden change back to the original key/time before the reggae bit.
Freewill - that two beat bounce in the chorus
Natural Science - the transition from Tide Pools to Hyperspace

All of these are good too.

Tom Sawyer - "... changes aren't permanent, but change is..." one of my favorite Rush phrases.
YYZ - that awesome bass break... you know, the one with the harmonics?!

1022.gif Awesome!

Red Sector A - the way Geddy sings "... prayer to profanity..." (actually this is one of Ged's best vocals, IMO)

Wow, yes. wub.gif That voice just gives me chills.

Time Stand Still - the first time the keyboard hook is played (that Aimee Man then sings). So plaintive.

yes.gif Great song!

Presto - the guitar solo and the drum bit just at the end of it
Hand Over Fist - the guitar at the beginning and the solo; "... feel the world expand..."
Available Light - The ending; "I'll go with the wind, I'll stand in the light..."

goodpost.gif I love those parts.

Roll The Bones - the bass break just before the "organ" keys come in; the BEAT POETRY (it's not a rap)

cool.gif I love the rap, too. The music video of the rapping skeleton is hilarious. z7shysterical.gif

Leave That Thing Alone! - the 2nd time the guitar phrase plays, the drums... floor tom to high-pitched tom
Cut To The Chase - when that grungy guitar comes in -- kick ass!

653.gif Great album...

One Little Victory - the shuffle drum beat; "One little victo-reeeeeeeeeee.."

cool10.gif I don't understand the hate for this song. It truly rocks. 1022.gif

Far Cry - "... one day I fly through a hole in the sky..."; those thundering drums at the end!

Far Cry is an awesome song. I love it smile.gif

All the ones I quoted were some of my favorite moments, too. smile.gif goodpost.gif

trink39.gif 1022.gif 2.gif biggrin.gif