1. 1. Were The Beatles overrated?

• No. They were the greatest band ever!
    • Yes. They were great, but not the greatest
    • Yes. They were good, but not the greatest
    • Yes. They were just okay.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 1 2009, 06:07 PM)
The Beatles shook the world. They were the biggest band in history without a doubt.

But were they overrated?

You answered your own question. If the Beatles shook the world and were the biggest band in history without a doubt, how can they be overrated?

so my options are essentially either

-they were the greatest band ever, or

-they were overrated

although i used to find them overrated i don't any more, but i wouldnt necessarily call them the "greatest band ever" as i dont think such a title exists

I never felt that the Beatles were overrated. Other bands yes.gif The Beatles no.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 1 2009, 05:11 PM)
The Beatles shook the world. They were the biggest band in history without a doubt.

But were they overrated?

You answered your own question. If the Beatles shook the world and were the biggest band in history without a doubt, how can they be overrated?

Just because you are the biggest band in the world in history does not mean you are a great band.

American Idol is all the rage now. Do you think it is worth all the

bru-ha-ha it is getting?

I am not the biggest Beatles fan in the world but I do love them. They are not overrated at all.

I think George Harrison was the most underrated Beatle though.

He penned my favorite Beatles tune.

"Tax Man"

I dig SRV's version too.

I've been a Beatles fan for over 30 years. I never got bored with their music, not once. They're my favorite band of all-time, hands down.

I will say this, the sum is greater than the parts.

They got my vote...greatest ever.

I listened to The Who the other day and thought, "These guys could be the greatest band of all-time!" Then I listened to The Rolling Stones and I said to myself, "These guys are the greatest rock and roll band in the world." Then I listened to The Clash and thought, "These guys are as good as The Who and The Stones." Then I listened to The Beatles and felt nobody was as good as they were...and so on...and so on...and so on...

The Beatles set the tone for all others to follow. They were the first real " band" that had some artistic integrity. Were they the greatest players ? no. But like every other great band after them, its all about the songs and innovative ideas, and they delivered on both.

Not Overrated, IMO.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 1 2009, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 1 2009, 05:11 PM)

But were they overrated?

Just because you are the biggest band in the world in history does not mean you are a great band.

American Idol is all the rage now. Do you think it is worth all the

bru-ha-ha it is getting?

You're comparing the Beatles to "American Idol?"

Do I really need to explain why that comparison is so off base? I mean, I will if you want me to, but is it really necessary?

Just discovered: John Lennon recorded a fart in 1967. New compilations to follow. Priced to own at $39.95.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 1 2009, 05:38 PM)
I've been a Beatles fan for over 30 years. I never got bored with their music, not once. They're my favorite band of all-time, hands down.

This.

How can the biggest, most well-known, most revolutionary and influential band of all time, an incredible band who made several great albums and dozens of memorable timeless songs while forever changing the face of music and influencing everything that came after them be considered overrated? What am I missing here? tongue.gif

QUOTE (job @ Jun 2 2009, 07:05 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 1 2009, 05:38 PM)
I've been a Beatles fan for over 30 years.  I never got bored with their music, not once.  They're my favorite band of all-time, hands down.

This.

They were not the best musicians in the world by a long shot, but they made incredible use of what they had, and the combination of the four of them was magical.

And it's definitely a case of the sum being greater than the parts. Check out the subsequent solo albums as evidence. Paul's penchant for sill love songs was balanced out by John Lennon's extreme seriousness. When they went solo, Paul got way too silly, almost comical, and John got deathly serious. Even still they made some really good material, but nothing matched what they did together. And the best Beatles solo album wasn't by John OR Paul!

Archived