Best Job: Worst Job

Sonatine

Worst Job - Making picture frames as part of a Youth Training Scheme 20 odd years ago. My first and worst job. Bored the hell out of me after the first day, but stuck with it for another 6 months before walking out.

Best Job - IT Systems Analyst (current job): great job, satisfying, good pay & benefits. Hard, challenging work, long hours, but great bunch of co-workers to share the trials & tribulations using Oracle & Microsoft products.

worst job:

waitressing in a new Greek restaurant. The owner couldn't speak English that well. I quit after 1 shift.

Best job:

My current one: Teaching first grade. Great kids, involved parents, and latitude to tweak the curriculum to make it work for my students.

smile.gif

worst: tie between working at the Sheraton Hotel in my hometown as a busboy in the restaurant during my senior year.

Or it was working at Goody's clothing store where my female manager was a female chauvinist pig. There were no redeeming qualities in male employees as far as she was concerned.

best: working at an architectural firm in Boston.

Worst: Retail in a shopping mall, especially bad at Christmas

Best: Last job I had in the real estate/title/finance industry, got laid off about a year ago from that job. Now I work in the mortgage side of banking, not so great.

Worst: several contenders, but I would have to say mall retail. I hate shopping, and I hate malls, and I hate being in customer service where you have to be nice and patient and helpful to a steady stream of assholes and idiots.

Best: Homebuilder. Loved it. Won't go back to it, though, because it's too stressful to always be worrying about whether the market will hold when it's good or improve when it's bad. My current job is pretty cool, too!

I had one job that could be both the best and worst job... working in an automotive wrecking yard.

The bad- WEATHER! If it's 35 and raining and you have to crawl underneath a truck and pull out and axle, yer gonna get wet. They were late on their pay sometimes if they didn't have enough money. I developed a bad back and shoulder because it's physically abusive (though I did put on about a dozen pounds of muscle.)

The good- ...What guy doesn't like tearing stuff apart? I had times where for days on end I could go home with absolutely no stress on my mind. laugh.gif Pay was decent.

Worst job: Dragging Christmas trees on a tree farm in Shelton, WA. Very cold, very wet, and grueling work.

Best job: What I'm doing right now. Back teaching kids after a couple of years on the professional development circuit. Great fun and very rewarding personally.

Worst: Tie between offering pool passes to wealthy town members over the summer; or working in my father's music shop when I was 14 and knew nothing about musical instruments. I was paid under the table but felt like an idiot all the time with customers..

Best: Actually an internship. I was a conservation intern at the Frick Art and Reference Library down in NYC for a month. I loved the work, the place was prestigious and it did wonders for my resume. Plus it was in the city so after work, it was fun fun fun!

Best Job- messenger in N.Y.C. when i was like 17. I got to see all of N.Y. a lot of woman wub.gif and was outdoors all the time

Worst job - messenger in N.Y.C. the pay was the pits for working long day's . Thank god i got an union job the next year

Best: Mom

Worst: File Clerk, Manchester Mental Health...

My current job is pretty awesome, mostly because I only work 23 weeks/year.

Worst job?............working in nightclubs was pretty lame.

Best: Gary's Drive In...a small restaurant/diner type place. I was there for 3 years and I really loved it. Great hours, awesome food, and I got to work with my Mom (*Presto*).

Worst: Supercuts! Ugh. Lasted 3 days. wacko.gif

Hopefully my next job will be my new best.

Best job: Interbay Funding. I was a commerical loan officer for a direct lender. They closed our satellite branch and I didn't want to move to Philadelphia. I came close to moving though.

Worst job: Landscaping. I worked for a landscaping company during the summers in high school. Working in the Texas heat would always drop my weight 15 to 20 lbs for the weigh-ins at the beginning of two-a-days.

My oldest brother's first job was a grave digger laugh.gif

My old boss's first job was working in a slaughter house rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Best: Editor for a sports publication. Heavy elbow rubbing with big name Cowboys and Stars players. Mickey Spagnola, Norm Hitzges and Skip Bayless were our main writers. Mostly nice guys. Hitzges was a big baby, though.

Worst: Cleaning houses. People are GROSS!!!!! 062802puke_prv.gif

I have you all beat on the worse job. While at the University of Nebraska, I worked for the entomology department raising fly maggots for a research project. And it was every bit as disgusting as it sounds. 062802puke_prv.gif

While in high school I did work as a prjectionist at a movie theatre. That was pretty sweet at the time. But the best job by far would be the one I have now which is being a Dentist. smile.gif

It's my experience that there are no "worst jobs". No matter how bad off you think you are there is always someone who's worse off. My philosophy about work is that whatever job I'm working at is the best ever, that way I found I never dwelt on the bad aspects but focused instead on the good and therefore I was able to excell and make things better for myself. As it is with all things, though, there is one that stands out as "the worst" and it wasn't because of the work, it was because of my supervisor who was a miserable alcoholic stuck in a bad marriage and thought that everyone should be as miserable as she was and did her damnedest to make it happen every chance she got. I put up with it for eight months while quietly looking for another job but one day she simply pushed me too far and I walked out and never came back. It was either that or punch her, and I don't hit girls so that pretty much limited my options.

My best job is the one I am currently pursuing. I am in the middle of opening a business with my Father in law and I'm going to be doing something that's very near and dear to my heart and can't wait to get started! I'll post more about it later as I have plans to open a thread that will be related to it which just might help some of you one day.

Archived