Trapped girls call for help on Facebook

Slime

Maybe the internet really IS making us all dumber

(I was gonna post this in Reverse Polarity, but it's more of a general interest story)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/07/2678945.htm

The Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) in Adelaide says it is worrying that two girls lost in a stormwater drain raised the alert on a social networking site rather than ringing triple-0.

The 10- and 12-year-old girls updated a Facebook status to say they were lost in a drain on Honeypot Road at Hackham in Adelaide's southern suburbs on Sunday night.

Glenn Benham from the MFS says it was fortunate a young friend was online at the time and was able to call for help for them.

"It is a worry for us because it causes a delay on us being able to rescue the girls," he said.

"If they were able to access Facebook from their mobile phones, they could have called 000, so the point being they could have called us directly and we could have got there quicker than relying on someone being online and replying to them and eventually having to call us via 000 anyway."

QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 8 2009, 11:59 AM)

(I was gonna post this in Reverse Polarity, but it's more of a general interest story)

The Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) in Adelaide says it is worrying that two girls lost in a stormwater drain raised the alert on a social networking site rather than ringing triple-0.

The 10- and 12-year-old girls updated a Facebook status to say they were lost in a drain on Honeypot Road at Hackham in Adelaide's southern suburbs on Sunday night.

Glenn Benham from the MFS says it was fortunate a young friend was online at the time and was able to call for help for them.

"It is a worry for us because it causes a delay on us being able to rescue the girls," he said.

"If they were able to access Facebook from their mobile phones, they could have called 000, so the point being they could have called us directly and we could have got there quicker than relying on someone being online and replying to them and eventually having to call us via 000 anyway."

I guess posting it on Facebook gets them more attention. Unbelievable. Part of me wishes that there would have been some kind of glitch in the system and they'd have had to tough it out in the storm drain for a couple of days.

If they could log in to FB, then they could have dialed 000 or 911...OR, they could have called their parents or some other family or friend. Imagine that!

And, how'd they get into a storm drain in the first place?

The internet is training the next generation to be attention whores. Comforting.

Good grief. If anyone relied on me to check Facebook to rescue them, they'd starve to death.

Call 911.

they were some place dangerous where they were not supposed to be, probably doing something they were not supposed to do....

young kids, not wanting to get in trouble - that's why they posted it on Facebook to get a friend to come help them out as opposed to the authorities or their parents....

dumb.

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 8 2009, 01:35 PM)
they were some place dangerous where they were not supposed to be, probably doing something they were not supposed to do....

young kids, not wanting to get in trouble - that's why they posted it on Facebook to get a friend to come help them out as opposed to the authorities or their parents....

dumb.

yep

Gasp, you can call 000 on a cell phone?! That's like...SOOO news to me! OMGZ I need to post a comment about this on my Facebook and update my Twitter!!! LULZ

Im really starting to hate the way people are these days eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 8 2009, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 8 2009, 11:59 AM)

I guess posting it on Facebook gets them more attention. Unbelievable. Part of me wishes that there would have been some kind of glitch in the system and they'd have had to tough it out in the storm drain for a couple of days.

Tough love Jack!! rofl3.gif biggrin.gif

And back in the day, once your parents found out it was a good ole' ass whoopin' for being there in the first place. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Sep 8 2009, 04:55 PM)
Would have been poetic justice if instead of help they'd just got a load of Mafia Wars shite in their notifications laugh.gif

icon_alienjig.gif Along with a few friend requests from people they don't know, and maybe a little spam. laugh.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 8 2009, 08:26 PM)
Are they stupid or something? Twitter would have been a lot faster.

Sayin'?

laugh.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 8 2009, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 8 2009, 09:05 AM)

Tough love Jack!! rofl3.gif biggrin.gif

And back in the day, once your parents found out it was a good ole' ass whoopin' for being there in the first place. tongue.gif

You got it......and I knew I would've deserved it too, despite the fact that I wouldn't have liked it.

Now that same whoopin' might get you in the middle of a lawsuit. wacko.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 8 2009, 09:01 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Sep 8 2009, 03:57 PM)
THEY FACEBOOKED FOR HELP??

really, honestly, wtf??  I hope their parents smacked them but good.

Nope, can't do that these days. Parents go to jail or the kids get taken away. tongue.gif

OK, I see you already made that point.

With my son, I teach/train him while he's young, because I know that when he hits 10, he won't listen anymore.

Shoot, I'm having a hard time getting him to listen at the age of 5!

Archived